Science Forums

How did you get here?

Dark Mind

• 1 month later...
Gotta love google.

Oh, they were deep in my heart when they banned us in April 2005 for having more than one domain...we were both Hypography.com and Scienceforums.com and I have never heard a word about "duplicate content". We vanished from Google overnight on April 4. We have actually never recovered the traffic we had before then, although we did manage to get back into Google after about 30 days.

But yeah, these days we're doing very well in Google and also get a lot of traffic from Ask, MSN, Yahoo etc...we would be nowhere without the search engines. :)

Do you know what the reasoning behind that was Tormod?

I just looked at some of googles' policies but couldn't find anything.:embarass:

Yes, like I said: Duplicate content. When multiple domains contain the exact same content, Google will penalize you. Since you could access our forums using either of several domains, it appeared we had multiple sites using the same content. It was fixed by making all the other domains simply forward to the hypography.com domain.

http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769&query=duplicate%20content&topic=&type=

Don't create multiple pages, subdomains, or domains with substantially duplicate content.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...