Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

I certainly did look at the Space Activity Suit, however the issue with that one is that it's harder to obtain a zero-Prebreath, which for me is important. If my room suddenly springs a leak or is showing higher than safe levels of raditation, I want to be able to spring into and zip up in no prep-time (with exception of donning the outfit).

Further my suit is ment for somewhat Hazardous Enviroments. (HEV mark VII Medium Opertations) I do alot of things, I can do flight sims, I can perform Maintainence, and in an emergency, like now for instance, I would like to be able to assist in whatever way possible. Therefore I opt for a heavier suit for added protection and increased carrying capacity...

I like that helium suggestion also. I have to admit that I am not the sharpest Atmospheric engineer. I was concidering just having a Fluid Life Support System, but that would increase the mass of my suit to higher than acceptable tolerances.

That's the Basis. I have some pretty heavy customizations to my own suit, as it is approaching Extreamely Light Powered Armor. I compensate for the Mass concearns with the Semi-Powered Exoskeleton to assist in operation, it would certainly suck if I got hit by something massive/fast enough to throw my P-Magnet joints out of Alignment (Imagine trying to ply apart 1:50 pound ratio Neodymium magnets apart... Lets just say it would a hell of a jam. luckily the Skeleton gives it some strength against such occurances. Still.) The main concearn is the fact that I have only between 45-90 minutes of breath time. I would figure to be at the 75 minutes range, as I have to exert a little more than your average 'naut.

The helium idea only works in high pressure situations as far as I know. They use helium when they have to increase the pressure due to being so deep under sea. I doubt it works in reverse, that is to say in low pressure situations. Again, that would also mean changing the entire atmospheric pressure of the ship.

Now if you were able to reduce the atmo press of the ship then I think youd have to swap out the air with oxy and as stated above that is a fire hazard, unless someone knows of a way around this. Perhaps there is a lower pressure at which air is still good (any mountaineers around here?). I would recommend running at this lower pressure.

To increase time on your suit, maybe throw in some co2 scrubbers since this sounds like it is going to be a decently sized suit?

I am pretty much exactly 6'0". The suit would increase my height to about 6'8". I think. Perhaps less. Though yes it is a decently sized suit. It has some nice features. I had not thought about CO2 scrubs, however the concearn at this point is that the Suit already is about the same mass as I am.

Yes, Janus, like that. BTW, I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you I hate you !

There! Now tell me again what app you are using to produce those drawings so freakin fast? Pleeeeezzzzz?

:hihi:

Everybody understand why most authors work alone now? :confused:

See, damnit - now I'm hallucinating. I thought KAC's mysterious stranger was headed toward the Wrangler Bay.

Oh well. The fun of having other people ascibe actions to you.

My next post goes like this:

As BigDog stepped out of the airlock without his spacesuit he wished fervently he hadn't accused TFS of hallucinating.

:phones:

TFS

Everybody understand why most authors work alone now? :(

See, damnit - now I'm hallucinating. I thought KAC's mysterious stranger was headed toward the Wrangler Bay.

Oh well. The fun of having other people ascibe actions to you.

My next post goes like this:

:)

TFS

LOL!!! Didn't an entire season of Dallas happen like that? I'll admit that making you hallucinate was underhanded. But it was fun.... for me. :hihi:

From KAC's post I was certain that he still had a bead on the EVA badguy with the knife. Kayra is getting to the Wrangler from the inside of the ship. I thought you were describing a second badguy on the inside of the ship.

Anyway... I was putting Kayra in motion to assist KAC on the outside of the ship. It someone gets flug by the spinning a ready Wrangler is their only hope of getting back.

So, at this time we have the following developments in the story....

• There is an AI taking control of the ship's computer that uses the buggers as sensory inputs. It is attempting to communicate with us and our answeres hold our fate in the balance.
  • RonThePon is convinced that he has committed some act that is responsible for, I am guessing, the engine malfunction, but he is still to reveal what it is he did. He is suffereing (at a minimum) from a head wound he got during the engine malfunction.
  • TFS has created through happenstance the AI program, but is currently suffering from radiation poisoning from the engine malfunction.
  • Pyro, while dressed exquisitly, is attempting to communicate with the AI program and save the ship.
  • KickAssClown went EVA directly after the engine malfunction in an attempt to get to the injured RTP. Once outside the ship he has engaged in combat with a mystery man who is weilding a deadly blade. It appears that KAC is still attahced to the ship, but the location of the mystery man is unknown (except to KAC?).
  • There was an engine malfunction that caused power failures in the ship from an emp blast, and irradiated part of hab ring 1. As a result of this engines have stopped, and the ship is drifting without enough speed to intercept Jupiter.
  • There is hydrolic fluid leaking out of our ship from apparent damage to the shock absorber system.
  • The Mystery Man with the knife was first spotted by Pyrotex exiting a maintenance door from the engine area. His ID is unknown, and he may have something to do with the engine failure.
  • Boerseun and TBD have been swarmed by buggers and had the **** scared out of them. Boerseun destroyed several of them with a large cleaver.
  • The buggers appear to have used their small cutting devices to create a trap of sorts in a floor panel in an engineering room. This is what hurt RTP.
  • Jay-Qu is pissed because his preliminary use of God's Eyes was ruined by the engine stoppage.
  • TBD is sure that the computers are safe and the ship is in no danger from the AI program. He is waiting for RTP to finish telling his story and waiting for a moment to huddle with Pyro and Janus.
  • After shipwide power failures most systems have been restored. Through the ship personel are evaluating for damamge and following emergency procedures.
  • Janus is currently in command of the ship and is calm, cool and collected.

All of this has happened in the 30-40 minutes following the engine shutdown.

Bill