Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

LOL!!! ... at this time we have the following developments in the story...All of this has happened in the 30-40 minutes following the engine shutdown.

Excellent synopsis. Finally! A starship captain who can READ!

First person to come up with a clever and elegant thing to say to the emerging AI that will save it, our ship, and make it our friend, wins a prize.

Dear /usr/bin/mcp:

Do you like me? I like you.

Check one:

____ Yes ____ No

TFS

No?

LOL!!! Didn't an entire season of Dallas happen like that? I'll admit that making you hallucinate was underhanded. But it was fun.... for me.

That's fine. I didn't realize I'd messed up the location of MM. But I had. So I am now a wreck. As I should be, since I got dosed.

TFS

So, at this time we have the following developments in the story....

• Desiree laTush, gorgeous and pneumatic assistant medical technician in SickBay, has a compulsive crush on "astronauts" and as an expression of her sincere adoration, has engaged in "intimate" activities with about 10% of the male crew on Prophecy, including yours truly. However, she is carrying an artificial STD, a nanobot-viroid with a built-in computer and command string. We still do not know what this nanobot will do or when (how?) the internal command is triggered.

LOL!!! Didn't an entire season of Dallas happen like that? I'll admit that making you hallucinate was underhanded. But it was fun.... for me. :eek2:

Bill

Not only a season of Dallas (or was it Dynasty?), but one of Bob Newhart's series was revealed to be entirely a dream.

Oh but that gives me an evil idea:

" Janus walks into the Command center ready to take over the morning shift. A quick check shows that all is well and the ship is holding course to Jupiter. As he relieves Pyrotex of the con he says, " You know, I just had the strangest dream!"

" Janus walks into the Command center ready to take over the morning shift. A quick check shows that all is well and the ship is holding course to Jupiter. As he relieves Pyrotex of the con he says, " You know, I just had the strangest dream!"

:shrug:

Taking that one step further:

"Daddy Daddy wake up" It was sunday and BigDog had promised he would take his kids skating today, if he was lucky there would be time to check hypography and tell them about this amazing idea he had just got from his dream!

TFS Had been correct. The location of the Wrangler Bay, and all that is not to clear. It was one of the bigger oversites on the designs.

Some questions to answer for future use:

How many Vehicals do we have?

Where are they located?

How do you board them?

What security, if any, do they have?

Where are all of the airlocks?

How many are there, what decks are they on?

I would like a synopisis of this if possible.

As for MM, I introduced a character in one of my earlier posts, regarding him. My plot for him was like this: Stowaway, as part of the Project Prophet to Martyr.

My original reasons for going EVA were two fold, One to collect a vehical (Mel, I believe they are. Apparently located on the "bottom" of the rings" and get up to Ring 4, assist Mr. RTP. Two to assess the origin of an anamolous signal originating from Outside the ship, as recorded by the Ship's logs, in the minutes preceeding the EMP.

That MM appeared, has given me a third reason to be EVA, cause if I had not gone that way, then he would have simply stolen a wrangler, and there would have been zero complications.

Obviously, the plot I was getting towards was MM sabotaged the Prophecies' Engine controls, and caused for a near Catastrophic accident, of the Chernobyl type. Plot Hook: Who corrected said tampering, who kept a Plutionium Fission Machine gun from turning us into a fancy firework? Or what corrected said tampering? I wouldn't be surprised if the Overlord had done it. what would prevent the Overlord from reactivating the safety protocols?

I had also though of going the route of "and then the clown woke from another strange dream." but it is not good fiction often enough, and in this case I don't think it would make good fiction. So far everything we have on our plate is handlable. We can fix most everything, the issue will become how to get back on course, and all that.

Hey Pyro. Where are those orderlies that you dispatched a while back?

Nice maneuvering Clown!

I think you're right on in your assessment that Overlord prevented the tampering - and I also think it's holding off the MCP at 85% processor load.

Who did send the anomalous signal?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the EMP broke down the software firewall the separated our advanced expert system from the rest of the prophesy mainframe. We had already given it rudimentary syntactical and language skills - but unfettered access to the several petabytes of data onboard the Prophesy gave it something to talk about.

I like that you've trapped MM in a Wrangler. Sweet.

TFS

Nice maneuvering Clown!

I like that you've trapped MM in a Wrangler. Sweet.

TFS

Yep yep.

Did Janus create an image for the wrangler? I forget.

If not, we need to list capabilities of the craft. the form should come from that.

Purposes:

• extended EVA capabilities. (12 Hours?)
  • rescue operations
  • repair operations
  • shuttle or fairy operations (space only)
  • Docking assist operations

Rescue operations requires room for medical crew on board, and VERY fast retrieval system. (fired net, sticky rope? Any Ideas?)

Repair operations requires tool arms, variety of tools (cutter, welder, bolter, glue spray, etc.) what else?

Shuttle .. room.

Could the basic wrangler be capable of all these, or should the wrangler be able to attach to pods with these capabilities?

Launch is easy... Just roll off the ring.. What is the best method of landing? On the "Top" of the rings?

I had also though of going the route of "and then the clown woke from another strange dream." but it is not good fiction often enough, and in this case I don't think it would make good fiction. So far everything we have on our plate is handlable. We can fix most everything, the issue will become how to get back on course, and all that.

Mayhaps you end it with one of the crew waking from the dream, but being woken by klaxons ringing on his ship with the same events happening that he had just dreamed about. :):hihi:

If I had to guess, I'd say that the EMP broke down the software firewall the separated our advanced expert system from the rest of the prophesy mainframe. We had already given it rudimentary syntactical and language skills - but unfettered access to the several petabytes of data onboard the Prophesy gave it something to talk about.

TFS

How about shielding to part of the mainframe from an EMP (real technology here) protected the part that held MCP, however the shielding around a physical firewall between it and the rest of the networked mainframe failed allowing the just born AI loose?

Does that work with the design of the computer mainframe network that has already been introduced? Maybe a bit of editing will need to be done on that section at a later time.

It would be very irresponsible to have the mainframe located solely in one location but to have a large neural network spread out across the ship in case any part of the ship took damage.

Some points of clarification....

The MEL and MEUS vehicles are built to walk around on the outside of the ship. The ship is covered with anchor points that they cling to as they walk the surface. They are parked on the inside of hab ring 4 on the connectors between the modules. They have an atmosphere cab for a single operator. The operator gets into one of them by climbing a ladder on the 3rd floor and through a double hatch - one on the ship and one on the vehicle. Once in one of the vehicles it can be moved around the ship. They walk like a chameleon. The MEUS has a long boom with a maintenance cage for a couple of crew members. The MEL has a long robotic arm for manuvering heavy cargo. You do not need a space suite to operate a MEUS or a MEL.

The Wrangler is similar to MEL. It is like a space tug boat used for mauvering virtually any type of cargo in free space. There is normally one Wrangle ready, and it is docked at the tip of zeroG, the center cargo bay. It would be impossible for it to dock to the hab ring since it is traveling at 113 km/h to maintain gravity. There are additional Wranglers docked in one of the other cargo bays. They are carried out by a MEL and held away from the ship before they fly. Like the MEL and MEUS vehicles, the Wrangler is a shirtsleeve environment.

Now in the story, I would assume that Kayra was boarding one of the Wranglers in the outer cargo bays. He would need a space suit for this since there is no atmosphere in the outer cargo bays, and there would be multiple Wranglers parked there. There would also be a small gravity on the outer wall of the cargo bay as it turns 3 rpm at a radius of 30 meters, allowing him to walk the catwalk to the ship. The coagulant would have sealed not only his would, but his suit to preserve his suit environment.

Now, the trip from the hab rings to zeroG is normally made in a transport module. This is a capsule that seats eight people. The transport modules are docked at the roof of ring 4. You climb up a ladder to get into it, and it has a hatch similar to the MEL and MEUS transports. Once sealed it is carried my a MEL to one of the ports on zeroG where the people climb into the center cargo bay.

ZeroG is the center cargo bay. It has atmosphere and the lowest artifical gravity since it is closest to the center of rotation. At the nose of zeroG is the main docking bay where the ready wrangler is normally parked. At the other end are the ports for the transport modules. Where zeroG intersects the outer cargo bays there are airlocks for people to pass through. Some of then are a "docking suit" where you step through the hole right into the suit and seal a door behind you. When done you back into the same spot and reverse the process.

The main body module contains the engine, its fuel, the hydrolic shock absorbers, and the reserves of propellant for all the extravehicular ships. The back 3rd is where the engine and its fuel are located. The other 2/3rds are where the propellant reserves are located. The reactor that supplies power to the ship is in the same section as the engine. There are maintenance areas and tunnels through the whole section, but no atmosphere.

Now, I have an idea as to what happened to the ship, but I will take that up in my next post.

Bill