Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

umm, lol, I don't think I have ever read a book. (the whole thing) lol :)

I read a bit online but mostly just enjoy the journey of trying to figure things out on my own. I get to cheat once and awhile on the net but I like the idea of learning things on my own (like our forefathers did) and then checking my conclusions to data on the net. I not only get a deep understanding and gratification but I like the idea of sweeping through the whole of things (mainly refering to physics) leaving no rock unturned.

Although, now that I have taken such interest in physics and well everything else, I should start getting some books.

Michio Kaku's book called "Einstein's Cosmos" : that sounds like a good read...no if I can just be my life in order!

Just finished "Adrian Mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction" by Sue Townsend. What a load of fun! Anyone else been following the life of career loser Adrian Mole?

I read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole and The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole when I was at school, but I didn't realise there were so many more books. I guess they're next on my list.

I just finished reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip Dick, a science fiction novel written in the 60s. It was okay, but I've read better science fiction.

I read The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole and The Growing Pains of Adrian Mole when I was at school, but I didn't realise there were so many more books. I guess they're next on my list.

I just finished reading The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch by Philip Dick, a science fiction novel written in the 60s. It was okay, but I've read better science fiction.

You should look it up!

In the first book, The Secret Diary, ol' Adrian is all of 13 years old. In Adrian mole and the Weapons of Mass Destruction, he's 35, and battling with all of life's issues! It's seriously a cool series...

::) I have 20 novels, 3 informational books and 5 books on programming, for a grand total of 28 books. 1.4% of your total.

Only 28??!:cup: I am only ten but I have read about from 50 to 60 books so far. I'm waiting for ONE book. It's The Seventh Year for Harry Potter. I don't remeber it's name. I saw it's name once on the Indian papers, The Hindu, and something about the name being " Harry Potter & the Horrible Wisps" or something like that. I'm a big fan of it. I've seen 4 of the movies and read 6 of the books. J.K. Rowling is THE best in my opinion but that's my opinion. It's a little childish but apart from that I've read Robin Cook (a great Sci-Fi author) and George Orwell.

I totally LOVE reading but I've resorted to reading my school text books because my parents need to buy me more books. When I get back to U.S. I need to really catch up on the book world because I've been here in India for about 2 years and everthing here is a bit slower than the U.S.

I also read some other books for time-pass like Poppy, Mr. Poppers Penguins and other short stories. Then, after I'm done reading all those twice then I go on to some bigger, but still childish, books like the tri-series called the Black Magician Triology. Also there's yet another series called the Darren Shan Saga. It's about a human boy who becomes a HALF-vampire after stealing the guy's poisonous spider. It's about the dark and light of the vampire world. So that's all that's come into store for me that I like.

Just read "Skellig " another book by David Almond (see my post on "The Fire Eaters" earlier.) ;)

A simple book but for the last hour I couldn't get out of the bath until I finished it! ;)

Also, just read his Kit's Wilderness enjoyed it very much.

Lots of info on him here:-

David Almond: Information from Answers.com

s Perri Klass noted, writing about Skellig in the New York Times Book Review, the book's charm lies in its author's courage for allowing some things to remain a mystery.

"In its simple but poetic language, its tender refusal to package its mysteries neatly or offer explanations for what happens in either world, it goes beyond adventure story or family-with-a-problem story to become a story about worlds enlarging and the hope of scattering death."

There is a wonderful and deceptive simplicity in his writing and there are some extraordinary cameo moments and he knows children and childhood really well.

The books will be in your local library as he is a Carnegie and Whitbread winner. “Skellig” was his first attempt at writing for children and he won award after award for it. It is really important not to read the blurbs until after you have finished the novels which are quite short and easy reading. His description of his own childhood which I’ve copied is a small indication of how he encapsulates a whole world in a few sentences.

Almond grew up on the fringes of a Northern English city, a landscape that offered great imaginative possibilities for him.

He describes his childhood: “As a youth, I grew up in a big extended Catholic family. I listened to the stories and songs at family parties. I listened to the gossip that filled Dragon's coffee shop. I ran with my friends through the open spaces and the narrow lanes.

We scared each other with ghost stories told in fragile tents on dark nights. We promised never-ending friendship and whispered of the amazing journeys we'd take together.

I sat with my grandfather in his allotment, held tiny Easter chicks in my hands while he smoked his pipe and the factory sirens wailed and larks yelled high above.

I trembled at the images presented to us in church, at the awful threats and glorious promises made by black-clad priests with Irish voices. I scribbled stories and stitched them into little books.

I disliked school and loved the library, a little square building in which I dreamed that books with my name on them would stand one day on the shelves.

I loved Arthurian legends, Hemingway, John Wyndham, the tales of the fake Tibetan monk, Lobsang Rampa."

Four years ago the BBC conducted a poll to determine Britain's favourite novels. The results can be found here:

BBC - The Big Read - Top 100 Books

I had read barely a quarter of these, so recently I started to work my way through the remainder. I am have just started on His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

Eclogite: Thanks, that's an interesting list. Judging by the number of children's books it seems adult Brits dont read much.
I think this is more a reflection of the fact that we retain a deep affection for books we read in our childhood. I probably reread Alice every five years or so, while Arthur Ransome's works will always have a warm spot in my heart, even if I rarely revisit them.

Eclogite: Thanks, that's an interesting list. Judging by the number of children's books it seems adult Brits dont read much.

I feel most of the best fiction today is being written for young adults. They never condecend.

The books generally have a strong story line and don't rely on sex sin and sadism for thrills.

EG

"Red Shift"

"The Dark is Rising" series (Susan Cooper) thrilling, scary books leave Harry Potter in the dust

"The Ghost of Thomas Kempe" (great one for budding herbalists. I love it funny and fun and right)

Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

"Tom's Midnight Garden"

The Children of Greenknowe series (fabulous, gentle, simple, intriguing with timeless echoes)

"I am David"

Ruth Park

Mary Stewart's Arthur series

"The Owl Service" (great scary, timeless evocative book) anything else by garner

All come readily to mind

Anything that has won a The Carnegie Medal or

The Kate Greenaway Medal

Books for kids (and people like me who refuse to grow up) with an Australian bias:-

Books and Reading for Young PeopleBooks and Reading for Young People

The CILIP Carnegie & Kate Greenaway Living Archive

The God beneth the sea" (If you want to brush up on your greek mythology)

Some Australian book favorites

My Favourite Book - The Top 100

Kids top 10

My Favourite Book - Kids Top 10

My Favourite Book - Your favourites: the results: analysis by Mark MacLeod

Clearly Australians still love to read about people who have a tough life but survive, and harbour no bitterness. Facey's A Fortunate Life may not be the best written story ever published, but it is one of the most honestly felt and best lived – and this story of a previously unknown man is a classic that we like to think represents us all.

This is such a simple book but all the more powerful because of it.

People outside of Australia may not have come across it.

Four years ago the BBC conducted a poll to determine Britain's favourite novels. The results can be found here:

BBC - The Big Read - Top 100 Books

I had read barely a quarter of these, so recently I started to work my way through the remainder. I am have just started on His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice.

His Dark Materials is my favorite fantasy series. Brilliant.

I'm reading The Counter-Creationism Handbook, which is basically Talk.Origins' index of creationist claims in book form.