Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

Barbara Kingsolver, author of the The Poisonwood Bible.

I was just talking to Yvonne about this book a few weeks back.

This was an awesome one, and I really enjoyed it. Very descriptive, and had lots to think on, especially as a Baptist, and almost missionary. But my favorite part had nothing to do with religion, and everything to do with mothering... I LOVED the description she used when talking about the love you feel for your 'baby'. It hit the nail on the head for me. It's NOT that you love any of your other children less, or anything like that. It just seems, for me, with my baby, I make more TIME to love her, and I KNOW that there will be no more, until I get grandchildren, so it makes the loving time more special, almost bittersweet. But the descriptions she uses just really fit for me. Honestly, although the book is not in my Top 3, the way the author describes emotions is about as real as anything I've read in quite a while.

Of course, for fiction, I also like Anita Shreve. I'm reading "The last time they met", for the third time. I LOVE that book.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m currently reading Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes it is a graphic novel and, so far, is very good, written by: Neil Gaiman. I am also reading Stephen Hawkings – Black Holes and Baby Universes and Other Essays. I just finished American Gods, also by Neil Gaiman, I thought it was very well written.

Constitutional Chaos : What Happens When the Government Breaks Its Own Laws

It's an inside view of the U.S. legal system by someone who has been an attorney, a law professor, a commentator and a judge. Judge Napolitano has studied the system inside and out, leading him to establish his general creed: “The government is not your friend.”

I'm currently reading "The War of the Flowers", by Tad Williams; who is in my opinion the best Science Fiction and Fantasy writter on the scene at the moment. And I have just finished reading The Fabric of the Cosmos: Space, Time, and the Texture of Reality by Brian Greene, I didn't think it was as good as The Elegant Universe, but it's good light reading for any beginner :eek: .

• 2 weeks later...

I have a habit on message boards of putting my current reading material in my signature.

Age of Spiritual Machines is slightly out of date (from 1999), but a very interesting look into the future of technology from a great mind, Ray Kurzweil, whose own additions to technology have probably affected your life in some way.

The Golden Transcendence is the third part of a trilogy by John C. Wright (after The Golden Age and The Phoenix Exultant). It is a very far future science fiction story that is one of the most interesting and thought-provoking things I've read in a while. Highly recommended.

• 1 month later...

Currently finishing up a review for the radio about David Bodanis' latest book, "Electric Universe - the shocking true story of electricity". Sadly, it is not extremely good.

However, Richard Morgan's latest sci-fi crime/thriller "Woken Furies" is a masterpiece.

On the Road is a great book, but not to heavy in the brain department IMHO.
I agree Fish. Orb, if you want Beat stuff you should definitely read Ginzberg's Howl and Neal Cassidy's "The First Third" (really hard to find, but contact City Lights Books in San Francisco, as they're the publisher). Also any Gary Snyder, and shame on you if you haven't read Brautigan's Trout Fishing In America or The Abortion (although Brautigan is more Sixties flower power, its definitely beat influenced).
I like something with a bit of meat on it just make your head hurt. Read some Faulkner... You got to love a guy that would get drunk and naked in a tree and throw things at passers-by.
Faulkner favorite: As I Lay Dying. Got to be one of my favorite books of all time.... Light in August is also really good, and The Reivers is pure fun.

Literarily yours,

Buffy

Just finished "The Newtonian Moment" by Mordechai Feingold, and I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread: its interesting but you need to have already read a Newton bio and have some history of science background or you'll be a bit lost. Pretty good commentary on the melieu wrought by the overthrow of Cartesianism (if you understand that sentence, you will love the book).

Wrong time of year I guess, but just started in reading "Holidays On Ice" by David Sedaris which was a gift from my step-sister: it looks to be amusing, light and non-scientific....

Cheers,

Buffy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...