Science Forums

How did you get here?

Dark Mind

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmm,,,,ahem,,,,when a daddy loves a mommy that means that they wanted to have a baby bird like me,,,,sooo,,,,the Daddy buzzes around the ,,,,no wait,,,,,,ummmmm,,,ok,,,,,let's try this,,,,when the 'student' is ready,,,she will google the answer((WHICH SOMETIMES CONSISTS OF more QUESTIONS))

,,,,no wait,,,,

it was fate,,,,

good nite all and HAPPY NEW YEAR

• 2 weeks later...

I got here googling for Neal Adams’ Earth expansion hypotheses after an attempt at engaging in conversation with the man after a pertinent Youtube video was presented at the Celestia forums and I read through his site.

Basically, I wanted to see his track record in discussing his mind construct so I knew what I was up against. Long story short, I dropped the issue to spare me some wasted time and after reading other threads I decided this here forum was a good venue for my interests :shrug:

• 1 month later...

I live next door to Kansas and a few years back the controversy with the Kansas School Board and the movement promoting the teaching of Intelligent Design was a hot topic. I had done a Google search on ID and there was a Hypography thread listed discussing Evolution vs. Creationism. It had around 200 replies or so and I sat there and read the whole thing and was amazed at the level of the discussion.

Some of the participants in that discussion included Tormod, C1ay, Freethinker, Fishteacher73, Biochemist, and lindagarrett if I recall. I really enjoyed Freethinker's realism. :shade:

Being that I didn't really feel that I had many intellectual friends to discuss and debate with, I found myself compelled to register and get involved. I had never blogged before and have never joined any other sites since.

After making just a few posts, I stepped away for a year and a half or so before coming back in January of 2007, posting more regularly since then.

I'm glad I did. :QuestionM

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Like numerous others (it seems), I was Googling —checking whether the Japanese medical author I was translating hadn't done a katakana typo and that the the drug vicomycin (as distinct from vancomycin) really existed (actually, Google didn't seem to sure, because it asked me if I had meant "vancomycin").

satsumajin

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I got here from a heated conversation on another forum about lottery probabilities of consecutive numbers. There, my opponent linked here for support. Then, I came here to duke out the argument: My premise was that there must be a lesser probability of drawing 6 consec numbers than of drawing 6 non-consec numbers from a pool of a hundred.

Well I encountered CraigD and pgrmdave, and they anihilated my argument. They blinded me with science. Shorly after, Modest explained the relativistic motion.

I decided that it is well worth my time to stick around considering the intelligence of people here.

Thank you Tormod.

I got here because a friend begged me to join him here. He stopped participating shortly after I joined. Right now, this is kind of my life, so I'm really grateful to that friend and to Tormod for creating this place.

Lawcat, I usually avoid math since I can't understand it, but the result of your argument seems so counter-intuitive that I have to ask if you can explain it. I have to warn you: I'm really dumb.

Again, thanks for this site. I'm very happy to be here.

--lemit

Lawcat, I usually avoid math since I can't understand it, but the result of your argument seems so counter-intuitive that I have to ask if you can explain it. I have to warn you: I'm really dumb.

Again, thanks for this site. I'm very happy to be here.

--lemit

Lemit, you can go here and examine it. http://hypography.com/forums/physics-and-mathematics/4386-lottery-probability.html

My basic premise was that: since the number of consecutive sequences (1,2,3,4,5,6; 2,3,4,5,6,7; ,3,4,5,6,7,8, etc) is much smaller than the humber of possible non-consecutive sequences, then the probability is less.

I found this site by Google for sure.

I just don't quite remember what I was Googlin'... ;)

Was it Special Relativity, umm no...

Was it Quaternions or Octonions ? Maybe...

Was it Fractals ? Possibly

Was it Lie Groups ? I am not sure

Was it Black Holes ? Could be...

I remember seeing both scienceforums.com link as well. I thought it was a different site.

I have enjoyed the conversations on diverse topics. I am quite an eclectic mix of interests.

So I have stuck around to join in the fun... :shrug:

maddog