Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I'm currently reading The Truth (no. 25). Not getting sick of them yet.

Can I also recommend any of Tom Sharpe's books -- Wilt, Blott on the Landscape and The Throwback are particualarly good.

Blott on the Landscape is the second funniest book I have ever read.

did you see the BBC version of it with Michael Suset? It was hilarious. About time they bought it back for a re-run

The funniest? an Australian one-off "autobiographical" called Mozart's Maulers about the Sydney Conservatorium's Rugby team. (!?)

Blott on the Landscape is the second funniest book I have ever read.

did you see the BBC version of it with Michael Suset? It was hilarious. About time they bought it back for a re-run

Yes I did -- in fact, that was my introduction to Sharpe's work. And, yeah, it would be great to see that series repeated.

Oh, and it was David Suchet ;), who most recently appeared on our tellys as Hercules Poirot. After seeing that series, I realised who Adrian Monk is based on.

*Considers petitioning the ABC.*

David Suchet :eek:,

*Considers petitioning the ABC.*

How can he do Blot and then Hercules Poirot(the best ever)?? Amazing! What a wonderful gift he has.

As an Ozzie you would love Motzart's Maulers

(Don't you hate it when people tell you something is great and your high expectations are not realised?- so approch it with no expectations. If you like Rugby or Music you will like the book)

How do we start petitioning the ABC/BBC?

As an Ozzie you would love Motzart's Maulers

If you like Rugby or Music you will like the book)

Not big on Rugby (test cricket's more my speed), but I'm a pianist, guitarist and singer, as well as piano and guitar teacher by profession, so I guess you could say I have more than a passing interest in music! :eek: I'll have a look for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished "Lifting the Veil" by Linda Jean Shepard (Dr.)Shambhala 1993

A fantastic book that every female scientist should read. (It should be compulsory)

Every male scientist should read it to see what they are missing.

An amazing book packed full of ideas that could change your life.

Highly recommended; especially if you are into Jung

I am reading two books right now:

Building Scalable Web Sites: Building, Scaling, and Optimizing the Next Generation of Web Applications, by Cal Henderson

Diamond Age, by Neal Stephenson

The web-neredery book is by one of the Flickr architects and reveals soooo many great secrets about higher level website creation, deployment, and maintenance. Such a great read with so many links to valuable tools.

I am loving Diamond Age. I am researching nanotechnology pretty heavy right now for an exhibit I am helping to develop on the subject. So getting a Sci-Fi look at a nano-tech future is really helpful. The story is pretty artfully written with very nice characters.

• 4 weeks later...

"Gold Warriors, America's Secret recovery of Yamashita's Gold"

Sterling and Peggy Seagrave

Ever wonder why Japan recovered so quickly after WW2?

Why the ruling political party has been in power for 60 years?

Why Marcos was so incredibly wealthy?

Why the CIA could fund anti- Communist forces everywhere?

Why US presidents after the war were so flush with campaign funds?(including Bush snr)

If you are not cynical before reading the book you will be after.

Japan stashed trillions in precious metals and gold,they had stolen in Asia, for use after the war by the ruling elite.

The CIA got their share too.

Is there any hope for the human race?

I am reading two books right now:

I am loving Diamond Age. I am researching nanotechnology pretty heavy right now for an exhibit I am helping to develop on the subject. So getting a Sci-Fi look at a nano-tech future is really helpful. The story is pretty artfully written with very nice characters.

I just finished listening to Diamond Age not too long ago. Have you read Snow Crash? I rather enjoyed both, but if I had to be a pick a fav I'd go with Snow Crash.

Right now I am reading:

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

I Went to Vassar for This? by Naomi Neale

and listening to Devoted by Alice Borchardt

I'm SUPPOSED to be reading some vb.net book for school right now, but I've been procrastinating.