Science Forums

Favorite Sci Fi Movies

Arbor

Like Arissa I tend to love time travel, space, and alien contact. I know Prometheus was somewhat controversial to "Alien" fans but I thought it was absolutely exciting landing on an alien moon. The other one for me is Event Horizon. It's a sci/fi/space/horror movie. A rescue ship goes to rescue a secret military experiment craft that can fold space.

I like these movies because even though they are make believe there may be some truth to them in the future.. Many many years from now it will probably be a privately funded craft as in Prometheus or a military craft (probably secret) that will be the ones who make an extended reach out into our universe. 

One last thing, A I fans you must watch Bicentennial man with Robin Williams. Although it's not about space as I like, it is about transcending many generations and helps to show us how finite our lives are. 

Watch Terminator Genisys. It's awesome. Don't listen to the critics, they obviously weren't paid off because the film's good enough to stand on its own. It's easily the best terminator film since the truly epic T2. They're doing at least two more films and a series as well. I love the Sarah Conner Chronicles and was really annoyed when it ended. The actors that played Cameron, Derek Reese and Cromartie/John Henry were awesome in that. That series got a bit slow in the middle third but the the other two thirds were really good, especially the last few episodes but the new series isn't going to have anything to do with that. The new film went back to the beginning and created an alternate time line, they did a Star Trek/Mortal Kombat.

I heard a few things before I saw it, like jumps around all over the place in time, it follows on from T2 and it's really confusing. None of those things are true. It follows Kyle Reese who time travels twice. It starts in the future just before Reese goes back to the 80s (why is it always night time in the future?). You see the bit that he talked about in the first film where the resistance had almost won and skynet sends the T800 (Arnie) back first and Kyle follows, but this time a terminator played by Matt Smith attacks John Conner as Reese is in the time bubble. You know from the line "You didn't think it would be that easy did you?" that it's not an ordinary terminator. He was there with the resistance soldiers the whole time but didn't interfere so he obviously wanted Reese to go back for some reason that will hopefully be explained in the next film.

Reese then gets flashes of memory from an alternate time line where judgement day didn't happen that include seeing himself as a child looking in mirror and saying "Genisys is skynet, it comes online October 2017". This is the only part of the story I didn't like, why would he remember a timeline that he didn't live. They attempt to explain it as a "nexus point" in the time bubble because he had just witnessed something that didn't happen the first time round, lame. You then find out that time has been altered because a Terminator (Arnie again) was sent back to the 70s to protect Sarah from a T1000 that was sent to kill her as a child and raised her after her parents were killed. They made their own time machine and planned on jumping forward to 1997 (the original judgement day date) but Reese convinces them to go to 2017 because time has been altered.

I won't say what happens after that because I don't want to ruin it. There's no shortage of terminators in this film. You see the Arnie one as young, middle aged and old. The young one is the original one that was sent back to kill Sarah, the middle aged one is the one that raised her and the older one is the same terminator who goes the long way round to 2017 because he's damaged so he can't jump to 2017 with them. There's also a T1000 (who has some tricks that the one in T2 didn't but this one really doesn't like getting shot for some reason) as well and a brand new model, plus Matt Smith. No TX though, maybe in the next one. The terminator fights are excellent, especially with one of the really cool tricks the new model does in the fight towards the end.

• 2 months later...

Here are a couple of good Sci-Fi flicks I have seen recently...

Code 46 - a sort of Orwellian future. Has hints of Gattica in it, with DNA sequencing being a determinant factor in how you live and reproduce,.  Older, like produced in 2003-4-ish.. w/ Tim Robbins.. Its also a love story. 

Europa Report.. If you like Sci-Fi exploration, this is pretty good using alot of real science. Most Sci-Fi fans will like it if they havem't already seen it.

Edited by Racoon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Rac, the first 2 or 3 books are very good, then I stopped half way through it (I think it was the third)

Thanks Sanctus.. There happens to be one Sci-Fi books stores still left in the Portland Metro area...  I want a nice copy of "Dune"...

My mom said she read it in High-school. Was one of those unforgettables.

Personaly when I pay for books I like Classics from Steinbeck and Dickens..., but I always enjoy a good sci-fi thrill..

Sold!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/alien/feature/a670539/alien-covenant-everything-you-need-to-know-about-prometheus-2-including-release-date-cast-and-spoilers/

The follow up to the movie Prometheus titled Alien; Covenant has just released it's first trailer. Although some of my Sci-fi junkie friends gave Prometheus mixed reviews, I thought the movie was great. I'm not so much into the horror aspect of the series as I am in the possibility that some time in the far future, humans may actually achieve the ability to explore other planets.

From this trailer it looks like the movie may be heavy on the horror side, but I've been told it also follows the two survivors from Prometheus to the home planet of the aliens. Either way I can't wait.

• 4 months later...

I can't wait for this, I know a lot of people didn't care for it, but I thought it was great. I'd like to think someday humans will have the means to do an alien planet expedition like that.

A few things that bothered me about the movie though. If I were to spend a trillion dollars to fund a trip like this, I would make damn sure the participants new exactly what they were getting into before we left, not 2yrs and a short hologram show after they've arrived. If I was going to take a job that would require me to be asleep at least two years and away from my family that long, I would also like to know what I was getting myself into. But that's just me.

Another issue is the decapitated gent was dated to be 2500yrs old or so. Then we are led to believe the surviving chap in the chamber has been :lazy:  sleeping all that time or did I miss something? 

Lastly, I didn't see a lot of provisions such as food, water, and some other comforts of life aboard the alien craft.  Miss Shaw will sleep most of the way, OK, but still?

Despite those issues and a few smaller ones, I thought it was a great movie and had a similar amount of flaws as any other Sci-fi movie in my opinion. I thought the look of the ship was great. The entire layout, the bridge, and the cargo area's was well thought out and may be somewhat realistic one day. I hope :yes:

The link below is a short trailer for it.

http://www.space.com/36689-new-alien-covenant-prologue-trailer.html

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Good necro.

Sunshine is good. It's got about as much accurate science as, and plot roughly the same as, The Core...but it's a good fiction romp with slightly better acting.

Trancendence is just downright awesome. Just enough wiggle room to make you wonder if the man who dreamed of becoming a machine succeeded, or of the Machine dreamed of becoming a man succeeded.

• 3 months later...