Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I just read Forrest Gump by Winston Groom.

Read it a few weeks ago, much better than the movie! Ole' Forrest makes a turn in space, as well, a scene which never made it to the film script.

There are plenty other non-movie scenes as well, which made it a pretty good read!

(Granted - the movie had a much better soundtrack than the book...)

Currently reading the final book by Neal Stephenson (not his last, but the only one I haven't read - I think). It's titled The Diamond Age.

Stephenson is a fantastic writer. His Baroque trilogy was stunning but far far far too long. I have just completed Interface, Cobweb, and Snow Crash, and they were all quite good.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Just read a most delightful and moving book by David Almond called The Fire Eaters.

Got it from the young adult section of the library.

He has won the Whitebread and Carnegie medals, for other books, so I thought why not?

Wow what a deceptively powerful and simple little book

It is simply written like a Hemingway with the power of a Steinbeck

Amazing, quietly evocative, atmospheric book set on the pebble coal beaches in a poor 1962 N England

Good read - now I have to find the ones he did win medals for and who beat him in 2003 when he published this. It must have been some book!

im reading catch 22, and have been for more months than id care to mention. i keep getting disracted by actual degree work, selfish. that involves quantum mechanics my I M Rae and my bible physics for scientists and engineers, affectionatly refered to in my department by the auther's name of Tipler. legendary.

The Weather Makers

by Tim Flannery,( annouced, oddly, today as Astralian of the year.)

7.30 Report - 25/01/2007: Tim Flannery announced Australian of the Year

The scariest book I have read in along time.

Things you thought you knew about Global Warming but were afraid to ask. Some stuff I knew but a lot I didn't- like rising sea temps 4-5miles under.

Oddly because we have not signed the Koto Protocol along with Lichtenstein, Monarco and some other tin pot county who's name escapes me:) .

Tomorrow it will be 20C in local sea/surf.

15C in city of Hobart

• 2 weeks later...