Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

Because it woudn't have worked. The difference is that an object originating from the the Moon must have a delta v applied to it in order to match that incoming trajectory of an object coming from Venus. The Moon object is not going to assume the trajectory of the incoming Venus object unless we force it to.

Janus,

I have modeled the entire solar system and all equations of orbital mechanics to four decimal places in my head, and then executed the models with several dozen sets of initial parameters. After 20 seconds of intense skull sweat, I have concluded that you are absolutely correct. I bow before the superior intellect. :thumbs_up

Some real quick questions for later, Where exactly are the Airlocks located on the rings, Inside the Rings, on the side of the Rings, or on the edge of the Rings? I would imagine either inside or side. Seeing as the edge is our floor...

We are in (slight) tumble drift, right?

How does one walk the rings? Is the outside Magnetic, or are there ladders? What's the outside topography like?

The Clown needs to know. Also any suggestions for a good difficulty for one to encounter, other than the obvious stuff?

Some real quick questions for later, Where exactly are the Airlocks located on the rings, Inside the Rings, on the side of the Rings, or on the edge of the Rings? I would imagine either inside or side. Seeing as the edge is our floor......

Assuming the ship was designed by practical NASA-style propellor-heads, the normal airlocks would be on the top deck of each module. When you exit, you can "stand" on top of the module by the same artificial-grav as you use when inside. You can walk all over the "roofs" of the modules, just don't step off or you go sailing away on a tangent that takes you away from the ship's axis.

Special airlocks exist on the bottom decks of the machine shop modules, where the MUSEs can navigate around with the modules "above" them, and hanging from the modules.

If you (KAC) are walking around on the top of a module, there will be connecting ports from your module to the corresponding module in the next ring. Actually one to either side if you are on ring 2 or 3. If you are CAREFUL, you can step off the edge so you are standing on the connection. There should be a flat walking shelf built on top, with a single railing. Walk across to the next ring and up the 3-rung ladder and --voila!-- you are on top of the neighboring ring. Don't FALL OFF or we may not be able to retrieve you.

You are gonna get bloody ill crawling around on the outside of the ship.

I would assume that the rings spin all at the same speed, so that there are two was between any two rings.

A) Take a little airlock between two actual rings.

:eek_big: Crawl down the spokes, go down the hub, then back up the spokes. (You'll tie a bowline!)

As for crawling around on the outside of the ship, you best hope it's magnetic. The sky is going to be spinning around at about 3 RPM (which is FAST) and you'll be being pulled away from the ship at .6G or whatever we're rotating at.

Theoretically, if you could get out of the ship without it's imparting it's angular momentum to you, you could "drift" along side of it without being flung into space at 5.88 m/s. But then you've got to "catch" an airlock.

Best of luck. You're gonna need it.

Pyro and I posted at the same time: If you are "inside" the wheel then you have "fake-gravity" pushing you out. If you are on the "outside" of the ring, you're hanging by your arms. (I'd opt for the former.) I still think you're going to get a sever case of vertigo though.

TFS

...If you are "inside" the wheel then you have "fake-gravity" pushing you out. If you are on the "outside" of the ring, you're hanging by your arms. (I'd opt for the former.) I still think you're going to get a sever case of vertigo though.

Not at all. :eek_big: Let's concoct a "thought experiment". You are in your space suit and your eyes are closed. How could you tell the difference between being on the outside the ship (standing on the "roof" of a module) -- AND -- standing on deck 3 inside the module????

Answer: you probably can't. It will feel exactly the same. Except that standing on the roof you will experience a tiny decrease in artificial-grav.

Now, if you open your eyes, you will see the stars whirling around. But there's no whooshing wind, no NEARBY landmarks that moving past, so as long as you focus on the ship itself, there is no reason why you would feel ill.

PS: 3 RPM?? That seems awfully fast to me. Don't you mean 3 seconds per revolution?

I get a tangential velocity of 24m/s at edge of the ring to have .6G.

On a 100m ring that translates into an angular velocity of .24 rad/s. Or 2.29 or so RPM.

Or at least, that's what I got. It's not fast enough to induce motion sickness just by moving your head (you have to get up to about 5 RPM for that) but I wouldn't look at the sky.

...On a 100m ring....

We have an ongoing confusion in this thread.

We initially agreed that the ring was 100m IN RADIUS, or 200m width.

However, there seems to be a growing tendency to speak of our ring as being 100m wide. I vote that we keep the initial design, making for a larger ship.

So, your calculations... which did you assume?

Radius is 100M to the outer most(bottom) floor. The 3rpm speed is from Janus on post 102 of the Space Voyage thread...

Has anyone calculated the rotation speed of this thing yet to maintain 1G at a 100 meter radius?

3 rpm. The speed at the rim will be about 31.3 m/sec

While we are at it, the sections are 10 meters high outside, so we have room inside for 3 decks in each section. What will the gravity on each deck be if the outer deck is at 1G? The floor of the outer deck is 100 meters from the axis.

Bill

The other two decks will be at 0.97g and 0.94g

Which by now someone has got to have noticed that the Clown get's motion sickness... really bad when I have pancakes, but I can generally handle rotation. It's vibration and sudden departure from a given linear path that give me virtigo.

Luckily I took some dramamine before all this.

Anyway, I figure I would take the Machine-shop Exit, I am going for one of the Vehicals secured to the bottom of the Rings.