Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

At the moment i'm reading Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. Very interesting even for someone like me who isnt particularly math orientated.:umbrella:

Is that new? I know for sure I read Simon's book on Codes & that I enjoyed his writing style. Will you give us a short review when you finish? Thanks for sharing.:Glasses: :shrug:

Couldn't sleep 2:00am, so I picked up Asterix and the Laurel Wreath.

You're never too old to enjoy Asterix - or tintin for that matter. I still love picking up the books once in a while and having a read through. :D

At the moment i'm reading Fermat's Last Theorem by Simon Singh. Very interesting even for someone like me who isnt particularly math orientated.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I just recently finished the short story 'The Man Who Fell to Earth'. Typical Cold War era Sci-fi, but very well done. I enjoyed it. Now I'm reading a book titled. "The Ghost that Haunted Itself" Which is the history of Greyfriars Kirkyard (In Edinburgh, Scotland) and stories about the reported hauntings there. Very interesting stuff. :doh:

Well, I just recently finished the short story 'The Man Who Fell to Earth'. Typical Cold War era Sci-fi, but very well done.

I have given up on Science Fiction.

Too hard to find anything readable. I have read all the classics (even the trashy classics like E 'Doc' Smith).

They all seem to be about post-holocaust doom these days

I am reading Umberto Eco's "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" quite different from The Name of the Rose which I gave up on.

This is about memory. Funny book.. .

If you are Italian and grew up after WW2 you should read it; . . otherwise I 'm not sure.. . You would either be intrigued with it (as I am) or hate it

Just read Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer and Artemis Fowl The Arctic Incident

Great fun, a bit like the Boy's Own Annual meets the 20C.

The first won various Children's Book of the Year awards in Britain.

Artemis is a 12yo 'criminal mastermind' with a Kung-fu master Butler/bodyguard.

Imagine a world where the Faeries have developed their technology slightly ahead of our own.

They have various protective devices in place. So if you want a Pot of Fairy Gold. . .

Good fun reads, real page turners.

i am reading a good book entitles synchronicity by CG Jung.

Great read. You should check out his work "Archetypes and the Collective Unconscious" too if that is of interest to you. He goes into more detail and the read clarified many of his ideas for me.

Right now, I'm reading a little known story, probably none of you have heard of, it's centered around a fish and some alcoholic. Was written by some dude named German Melbourne or something like that. It's called Moby Dick.

:D

Gosh, that's just wrong on several levels. :D

I am reading Umberto Eco's "The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana" quite different from The Name of the Rose which I gave up on.

This is about memory. Funny book.. .

If you are Italian and grew up after WW2 you should read it; . . otherwise I 'm not sure.. . You would either be intrigued with it (as I am) or hate it

I adore Umberto Eco! Just after I turned 18 I got "Ma gavte la nata" tattooed on my arm, in deference to my favourite book, Foucault's Pendulum. :lol:

Right now I'm reading Unintelligent Design by Robyn Williams, and Moab Is My Washpot by Stephen Fry (again). I'm trudging through the Leviathan and Second Treatise of Government for my philosophy course, but I don't think they count as recreational reading. I'd certainly enjoy them a lot more if I didn't have to read them. Especially the Leviathan, because Hobbes has such a charming style of prose.