Science Forums

So what is everyone reading?

Tormod

I'm currently reading:

Five Great German Short Stories, Translated and edited by Stanley Applebaum. It might be more helpful if I listed the stories:

Das Erdbeben in Chili by Heinrich Von Kleist

Der Sandmannby E.T.A. Hoffmann

Leutnant Gustlby Arthur Shnitzler

Tristanby Thomas Mann

und

Das Urteilby Franz Kafka

I'm on "The Sandman", which is good. I gave up on "The Earthquake in Chile", as I'm trying to learn German and the mixture of German and Spanish words was just confusing.

I am also reading "Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre", a collection of stories by H.P. Lovecraft.

Das Urteilby Franz Kafka

Kafka has always been the main reason I've thought about learning German. Reading Don Quixote in Spanish was a very enjoyable experience....

Currently breezing through Michael Pollan's "The Omnivore's Dilemma" which I'm not sure I'm all that fond of, but its okay.

Wie sagen Sie "giant insect" auf Deutsch?

Buffy

Has anyone read any of Tom Robbins' work?

I've practically everything he's ever written. His books are just my favorite.

He writes fiction and incorporates his own wisdom.

No body writes like him! He's just so intense, creative, and his stories are so complex the way they work themselves out-

Still life with woodpecker.

Even cowgirls get the blues.

Skinny legs and all.

Half Asleep in frog pajamas.

villa incognito.

jitterbug perfume.

If you're looking for a good story, check out Tom Robbins.

I just finished reading skinny legs and all and I'm just in one of those really inspired moods!

sticks and stones may break my bones

and words make me weep just the same.

After you finish Dante's version of "The Inferno", try to find "Inferno" http://www.amazon.com/Inferno-Larry-Niven/dp/0671826581/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-3569521-1243234?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174068013&sr=1-1 by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

It's a science fiction/fantasy story of an SF author who dies and wakes up in Dante Alighieri's version of Hell as described in "The Inferno". Wonderful story. Good clever ending.

im reading catch 22, and have been for more months than id care to mention. .

I loved that book! :) Its poignant and will keep you laughing.

However, I heard that Joseph Heller wasn't really the author, but rather an old Army nurse by the name of Hellen something? (thus the last name of Heller)

Can anyone confirm that?

I finally returned Turtles biography this week on Ben Franklin. A super read at 500 pages.. 'ol Ben was some cat.

Now its a re-reading of 'Secret Tactics' by Kazumi Tabata.. about old Japanese sword masters.

After you finish Dante's version of "The Inferno", try to find "Inferno" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.

It's a science fiction/fantasy story of an SF author who dies and wakes up in Dante Alighieri's version of Hell as described in "The Inferno". Wonderful story. Good clever ending.

thst book only raises the question,"whats my place in hell"