Science Forums

Explain your avatars!

Tormod

I think you're saving it as an "icon". Just try saving it as a normal jpg and you should be fine! The mac wants "Icons" to be 50x50...

I'm not familiar with this...where does it limit "icons" to 50x50? Is "icon" a file type on the mac? :hyper:

EDIT: Asking because I do use a Mac and have never had this problem. But then I use Photoshop for everyting.

But yes, the jpg or gif format is the way to go.

___Oooohhh Yvonne! Do you quilt? I have wanted to quilt some of my Katabatak patterns Tormod is musicalizing, but I can't sew a straight line. Is you avatar a quilt you made?

___Uhhh... I keep changing my avatar...it's kinda fun but I hope not distracting.:hyper:

It's actually a small 3 * 2,5 inch - not really quited but the letter H is sewn on. I do quilt, patchwork and purses... but I usually make my own patterns as I go...

My avatar is a guy in a hot dog suit. I use it for a forum where I post a lot (over 5000 posts there), and it just grew on me. I picked it out because I thought it stood out well and I wanted to be able to see my own posts clearly in threads. It led to me being commonly referred to as "hot dog," which is funny because I don't eat hot dogs (not the beef variety anyway).

Have any you played Civilization? You should, it is one of the greatest games ever invented. That where I got the avatar. It is the sciencitific leader from Civilization 3 Conquests (which I don't have). I thought it looked cool, so I stole it from the Civfanatics forums and resized it fit the dimentions of the board.

Have any you played Civilization? You should, it is one of the greatest games ever invented. That where I got the avatar. It is the sciencitific leader from Civilization 3 Conquests (which I don't have). I thought it looked cool, so I stole it from the Civfanatics forums and resized it fit the dimentions of the board.

I was so incredibly addicted to that game for a while. Right after I bought it, I broke my ankle and was out of work for a couple of weeks. I just sat there ant played Civ3 all day.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I thought it was a chair! LOL

Yeah, it gets kind of funny because members explain their avatars and then change them without changing their explanation. If you scroll up you'll find this one now:

Mine is a TI-83+ - my favorite calculator.

I must say that this is now the first TI-83 calculator that I've seen that looks like a neon kitty cat :hihi:

How about an on-topic post?

My avatar's a wombat. Wombats are cute, and an article I read in "Natural History" magazine claimed they are the most playful marsupials. They like to run at each other as fast as they can and knock each other over. The author described them at play as "frolicking fireplugs".

I have never met a wombat in person, so if one of our Australian members tell me they smell bad, I'll be sad. I might change my avatar to a quoll or binturong, then.

We have wombats down the back of our place. They're really interesting animals, but they've got no respect for fences, small trees, and other objects that you'd normally tend to think of as immovable. They make quite impressive burrows -- I'll photograph some next time I'm down near our creek and post them here.

Sadly, they have no road sense, and are nocturnal. They make a shocking mess of your car's bodywork -- twisted chassis are not uncommon -- if you hit one. :hihi: They also often don't survive the experience themselves. :xx: :D

Sadly, they have no road sense, and are nocturnal. They make a shocking mess of your car's bodywork -- twisted chassis are not uncommon -- if you hit one. :hihi: They also often don't survive the experience themselves. :xx: :D

We have a similar problem here with deer in some areas. There are a variety of whistles available to fasten to the cars bumper to scare them out of the road as you approach. They go by names like Deer Alarm and Deer Alert and work with various rates of success. Perhaps a similar approach would work there with the wombats.