Science Forums

Did Slavery Actually Create Superior Physicalities In Blacks??

Racoon

This might be a Hot Button topic for some.

I'm ok with it.

I have a couple Black friends. Good friends, over in Portland where I hang out and play hoops, and stuff...

They're just like me, except they can run faster, and jump higher. :)

which is frustrating sometimes in playing Hoops. And I'm no slouch.

Heres the Hypothesis, and my Black friends agree with it:

Did slavery actually help the Black people in the Long-Run "Genetically" ???

by selectively Breeding Slaves with the most desirable Athletic traits for working the plantations??

Those with weaker traits did not reproduce and died.

The big Studs were used for making Better Slaves...??

While any white people could reproduce at will...(genetic quirks and all)

After a couple hundred of years later, and thank God for the end of Slavery as we knew it; Blacks now practically dominate most sports with a considerable less population base...

Is it because of selective breeding long ago? and does that work?

(Hitler tried the same thing, with Aryans, albeit for different reasons)

Was that early Social Genetic Engineering? without afterthought of consequences and ramifications?

the N word is not really appropriate in my vocabulary.:)

Look at the Olympics? panj- Its US African-Americans winning the medals in Track and Field. except the marathon.

Do you watch American Football or Basketball?? Mostly Blacks. They're the best athletes in the world. (and highest paid$$$)

This isn't about Africa. This is a suggestion concerning the After-effects of selective breeding as a result of Slavery over hundreds of years in the United States.

Africans, due to the ruggedness of Africa, have sprouted very fine physical-genetic abilities concerning athletic/work endevour. (evolution)

My current belief is Yes, Slavery did improve physicalities of African Americans over the course of legalized slavery, by slective breeding methods.

I'm talking genetics - and not sociology

There is no Rule when it comes to Generalizations. there will always be exceptions.

In europe all the best athletes are black. This is true even in France, where thier black population is almost entierly african. I would suggest that the high achievement of american blacks has as much to do with the very high ammounts of money spent on thier training, relative to other nations.

And I believe 'House nigger' is the correct term for a domestic slave in pre-emacipation america. it has nothing to do with the modern usage of the word.

How then would explain the superior physical abilities of african blacks? Or of blacks who are the decendants of _____ _______Do you realise that american blacks have approximately 50% european genes, from interbreeding and rape by whites?
I have edited this post because the use of that expletive is not permitted here at the forum. Please take note Panjandrum, derogatory referrences to one's racial background are not permitted...............Infy

This might be a Hot Button topic for some.

I'm ok with it.

I have a couple Black friends. Good friends, over in Portland where I hang out and play hoops, and stuff...

They're just like me, except they can run faster, and jump higher. :rain:

which is frustrating sometimes in playing Hoops. And I'm no slouch.

Heres the Hypothesis, and my Black friends agree with it:

Did slavery actually help the Black people in the Long-Run "Genetically" ???

by selectively Breeding Slaves with the most desirable Athletic traits for working the plantations??

Those with weaker traits did not reproduce and died.

The big Studs were used for making Better Slaves...??

While any white people could reproduce at will...(genetic quirks and all)

After a couple hundred of years later, and thank God for the end of Slavery as we knew it; Blacks now practically dominate most sports with a considerable less population base...

Is it because of selective breeding long ago? and does that work?

(Hitler tried the same thing, with Aryans, albeit for different reasons)

Was that early Social Genetic Engineering? without afterthought of consequences and ramifications?

Are you by chance of Greek descent? Is your grandfather named Jimmy? For you yungins, there was a sports commentator who used to pick games on one of the networks. He was a colorful guy with colorful habits and a colorful name. He was recorded at a party one night after having a few drinks basically agreeing with everything Racoon has stated here. He was promptly fired for his drunken private opinion. And to think, he was not entirly wrong. He was simply stating facts that people would prefer to be without.

There is no question that a few generations of selective breeding can emphisize traints. And one of the reasons that folks in Africa do so well to begin with is because they are to an extent in a culture that promotes physicality as a precursor to breeding. And with much of the region only a few generations from, or still in a hunter/gatherer society the need for physical endurance plays a bigger role in their day to day life. Those traits translate into a statistical edge is sports.

The other side of this is cultural. People in a culture with tradition will work harder to live up to expectations. This type of cultural pressure is very often subconcious and starts young. It is the power of self association and role models.

None of these things are absolutes. They are statistical by nature. You can find multiple individual examples that say differently. That is not the point. Modern blacks as a whole excel at athletics more than other races. This is not a bad thing. It is not racist to say so.

Bill

I have edited this post because the use of that expletive is not permitted here at the forum. Please take note Panjandrum, derogatory referrences to one's racial background are not permitted...............Infy

WTF? I was using the word in its correct nineteenth century meaning! I'm glad it offends you. I think revolting ideas should have disgusting names, and I think that people like you who try to make these words taboo are doing a great diservice to the people who lived and died as________under slavery.

WTF? I was using the word in its correct nineteenth century meaning! I'm glad it offends you. I think revolting ideas should have disgusting names, and I think that people like you who try to make these words taboo are doing a great diservice to the people who lived and died as________under slavery.
This is not the nineteenth century and there are some that find this word, however it is used, to be very offensive...........Infy

Oh, I see. Racoon posts a thread that is so ****ing ridiculous that I almost chocked to death on my own flegm when I read it, but I'M the one who is insensitive? You need to get your ****ing priorities straight.

whats so ridiculous?

I'm not black so I DON'T use the N word. :note: :cup:

I brought this up because my Black friends and I were discussing this.

They are more concerned with the Socio-Economic ramifications from Slavery.:sun:

But they are Braggard when it comes to Physical Superiority in Most sports as a result of slavery...

There is definitely a Mental component as well when/if You become a Pro-Athlete. But Speed ALWAYS kills in Sport. You Don't make NFL, NBA, or MLB without at least a good set of Physicality genes. Same with Olympics, and others...

You say "No" panj. thats fine. I was looking for well-founded statements the contrary. :boy: Please state a logical platform without the use of Ethnicly Offensive speech

Read up a theory about this phenomenon a few years ago. The guy proposed that the whole slave-ship from West Africa scene was a very efficient evolutionary filter. The trip across the Atlantic was quite a few weeks' worth of sailing, and only the strongest and healthiest slaves made it. The physically weakest died en route. And now we sit with the African American population dominating American sports!

Makes sense to me!

How then would explain the superior physical abilities of african blacks? Or of blacks who are the decendants of _____ _______Do you realise that american blacks have approximately 50% european genes, from interbreeding and rape by whites?

Interesting that this thread offends you. Can you explain the root of the offense? Is it because of the at most 89 years, as least 74 years of slavery in portions of the of the US? Do you think that this timespan was too short to create enhanced taints through selective breeding?

As for the dilution it is a factor in reducing the statistical advantage but does not change the fact that superiority through selective breeding occurred and is still evident.

Bill

Originally Posted by Racoon

Did slavery actually help the Black people in the Long-Run "Genetically"

I haven't talked to my African American friends about slavery contributing to positive evolutional or genetic traits, but we have discussed certain studies that have shown the following:

. Approximately 60% of an individual's aerobic fitness level is genetically determined. African Americans tend to be more aerobically fit starting in early childhood then other races.

. African Americans have narrower hips which gives them a more efficient stride. They have a shorter sitting height which provides a higher center of gravity and a better balance. They have wider shoulders, less body fat, and more muscle. Their muscles include more fast twitch muscles which produce power.

. African Amerians have from 3 to 19% more of the sex hormone testosterone than Whites or East Asians. The testosterone translates into more explosive energy.

. X-rays show bones grow faster in Black children than in White children.

. Brain wave patterns develop faster in Black than in White newborns.

. Studies find that Blacks are more aggressive and outgoing than Whites. (the Eysenck studies)

. Black babies are born a week earlier than White babies, yet they are more mature as measured by bone development.

. African Americans have faster dental development than Whites.

. Better coordination: Black children sit, crawl, walk, and put on their own clothes earlier than Whites or Orientals. (The findings are measured by such tests as Bayley's Scales of Mental and Motor Development and the Cambridge Neonatal Scales.)

All things listed point to great genetics for great athletes!