Science Forums

Did Slavery Actually Create Superior Physicalities In Blacks??

Racoon

My .02 cents worth:

No. Slavery did not exist long enough to produce superior physical conditions in the African populations of the Americas to explain the apparent dominance of black athletes we seem to be seeing.

There has been almost as many generations passed since this occured which would negate a change of this context, without a firm basis in genetics to begin with. One only has to look at the domestic animal populations genetics and change impacts to understand that it only takes a few generations of non-selective breeding to negate the impact of hundreds of years of selective breeding.

We do not have much (if any) documentation of these selective pairings by those who owned slaves to be able to follow up with a study to show the true/false condition of this theory. Besides, I am not sure one could do this kind of a study for lack of funding and without being labeled a racist, or accused of some negative motivation behind exploring the true/false answers to a questions like this.

There cannot be much question that selective breeding played a part in creating some of the world's best athletes.

But what I find far more interesting is the part slavery played in spreading and disseminating technological knowledge. There are some 200 million expatriate Africans living all over the world today - almost all are the descendents of the 10 million slaves who were shipped out of Africa. Almost all are reasonably educated, and reasonably skilled at some form of technology or social service. Millions are also impoverished, live in ghettos and are under-employed

What I am driving at is that with the collapse of colonialism, nearly a billion Africans living on the mother continent have been left without a large enough base of educated intellectuals and skilled craftsmen to keep the their national industries and social services viable. At the same time, colonialism was instrumental in wooing them away from their traditional farming methods - even while their population kept expanding. Net result - mass starvation and a chronic shortage of school teachers and technological instructors. As it stands now Africa is on the verge of a major melt-down unless some huge global educational effort is put in motion that will help Her to get back on Her feet.

The logistic problem is that there is not enough money on the planet to put in a continental-wide educational infrastructure that would get all one billion Africans on par with the rest of the world. Just getting the teachers trained for starters would cost tens of trillions of dollars.

The 200 million descendents of slaves who live abroad represent Africa's greatest resource of already qualified teachers and instructors.

I realize most expatriate Africans, after ten generations abroad, see themselves as citizens of their own countries. But the call of ancestral blood is far stronger than political identities. Thousands of whites have gone on missions to Africa as teachers - but to an African child, there is no better physical role model than one of their own.

I think it would be a constructive global management policy to get some form of educational policy going in Africa by making use of this obviously valuable resource - and in the process brings some dignity and a sense of evolutionary purpose to the sorry history of slavery.

I am not sure if most African-Americans would agree with me on this. I have some Bantu blood in my ancestry. I feel the call.

Don't know what you'll achieve by that, MagnetMan. Keep in mind, all 'white' Americans are European expats as well! Asian Americans are, well, Asian expatriates!

The one big problem in Africa, as far as I can see it, is that the colonialists imported agriculture on an industrial scale. This allowed the local African population to grow at one hell of a rate in the last 150-odd years. And then, after the colonialists have packed up and gone home, the search for their own cultural identity made most African (black) farmers revert back to subsistence farming, the way they have farmed for the last how many thousands of years. Only problem is, of course, that subsistence farming simply can't support the new population levels! Hence poverty, hunger, famine, etc.

Africa doesn't need high-tech business or large companies or big investments or any such thing, Africa needs to be shown good, viable farming methods. And the Africans themselves should realise that they need it, and then implement it. All future successes can be built upon Africa's ability to feed itself.

There cannot be much question that selective breeding played a part in creating some of the world's best athletes.

I'd be very interested in seeing some scientific evidence to support this.

There are many non-Africans winning, say, Olympic medals (a Norwegian snatched the gold in the 800 meters at Atlanta).

Claims like yours need to be backed up - there CAN be questions about this. Who did the selective breeding, and was the purpose to create athletes?

]Only problem is, of course, that subsistence farming simply can't support the new population levels! Hence poverty, hunger, famine, etc.

Africa doesn't need high-tech business or large companies or big investments or any such thing, Africa needs to be shown good, viable farming methods. And the Africans themselves should realise that they need it, and then implement it. All future successes can be built upon Africa's ability to feed itself.

So what you are suggesting is that Africa should remain in a Bronze Age oral-based agricultural milieu for x amount of generations, albeit with better farming methods - while the rest of us move on into the future and eventually get enjoy space travel and take holidays on Mars? That fate might not be so bad if zero population controls were also enforced for the next few generations. Except we know what that has done and is doing to Chinese and Indian family values. They are using ultrasound to abort the girls. When family values go kaput, so does the culture. As an ex-pat African I am afraid I can't buy into your view. Human evolution is an on-going process and we are all in it together with yet a ways to go before we reach sagehood.

Europeans where in that same farm-based milieu 2000 years ago, when the Roman colonists arrived and got us to move on and go to school - traumatic as that was, that is the way evolution works and it is relevant to all cultures - including Africans. What we can do as brothers who have already been through that developmental school, is show them how to become craftsmen and scientists too, without poisoning their air and their water table.

Now I know you have an intellectual reputation to protect, but it takes a big boy to know when an old Oom is on the ball. If you are a farmer’s son then you know the rules. If you stand up during the 'ndaba to question the wisdom of an elder, (I am 65) make contradictory statements constructive and purposeful and respectful. I am not claiming to be infallible and good questions can always lead to new and more interesting solutions. But I spent half a life working on this problem (out in the field and not via a book) and I want to see some results. If we go about it the right way we can make this conversation enlightening to all and maybe come up with a better solution than either of us have proposed.

The problem in Africa is very serious, extremely urgent and heartbreakingly poignant - as the picture below clearly shows. How we as a culture respond to the emergency in Africa reflects the validity of the good Samaritan code of Christian neighborliness that our founder died on the cross for.

I am a grandparent with a daughter and grandson about the same Age as the two in the picture. The mere idea of watching them slowly die like that, together with forty million more, when it is completely unnecessary is unacceptable.

Maybe Racoon could rephrase the question so as to eliminate some of the emotional response.

Is it possible that owners of slaves, for purposes of increasing the efficiency and production of their slaves, intentionally selected for improved physical fitness, strength, and performance, and that this selection is having an impact on current athletic abilities?

Are there any verfiable differences based on ethnicity, and if so, can these differences be traced back to a unique source, such as the artificial selection imposed by slave owners?"

Maybe Racoon could rephrase the question so as to eliminate some of the emotional response.

Is it possible that owners of slaves, for purposes of increasing the efficiency and production of their slaves, intentionally selected for improved physical fitness, strength, and performance, and that this selection is having an impact on current athletic abilities?

Are there any verfiable differences based on ethnicity, and if so, can these differences be traced back to a unique source, such as the artificial selection imposed by slave owners?"

Threads usually get thrown off topic.

I think MagnetMan threw this into another light :phones:

I am sensitive to the problems.

There is scientific evidence of Physiology differences.

fiber types and such...

But there is also the Mental Factor as well.

Many of these high-class athletes do not get commended on. And are Attributed success via superior genetics...,

Not so easily Black and White,

Racoon

They're just like me, except they can run faster, and jump higher. :phones:

which is frustrating sometimes in playing Hoops. And I'm no slouch.

Blacks "can run faster, and jump higher" because blacks have much higher levels of testosterone. Testosterone is also the reason why blacks are also much more violent natured beings.

Here is a Google search of thousands of articles of this subject.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=blacks+and+testosterone&spell=1

Blacks "can run faster, and jump higher" because blacks have much higher levels of testosterone. Testosterone is also the reason why blacks are also much more violent natured beings.

Here is a Google search of thousands of articles of this subject.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=blacks+and+testosterone&spell=1

;) :singer: :phones::

The first page of results is all crackpots and forum posts by crackpots.

Your opinions are poison.

TFS

i have heard lots on this subject, and it would be foolish to deny that black colored humans are more physically able than most other races, i dont know if this is becuase of natural evolution or slavery.

i do know however that saying that black colored humans are more able isnt a racist statement...anyone who thinks so is a fool.

do know however that saying that black colored humans are more able isnt a racist statement...anyone who thinks so is a fool.

Don't know if you're talking to me or not, but you should read the freakin' google search. Number eight (I think it is.) is especially awful. Given J.B.'s other opinions on race, I've got no problem branding him as a bigot.

I have no opinion on whether African-Americans are "better" athletes because of genetics or because of opportunity, and I don't think it matters.

But that BS about "naturally violent." It's the KKK in science clothing. Bigots and hatemongers dressed up in daddy's respectable clothes. But underneath, it's still the same white sheet.

TFS

edit: to remove personal information