Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

Just finished Jo Bannister's "No Birds Sing"

I really enjoyed it gritty,sometimes shocking, crime drama with three interesting detectives, (especially Donovan) humour, humanity, empathy, an eye for detail and the skill of an Irishwoman to spin a tale within a tale.

As a male I found the insights into how rape affects women and all the people in the community and family around them an education

They sound a bit wacky

I don't know much about the people who participate in the order, I've just been reading about their meditative rituals, and symbology.

I find it very interesting because I like to play with magick on a daily basis, and it's fun to read about how others are going about it in the world.

The way I see it. I am a living thing. I stare at a book. Crazy things happen in my brain when I read. It's like this symphony of confusing words and ideas...

When things don't make sense, my brain works so hard to find a way for it to make sense

and I laugh my *** off.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm into my Jeffrey Archer collection again. Almost done with 'Kane and Abel', will read 'The Prodigal Daughter' next. Every couple of years, I read his books again. I know the stories, but he's such a good storyteller that I enjoy his handling of the language all over again.

The Future of Life

by Edward O. Wilson...

It's probably the saddest text I've ever read! :(

Here's a quote:

"Suppose that the conventionally measured global economic output, now at about $31 trillion, were to expand at a healthy 3 percent annually. By 2050 it would in theory reach $138 trillion. With only a small leveling adjustment to this income, the entire world population would be prosperous by today's standards. Utopia at last, it would seem! What is the flaw in the argument? It is the environment crumbling beneath us. If natural resources, particularly fresh water and arable land, continue to diminish at their present per-capita rate, the economic boom will lose steam, in the course of which-and this worries me even if it doesn't worry you-the effort to enlarge productive land will wipe out a large part of the world's fauna and flora."

I am 2/3 of the way through "A World Lit Only By Fire" by Manchester.

It is basically an "historical snapshot" around the year 1500--say, the 4 decades to either side of that year. It describes people, places, culture and events that both defined the late Medieval Age, and marked its demise. Fascinating book, well written, entertaining, insightful, damn good read.

I am 2/3 of the way through "A World Lit Only By Fire" by Manchester.

It is basically an "historical snapshot" around the year 1500--say, the 4 decades to either side of that year. It describes people, places, culture and events that both defined the late Medieval Age, and marked its demise. Fascinating book, well written, entertaining, insightful, damn good read.

Sounds fascinating

You might like to try Barbara W. Tuchman's 14th Century book (A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century )

after you have finished?

She writes well for a historian, and it is an easy read, although I can't remember a word of it.

A review from amazon:-

Amazon.com

In this sweeping historical narrative, Barbara Tuchman writes of the cataclysmic 14th century, when the energies of medieval Europe were devoted to fighting internecine wars and warding off the plague.

Some medieval thinkers viewed these disasters as divine punishment for mortal wrongs; others, more practically, viewed them as opportunities to accumulate wealth and power.

One of the latter, whose life informs much of Tuchman's book, was the French nobleman Enguerrand de Coucy, who enjoyed the opulence and elegance of the courtly tradition while ruthlessly exploiting the peasants under his thrall.

Tuchman looks into such events as the Hundred Years War, the collapse of the medieval church, and the rise of various heresies, pogroms, and other events that caused medieval Europeans to wonder what they had done to deserve such horrors.

Amazon.com: A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century: Books: Barbara W. Tuchman http://www.amazon.com/Distant-Mirror-Calamitous-14th-Century/dp/0345349571

There are some other interesting reviews on that page too