Science Forums

Explain your avatars!

Tormod

My avatar was produced (rather accidently) by my JAVA application which explores the Mandelbrot Set, a mathematical structure of infinite complexity and beauty. The black "thingie" I call a "Mandelblot". It appears to be standing, and is surrounded by a blue aura. To me, it represents the quartering of the universe into active and passive principals. No, just kidding. :shrug: I just like the way it looks.

My avatar was produced (rather accidently) by my JAVA application which explores the Mandelbrot Set, a mathematical structure of infinite complexity and beauty. The black "thingie" I call a "Mandelblot". It appears to be standing, and is surrounded by a blue aura. To me, it represents the quartering of the universe into active and passive principals. No, just kidding. :shrug: I just like the way it looks.

And if you thought Pyrotex was just some dweeb, check out his Fractals!

I remember vividly clicking onto his program...

http://hypography.com/forums/physics-mathematics/5625-fractal-geometry-nature-2.html

scroll down a bit, check out his zip attach.. plus those of BigDog and crew. :eek2:

Great work once again P-tex. :)

blast from the recent past,

Rac

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

:Bump2:

It's been 2 years, we have many new members, and many more older members who have changed their avatars.

Mine is a representation of my user name.

Mercedes Benzene is a pun between my favorite aromatic hydrocarbon benzene (showing my love for chemistry), and my favorite deutscher Autohersteller, Mercedes-Benz.

The avatar itself is, if you will, a visual pun. It's a benzene ring structure with the Mercedes logo as the delocalized bond representation.

I tried a number of avatars when I first became a member here. but at some point we had a thread about the Mandelbrot Set. Here are a few images from the Mandelbrot space. As it happens, I had written a program in PERL to display the Mandelbrot space and explore it, and I had saved a few images, and it occurred to me to crop one of them and use it as an avatar.

It's been with me ever since.

Hmmm...maybe I should produce a bigger one.

My current one is a picture of me from a party around 1987. I always brought a 12 pack of Yoohoo with me. One of my buddies doctroed this piture up to make it look like an ad.

Bill

WOW!!! I had so much hair that some of it was out of place. I retrospect I think that stray lock was checking to see how far the fall was.

I made it.

I liked it.

I used it.

I was messing around on adobe photoshop and made some interesting graphics that can be viewed in the album I started right here on our very own hypography.

I have a pretty good nac for this sort of thing and I am willing to make custom avatars if anyone is interested. In fact, I could always use an idea for a graphic project, so if anyone wants some kind of a custom sig, av, or whatever, I'll be glad to give it a shot.

My current one is a picture of me from a party around 1987. I always brought a 12 pack of Yoohoo with me.

Did you always attend BYOY parties Mr. Party Man? :)

My avatar is depicting a glowing orb of gas that is very, very, very far away. It's a crop from a Nasa photo showing a far away galaxy.

New avatar coming soon...

(arkain, wanna help?)