Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

So, who should the badguy be??? I have a list of possibilities...

cwes99_03 - He has taken to chatting with us. This could add him as a part of the "cast".

InfiniteNow - One of the original crew members, but he has not been following the story!!! Badguy status may be at hand. :)

Racoon - He went on a rampage when he found out that our hydrolic fluid contained "Tiger Oil".

A Stow away - someone who has been hiding on the ship until we left for deep space who is on some sort suicide mission to destroy us. Possibly Smith or Wesson? Or another accomplice?

Some redshirt - the copout way is to take an anonymous crew member and turn them evil.

Which way should we go? (Of course the first one to write the answer into the story wins :))

Bill

Right now we basically have a shared setting were we do a kind of collaborative fiction. I was wondering if perhaps we should introduce some larger plot elements that make the canvas seem a little more vast. Otherwise it seems kinda... soap operay? Like it's a string of largely unrelated events in a common setting.

You know, like we get a call from earth saying we need to intercept an asteroid or something. (NOT THAT. NOT THAT. Just an idea)

TFS

That is good, TFS.

This is getting kinda bad for bookish reading (unless we put the story as PART1, PART2, PART3 until PART981620)

We'd betted have a sure shot result, basic process and basic story outline now.

In othyer words, lets PLAN (or lets just see the big plan)

We are by my estimation about an hour past the initial engine failure. We have captured the badguy and need to stablize what is happening with the AI. RTP's plot can linger as he suggests it is a seed still to grow. :eek:

What I kinda envision next is a damage assesment and the crew's engergy pouring into making the engine work again. If it doesn't we are screwed as he did not get the velocity we need to intercept Jupiter and are drifting at high speed into deep space. We actually lack the ability to evade anything at this point to, although the chances of a collision are slim.

I am REALLY thrilled with the input from everyone! This is great fun. I think the AI and how we learn about it, and how it learns about itself and us will continue for the long haul. Ron can continue to nurture his seeds even as he participates in more visible ways with the rest of the crew. Kayra can heal up from his near mortal wounds. Pyro can expand his wardrobe for yet unforseen circomstances. KAC can continue to race into harms way as a true man of action. Whatever you may be planning, be patient. It will be a long journey.

I plan on posting tonight and if nobody has done so already I will give an identity to our badguy, as well as initial report on what happened to the engine.

The only thing more fun than writing this is reading what everyone else has written. Keep up the great work everyone!

Bill

The "story police" may lose in court twice though!

I was leaning toward Racoon having a small brain tumor that was causing him to act psychotic. JQ had suggested to me that Racoon was being blackmailed. Then we would need to choose between operating on him on the ship with maybe less than ideal tools and such, or returning to earth to get him proper treatement. If it is blackmail then we have a whole earthside subplot to develop to deal with the people pulling Rac's strings. The third option that comes to my mind is that Rac is really evil, and trying to do all the things that he claims. If he COULD blow up the ship, why didn't he already?

Here is my proposal for what happened... I say he went psychotic, got himself out to the maintenace area, swiped the obsidian blade from a maintenance locker, and randomly started cutting things. When he cut the low pressure/low temp lines he was swamped with hydrolic fluid that prevented him from doing more damage. He struggled in the maint area for a minute or so because of the hydrolic fluid filling the space as a slippery mist. then he went out the maint door where he was spotted by KAC and Pyro. He proceeded to tangle with KAC and managed to get away into the cargo bay with the Wranglers. He was trying to get into a Wrangler and appeared on the monitors very much like a maintenece worker doing a preflight check - only TFS recognized him as acting peculiar. Rac didn't spot Kayra until he was past him and he attacked Kayra from behind. Kayra managed to escape into the Wrangler. Then KAC got to the bay and trapped Rac in another Wrangler where we eventually cornered him. Now the psychotic Rac is cornered, scared, confused and desperate.

As for the bomb threat... if Rac got to the fuel pellets they are pretty much useless for you unless you can get the steel shell off of the plutonium and make it a 1 gram dirty bomb. The plutonium is encased and sealed in very high weight steel that acts both as sheilding and mass for each explosion. They are not easily made into a bomb - except as they pass through the engine for which they are designed. And a gyger counter will easily indicate their presence.

Any other ideas?

Bill

The "story police" may lose in court twice though!

I was leaning toward Racoon having a small brain tumor that was causing him to act psychotic. JQ had suggested to me that Racoon was being blackmailed. Then we would need to choose between operating on him on the ship with maybe less than ideal tools and such, or returning to earth to get him proper treatement. If it is blackmail then we have a whole earthside subplot to develop to deal with the people pulling Rac's strings. The third option that comes to my mind is that Rac is really evil, and trying to do all the things that he claims.

Bill

Fourth option: Racoon's odd behavior is tied into the Nano-bots. Either this was their intended effect, or Racoon is having an unusual bad reaction to them that is screwing up his brain chemistry.