Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

Actually,

I would like to check the ETA though. If 1.5 days thrust (~) gives us ETA of 5 months and 3.0 days gives us ETA of 5 weeks. Well, you see the problem?

Wait a minute, I thought your 5 month ETA was based on a 1000 min or 16.7 hr burn? 16.7 hrs is only 0.7 days not 1.5 days.

Wait a minute, I thought your 5 month ETA was based on a 1000 min or 16.7 hr burn? 16.7 hrs is only 0.7 days not 1.5 days.

:beer: :lol: :) ...a thousand times... :D

Right! That was my daily required egregious error! Great! Now I am assured of being perfect the rest of the day! :D

Yes, our pellet injector can give us 1000 minutes of thrust at one time. We do maintenance and then repeat as necessary. Thanks for pointing this out. Good job.

Oh, and er... why is nobody putting up any new posts? It seems like there aint any one around!

Let us list the plausible reasons:

1. They are tired of space travel and adventure already.

2. They are worried they will add a "wrong" plot twist (PT).

3. They are afraid they will add a PT that disagrees with a previous one.

4. They are afraid their posts aren't as good as BigDog's.

5. They don't like the 'intrigue' PTs I and others have thrown in.

6. They are afraid they won't be able to think of any new PTs.

7. They are discouraged that they can't draw stuff like Janus.

8. They can't get a date with Desiree la'Tush.

I am minutes away from the weekend. I am making a full fledged effort to get a post of our last orbit of earth written, and to begin compiling the story together into a single document. I will post that document to the sticky and it will become Space Voyage #1 - Part 1. We are just beginning Part 2. I am going to use illustrations that people provided, along with the story peices everyone wrote for compiling the whole thing together.

I will take some liberty in sewing some of the story together. I am open to everyone's input. If you want an advace copy before I post so you can proof read it please let me know.

It is going to be a busy weekend! All that plus taking #4 to the swimming pool.

Bill

Again, all women. So we now had a crew of 100. And now we had 31 women and 69 men. Huh… sixty nine…

Ratio's not to good.. I call shotgun! :eek_big:

:doh: errr I didnt bring any *protection* with me.. there didnt happen to be any floating around in the recreational supplies?

We were going to run the engine all the way to the earth, and use her gravity to slingshot us at even higher speed out away from earth and toward Jupiter.

Bill (T+18)

The thing is that this won't result in any net gain of speed. Sure, you'll gain speed as fall in towards the Earth, but you'll lose it again as you climb back out.

A gravitational slingshot works by transfering orbital momentum from one object to another. In order for this tranfer to take place, however, there must be a initial difference in orbital speed between the objects. In this case, since our object is to reach Jupiter, the difference must be in their Solar orbits. Since the Moon. (our Starting point) orbits the Sun along with the Earth, Its mean solar orbital velocity is equal to that of the Earth's.

A gravitational slingshot in simplest terms is like an elastic collision between objects. Put an object in an orbit with a velocity of 30 km/sec. Place a second smaller object in its path with an orbital velocity of 20 km/sec in the same direction. The relative velocity between the two is 10 km/sec.

Let the first object catch up to and collide with the second object. They will hit at 10 km per second realtive to each other, and rebound from each other at that same speed. If the second object is much smaller than the first, the vast majority of this rebound will be in the manner of a change of velocity in this object. After the collision the two objects still have the same relative speed (10 km/sec) but now away from each other. The first object will be moving at slightly less than 30 km in the same direction it was before and the Second will moving at slighty less than 40 km in the same direction. The second object gains 20 km/sec by virtue of the transfer of momentum from the collision. And assuming that the first object was in a circular orbit, this is enough to boost the second object into a solar escape trajectory.

The only difference between this and a gravititational slingshot is that gravity gives us a way to swing around a planet in a hyperbolic trajectory to get this same "rebound" effect without a collision. The gain in speed does not come from the gravity, it comes from the transfer of momentum. Gravity just provides the mechanism for this transfer.

So, going back to our scenerio, our ship is in orbit around the Moon, and thus has the same Solar orbital velocity as the Earth. No velocity difference, no means of transfering momentum. (of course we can use our engines to make a difference, but since the velocity "gained" would be only equal to the velocity change caused by our engines, it would be a wash.)

Another point is that even if we could steal some orbital momentum from the Earth, in our present case, it would do us no good. This gain of velocity would have to be in the same direction as the Earth's orbital motion, and with Juipiter's present position relative to Earth, the Earth is moving in the wrong direction.

All that being said, there is a legitimate reason why we might want to swing in close to the Earth. Right now, the Moon is in its last quarter, which means that it is in that part of its orbit where it is "in front" of the Earth in its orbital path, and on the "opposite" side of the Earth with respect to Jupiter . By passing in close to the Earth on the right hyperbola, we can use its gravity to "steer" us onto the correct heading to Jupiter. ( like a roller skater using a lamp post to change direction.)

Thanks Janus!

I learn something new every day. I had been wondering about how gravitational slingshotting worked. Now I know. I guess we do exactly as is written, but instead of a slingshot it is for steering purposes. Still works for me. I will make not of the engineering and be sure to correct it in the compiled version I am making.

Bill