Science Forums

Explain your avatars!

Tormod

We have a similar problem here with deer in some areas. There are a variety of whistles available to fasten to the cars bumper to scare them out of the road as you approach. They go by names like Deer Alarm and Deer Alert and work with various rates of success. Perhaps a similar approach would work there with the wombats.

They don't move that fast, although they can run. I guess what I mean is that they have a great deal of momentum, so have trouble accelerating (i.e. changing direction), and can't get out of your way -- not quick, not bright. I've never hit one (touch wood) but my son has. I was also following a small 4-cyl car once (like a Corolla or something), and it seemed to leap into the air like it had come off a small stunt ramp -- it had run over a wombat.

We have a similar problem here with deer in some areas. There are a variety of whistles available to fasten to the cars bumper to scare them out of the road as you approach. They go by names like Deer Alarm and Deer Alert and work with various rates of success. Perhaps a similar approach would work there with the wombats.

Don't you have to be going at a fair rate of speed for the whistles to work? Isn't that exactly the opposite of what you want to be doing at dusk in deer country? There's nothing like whipping around a curve to discover a herd of 10 deer crossing the road en masse.

And I've come home at night in rutting season to discover a large, irritable, and unintimidated buck in the driveway.

They don't move that fast, although they can run. I guess what I mean is that they have a great deal of momentum, so have trouble accelerating (i.e. changing direction), and can't get out of your way -- not quick, not bright.

You have to react differently depending on what runs in front of you. For a squirrel, steer away from the side of the road he started, because he'll see you and turn back. For a pheasant, steer toward the side of the road they started, because they are stupid, and keep going. For a deer, slam on the brakes, and don't steer, because no one knows which way they will jump.

For a deer, slam on the brakes, and don't steer, because no one knows which way they will jump.

That's pretty much how it works with kangaroos. I've even had one slam into the side of my car -- buckled the driver's door and scared the daylights out of the driver (me)! :hihi: They jump out of roadside bushes around dawn and dusk. You virtually don't stand a chance of missing them.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

My company won't spring for Photoshop so I can crop large images.

[grazzle-fraggit!]

Since I am a stamp collector of sorts, I knew of an auction site that posted images of about the right size! I picked Ben Franklin cause he is a hero of mine, and he kinda looks like me in a wig.

If I had a wig.