Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

I also like the idea of the nano-bots. Which are really not "nano-bots" so much as a gen-engineered prion.
But TFS, prions don’t have DNA! They’d have to be “protein-engineered”. :)

:) Space mad cow disease! Fortunately for the world, but unfortunately, perhaps, for this story idea, prions are not known to be sexually transmissible. We don’t know much about prions, though – until recently, most molecular biologists didn’t believe they even existed.

Brainwashed? (fix it, and do not worry about the earth sub plot)

Violent reaction to extended space conditions? (food, radiation, close quarters, etc)

He took a dump, his space toilet malfunctioned, and sucked his brains out?

Hard radiation caused a single strawberry plant to mutate and produce a new toxin?

Sabotage on his tanks.. low oxygen is causing hypoxia? ( my fav. EAsily cause all his symptoms outside the ship)

A bacteria strain (like meningitis?) is reproducing at an unbelievable rate for some unknown reason. (could be lack of competition, or something as simple as the air mix). He is only the first to be affected....

Uh-oh.

Hydraulic fluid in Zero-G.

If you have hydraulic fluid, and you have a low reservoir this is not normally a huge problem, as any air in the lines floats to the top of the reservoir, and the pump provides the pressure.

BUT. In freefall, if you have ANY air in the lines at all, it will get into the lines, and cause pump cavitation, which means inconsistent power, which means that the reservoir can't be inline with the hydraulic system in zero-gee, which MEANS that if the oil is "a little low" the hydraulic shock is going to work right for a minute, then drop suddenly in unpredictable intervals.

Not good.

If anybody's better at hydraulics than I am, and I'm not right about this fill me in - this is an area where my knowledge is strictly practical.

TFS

Uh-oh.

Hydraulic fluid in Zero-G.

If you have hydraulic fluid, and you have a low reservoir this is not normally a huge problem, as any air in the lines floats to the top of the reservoir, and the pump provides the pressure.

BUT. In freefall, if you have ANY air in the lines at all, it will get into the lines, and cause pump cavitation, which means inconsistent power, which means that the reservoir can't be inline with the hydraulic system in zero-gee, which MEANS that if the oil is "a little low" the hydraulic shock is going to work right for a minute, then drop suddenly in unpredictable intervals.

Not good.

If anybody's better at hydraulics than I am, and I'm not right about this fill me in - this is an area where my knowledge is strictly practical.

TFS

Good point.

Any fluid leaving the resovoir to go intot he system would have to go through a centrifuge to remove air before moving onto the pump. The resovoir does not have to be under severe pressure, which allows us to apply many proccesses to it before it is returned to the system.

where is Delta Pavonis?

Delta Pavonis is about 19 ly away in the direction of the constellation Pavo. Since this constellation is not on the ecliptic, nor is Jupiter's present location even in that part of the sky, We are not likely to get there. (Too bad, Delta Pavonis is the closest G0 star to Earth that is not part of a binary pair, which makes it an excellent target star for the search for extraterrestrial life).

A more likely destination close to our present course is Alpha Librae, which is 77ly distant. (I hope you packed a lot of clean underwear)

Janus provides your education.

I just popped off the first star name I could think of. Like I said, I had us ending up at Lambda Librae, which is pretty much totally uninteresting.

Also, the escape velocity for the sun is 617 km/s - If we're going to Jupiter if five weeks, I'm pretty sure we're going at least that fast.

TFS