Science Forums

Space Voyage #1 Chatter

Jay-qu

Here is just one of many possible flight paths. I like this one because it gives us a chance to swing back by the inner planets and if we need past Earth for refueling.

the planets will shift a little during our travel time, but this is negligible for the outer planets, for the inner planets it actually works in this flight paths advantage :shrug:

One thing that might affect this flight plan is the amount of time we spend exploring the Jovian system. There's a lot there to look at and it spread out over a fairly large area (the diameter o fthe jovial system is about equal to 60% o fthe distance from Earth to Mars at closest approach.) Of course, we probably won't need to visit all the small moons, but we could still spend qutie a bit of time on just the "Big Four".

Jupiter and Satrun are my biggest points of interest. We want to do a thorough exploration of the moon systems. I would suggest that we send at least a GeoSat to each to get some decent mapping done. Then evaluate the results during our time on the big four to determine which ones are worthy of further investigation. Have we determined our time of travel to Jupiter? I don't want to spend the whole time with the engines on. We can spend a few weeks drifting on corse and using the telescope array and we need plenty of time to prep all of the sats for the work they will perform when we arrive. We will be busy.

Bill

Jupiter and Satrun are my biggest points of interest. We want to do a thorough exploration of the moon systems. I would suggest that we send at least a GeoSat to each to get some decent mapping done. Then evaluate the results during our time on the big four to determine which ones are worthy of further investigation. Have we determined our time of travel to Jupiter? I don't want to spend the whole time with the engines on. We can spend a few weeks drifting on corse and using the telescope array and we need plenty of time to prep all of the sats for the work they will perform when we arrive. We will be busy.

Bill

It really depends on how long we want to maintain thrust. If we go full thrust for three days, we could get to Jupiter in roughly 5 weeks, including braking at the end. That's 3 days of thrust, a little over 4 weeks coasting, and then about 3 days of thrust to brake and match velocity with Jupiter.

One thing that might affect this flight plan is the amount of time we spend exploring the Jovian system. There's a lot there to look at and it spread out over a fairly large area (the diameter o fthe jovial system is about equal to 60% o fthe distance from Earth to Mars at closest approach.) Of course, we probably won't need to visit all the small moons, but we could still spend qutie a bit of time on just the "Big Four".

I let the simulation run for a few months and it doesnt have much affect on the outer planets, uranus practically didnt move, the main problem is with the inner planets, but that just might mean swinging around the sun the other way, as you can see venus isnt in there but I think we could at least swing by there and have a look.

I am going to try and figure out some of the realistic capabilities of the ship based upon the post in the story where Pyro described the engine. At full throttle it fired every two seconds to allow the shock absorber time to reset. He also described the fuel pellets as being 1 gram of plutonium encased in 100 grams of high alloy steel. So the dimensions of a 101 gram steel sphere is about... 4.466602626 cm in diameter, or 1.758504969 inches for us Americans. Each weights exactly 101 grams. We have a delivery system like a machine gun, with the pellets loaded like bullets and stored in a belt delivery system. Very stable, very safe. They are housed in the main fuselage behind the engine. The area they are stored in has a capacity of 21205 cubic meters. If just .1% of that area contains fuel pellets and the rest is the delivery system then that makes... 1.9 million fuel pellets, or enough for 1005+ hours at full throttle. 1.9 tonnes of plutonium wrapped in 190 tonnes of steel alloy as fuel. Don't concern yourself with where we got it all. It is safe to say that much of the nuclear stockpile of the world has been put to good use. :lol:

It also represents a small portion of the total weight of the ship, so it will have fairly even performance even as the fuel is expended.

I am really thrilled with everything going on here. The writing is crisp and creative, and the entries keep me guessing as to what is coming next. I look forward every new entry. I plan on doing another entry this weekend to break us away from earth and have us on our way to Jupiter. We can do a time jump when we run out of plot during the transit time to Jupiter. Once we get there we have plenty of things to do and coordinate. I am going to crack the books on Jupiter and its moons to find out what we think is there, and we can then imagine what it adds up to.

Unil later!

Bill

I think it should be compiled and edited into a more coherent and flowing story (more than it already is :beer:) and then printed as a hard copy :confused:

I am working on that very thing. I will be filling in some fo the backstory and bring us all the way to our exit from orbit toward Jupiter. It may take a month or more as it is a great deal of work to fit into my life schedule. I will post draft copies here as I make progress for proff reading and editing.

In the mean time, we forge ahead with the mission!

Bill

...So is this girl a nano-bot swarm? I say power down all main systems, and EMP the SOB's -...

No, not a nano-bot swarm. She is an ordinary (okay, extraordinary) human female who has been infected with an STD. It turns out that the STD is not a natural organism, but an artificial "robot" constructed out of strands of DNA, RNA, proteins, enzymes, and other stuff. There is what appears to be a grappling claw in the electron microscope photos, and a simple Turing computer with perhaps 8 commands. (It's a 3-bit machine?) Its command sequence is a loop of RNA. As far as we can tell, the computer is "running", but in some sort of idle mode.

Since it is not self-replicating, Desiree is the only source of infection. BTW, didn't I see you with your arm around her waist headed for the "Tahiti" garden module day before yesterday? Have yourself checked. She was probably dosed with a time-release capsule of the little bugs, and the intention was to only infect a few dozen of us.

My guess is, the buggers are on a "timer" program--say, counting to a trillion. As soon as they do, they start executing the rest of that RNA loop. After that, I can only guess.

Oh, I have one other clue, though it's a little bizarre. We have been told that the nano-bots are definately the work of the Cosmic Church of Free Love, not some terrorist group. Go figger.

Are you suggesting that these nanobots are nothing more than... uh... crabs? :eek: :hihi: :lol: Don't tell Pyro. :confused: He is trying to cure himself with a large magnet.

OKAY, BIG DOG!!

YOU, TOO, JQ!!

That isn't nice! And it's NOT a magnet! It's a... well... a chiropractic chakra magnet, I'll have you know. MagnetMan gave it to me before the trip. It has curing powers that modern medicine scoffs at. SCOFFS!! Well, I'll show them!! And you!!

And your little dogs, too!!! :beer:

It really depends on how long we want to maintain thrust. If we go full thrust for three days, we could get to Jupiter in roughly 5 weeks, including braking at the end. That's 3 days of thrust, a little over 4 weeks coasting, and then about 3 days of thrust to brake and match velocity with Jupiter.

Actually, I agree with Janus. 17 hours should be considered an initial boost. Then we do maintenance on the pusher plate assembly, the pellet injector, the toroid reactor, make sure everything is go, and then do it again until we accumulate 36 hours of thrust. Perhaps we could justify this as a result of the fact that the injector can only hold 30,000 pellets at one time.

I would like to check the ETA though. If 1.5 days thrust (~) gives us ETA of 5 months and 3.0 days gives us ETA of 5 weeks. Well, you see the problem?

Just a side note -- a suggestion to all. It would be fantastic if all our plots and calculations all agreed, but then we would spend all our time here in "chatter" and none out there on the ship.

Don't be afraid to post on the Vogage #1 thread!!! C'mon!! have fun and do it. Use "chatter" for clarifying some technical stuff perhaps or for arranging with a crew member that you want THEM to offer a solution, but don't be afraid to have "cracks" in the story line. It's a story, remember? And the purpose is to have fun and maybe learn something. And to create something we can be proud of.

Give it your best shot. We can always twist a later plot to cover any descrepancies in a past plot. :confused: