Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

Current readings are research papers from the University of Tokyo. One of the more interesting articles: Telemetric Robot skin and it's continuation. Nice diagram of a Colpitts Oscillator, and information regarding induction power.

Both articles are technical, but simplified to the point anyone can understand most of it by just reading the text.

• 1 month later...

currently reading Mindfield by Gregory Corso

a few tom robbins novels

poetry by T S Eliot

billy corgans poetry book called Blinking with fists

the myth of sisyphus by albert camus- amazing philosophy i love it

and to top it off im reading HOW TO STAY ALIVE IN THE WOODS

hehehehehehehehehehehe

Here's some to try out.

The Man Who Measured London, The Curious Life of Robert Hooke - not too bad.

The Book Nobody Read (about Copernicus, and the search for all extant copies of his masterwork) - Very good.

Alan Furst's books, WWII espionage. Great fiction.

Hagakure - The Book of the Samurai. Extremely good.

In between things, I've been listening to the Feynman Physics lectures on audiotape. Wow.

Fiction. Totally fiction. I spent three months in deep school mode, and now I can't soak up enough trash.

Just read "Can you keep a secret?" by Sophie Kinsella (same author of the Shopaholic series)

Also just read "Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue". Both pretty good reads. Second one was deeper than the first.

Have no idea what i will read tomorrow. May have to take the day off from reading, as I'm gonna be a bit busy, but who knows. I may just sneak in some quick little 200 pager for fun in the morning... :cup:

Inspired by recent fervor over the recent release of a movie version of C.S.Lewis’s “The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe”, I’ve started the first book of Phillip Pullman’s “Golden Compass” trilogy, “His Dark Materials”. Like Lewis’s “Narnia” books, Pullman’s series is considered juvenile fiction, but is widely read and liked by adults. Pullman has been recently been in the news for describing Lewis’s series as containing “One of the most vile moments in the whole of children's literature” (see http://www.crlamppost.org/darkside.htm).

So far, I’ve only a few narrative style complaints, feel a sympathetic connection with several characters, and am eager to get to the bottom of the book’s slowly emerging mysteries.

I like to read a wide variety of subjects!

At college right now, I'm reading Structural Kinesiology - the study of bodily movements, (ie Adduction of the glenohumeral joint ) pretty dry stuff:shrug:

and Exercise Physiology. Go ahead and ask me about the Krebs Cycle!

For my own pleasure, I'm reading a book called " Secret Tactics, Lessons from the Great Masters of Martial Arts " by Kazumi Tabata. The martial arts being from 1500 - 1800 Japan. Interesting. Those guys were pretty smart AND bad ***!

I'm also a bit of a nerd because I like to read comic books. I don't usually go for the Super-hero tripe thats been rehashed over and over, but rather Sci- Fi ,independent, and funny. I really think Comic Books are an underrated Medium. Its a great fusion of literature and art. Theres some good stuff if you know how to look.

Also, I mainly stick with Classics when it comes to novels. Steinbeck is my favorite, ( modern classic) " The Winter of Discontent" was the last of his I read, but my favorites are the " Cannery Row " and " Tortilla Flats " era of his writing.

Dickens is still good and relevant! I read "Oliver Twist " a while ago and loved it!

I'm also a bit of a nerd because I like to read comic books. I don't usually go for the Super-hero tripe thats been rehashed over and over, but rather Sci- Fi ,independent, and funny. I really think Comic Books are an underrated Medium. Its a great fusion of literature and art. Theres some good stuff if you know how to look.

You should consider picking up some of Neil Gaiman's novels, if you haven't already. He wrote the (now classic) Sandman comics before he branched out into novels.

-Will