Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

• 2 weeks later...

Currently i'm reading 'the man who mistook his wife for a hat' by Oliver Sacks.

Its basically a collection of stories of people with some of the wierdest neurological conditions that he has encountered during his career.

Also, im reading Mitchio Kaku Hyperspace and Michael Tablots the Holographic universe which are both very good reads.

I have just finished:

Mars: The Living Planet Digregorio et al Examination of evidence for life on Mars

The Dinosaur Hunters Deborah Cadbury A story of scientific rivalry and the discovery of the prehistoric world

Man of Everest Tenzing Norgay/James Ullman Autobiography of Tenzing

These are on my bedside table and are what I am currently reading.

Before The Flood Ian Wilson Dramatic new evidence the Biblical Flood was a real-life event

The Ancestor's Tale Richard Dawkins A Pilgrimage to the Dawn of Life

Lorna Doone R.D.Blackmore

In The Kingdom of Gorillas Bill Webber and Amy Vedder The Quest to save Rwanda's mountain gorillas

RedemptionArk Alastair Reynolds Science fiction novel

The Tesseract Alex Garland Complex novel by the author of The Beach

Black, White & Gold Kelly Holmes Autobiography of double gold Olympic medallist

Venus II Bougher et al Geology, geophysics, atmosphere and solar wind environment

Chasing the Molecule John Buckingham The development of the understanding of molecular structure

The Whig Supremacy 1714-1760 Basil Williams Vol 11 of The Oxford History of England

The Age of Reform 1815-1870 Sir Llewellyn Woodard Vol 13 of The Oxford History of England

National Geographic Encylopedia of Space

Origins Ron Redfern The evolution of continents, ocean and life

1776 by McCoullagh. I think I misspelled his name. A very refreshing read on the people and events in American history that led to our independence.

The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkings. Anything by RD is going to be a literate and mind expanding treat. He is one of the three best living writers of the English language, IMHO.

Illiad and Olympos by Simmons. Science fiction epic that makes all other epics look like limericks. What if the Trojan War was being directed by <real> Gods on a <real> Mount Olympos? The great volcano on Mars? And humans living right now had been resurrected after their deaths [over the next ten years from now] to serve as stage managers and journalists of the greatest war in recorded Human history? Boggles to the max.

Darwin's Dangerous Idea by Daniel C. Dennett. My second time through this amazing book. He is another of the three BLWOTEL, IMHO. A tour de force defense of Evolution as the only plausible explanation for the diversity and complexity of not just biologic Life, but of damn near everything.

The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell: I just got into it and I don't have an opinion yet...he sure likes to sound controversial though! :)

The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford: If you liked Freakonomics you'll love this one: I like it better...

Ex Libris,

Buffy

i love Stephen Baxter. Vacuum Diagrams was one my favorite books ever.

right now i'm reading some philosophy. Nietzsche specifically, as well as other 20th century existentialism thinkers. also found the entire text of Muhammad Iqbal's book on 'Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam' online, for free. if anyone wants the link, just pm me.

right now i'm reading some philosophy. Nietzsche specifically, as well as other 20th century existentialism thinkers. also found the entire text of Muhammad Iqbal's book on 'Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam' online, for free. if anyone wants the link, just pm me.

___Please by all means post the link publicaly; "Hypography" is a contraction of "Hyper-Link" & " Biography". Posting such links is part & parcel of the forum's intention.

___I am currently reading free online versions of Buckminster Fuller's Synergetics & Kent Robertson's Gravity is the 4th Dimension. Links to follow BRB:cup:

___Please by all means post the link publicaly; "Hypography" is a contraction of "Hyper-Link" & " Biography". Posting such links is part & parcel of the forum's intention.

___I am currently reading free online versions of Buckminster Fuller's Synergetics & Kent Robertson's Gravity is the 4th Dimension. Links to follow BRB

Links:

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/synergetics.html

http://einstein.periphery.cc/gravity.htm

:rolleyes:

___I am currently reading free online versions of Buckminster Fuller's Synergetics & Kent Robertson's Gravity is the 4th Dimension. Links to follow BRB

Links:

http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/synergetics/synergetics.html

http://einstein.periphery.cc/gravity.htm

:rolleyes:

http://www.yespakistan.com/iqbal/reconstruction/ :)

Guest Mace Sin

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell. Excellent book, too. I'm up to the point where he's just questioned the old Prole about his memories before the Revolution.

Winston's been stuck standing outside the Prole Bar ever since about five hours now that I've stopped reading.

• 2 weeks later...