Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

Ashley nods in agreement .. I trap possums for a living and have studied the many diseases animals spread ..

Pretty amazing article you produce ..

Regards Ashley ..

YES

Life is too short to properly explore the web!:)

There are some nutrients that can do that. One, in particular is 'phosphatidylserine. There are others.

Mike, tell me more please.

Smoking And Depression Often Occur Together In New Mothers

ScienceDaily (Nov. 24, 2007) — Smoking and depression often go hand-in-hand for new mothers, according to a new study by Temple University researcher Dr. Robert Whitaker.

Smoking And Depression Often Occur Together In New Mothers

Mike, tell me more please.

I have been subscribing to the Naturopathic Healthcare practicioners. Julius Whitaker, who has a health clinic in California that I am subscibing to currently, recommends dietary enhancing supplements like Lithium in low safe doses, B Complex vitamins with added folic acid and B12, folate rich foods like leafy greens and beans, Ginkgo Biloba and blueberries.

There are other 'memory' enhancers like vinpocetine, hyperzine and another nutrient for the brain like phosphatidyl choline that is a component of lecithin, the fat emulsifyer.

This latter group is from my own knowledge base that included the phosphatidyl serene.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a brain treatment for 'stroke' victims.

Of course, this involves brain injury that may not be applicable to the lesser problems but I think you should be informed about it.

Mike C

I have been subscribing to the Naturopathic Healthcare practicioners. Julius Whitaker, who has a health clinic in California that I am subscibing to currently, recommends dietary enhancing supplements like Lithium in low safe doses, B Complex vitamins with added folic acid and B12, folate rich foods like leafy greens and beans, Ginkgo Biloba and blueberries.

There are other 'memory' enhancers like vinpocetine, hyperzine and another nutrient for the brain like phosphatidyl choline that is a component of lecithin, the fat emulsifyer.

This latter group is from my own knowledge base that included the phosphatidyl serene.

Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) is a brain treatment for 'stroke' victims.

Of course, this involves brain injury that may not be applicable to the lesser problems but I think you should be informed about it.

Mike C

i don't think any of these can hurt.

What does he think of the magnesium (see previous posts) supliment?

support.

Holiday Blues (14)

Sponsored Links

LifeLiteFull Spectrum Daylight Lamps Worldwide Distributors Welcomewww.lifelite.de

Seasonal Depression HelpAnswers to your questions about Seasonal Affective Disorder.yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com

SAD Light TherapyWhy light therapy is the treatment of choice for seasonal depressionwww.lighttherapy.com.au

Alternatives to Light Therapy for SAD Treatment

While light therapy is considered the best treatment for SAD, alternatives to light therapy--such as antidepressants, dawn simulation and high density negative air ionization--do exist.

Best Treatment for SAD

Despite the many treatments that have been investigated, light therapy remains one of the best treatments for SAD. Learn more about light therapy here.

Brite Lite - Product Review

A review of Apollo's Brite Lite series of lightboxes, in particular the Brite Lite III, for the treatment of Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD).

Feeling SAD as the Days Grow Shorter?

A comprehensive set of links that will help you prepare for the SAD season.

goLITE - Product Review

Depression Can Be a Real Pain!

Ever heard someone say, "He's a real pain in the neck" (or other body part!)? Did you know that stress in your life can quite literally be expressed as pain and illness? To make this easier to understand, let's compare your body to a pressure cooker...read more

Low Birth Weight Linked to Later Depression

Smaller babies are more likely to have depression and anxiety later in life, according a new study reported in the December issue of Biological Psychiatry...read more

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) - About Seasonal Affective Disorder

Angelica

Yes, SAD is a problem during these seasonal changes during the Fall season.

Light therapy was also mentioned/

Whitaker addressed this problem, among the many that exist.

He also mentioned magnesium as a mineral the general population lacks in their diets.

He says it is a 'must' be included when taking a calcium suplement for osteoporoses with vitamin D incuded.

The Naturopathic physicians treat the causes of the deseases rather than just the symptoms.

Mike C

Epsom Salt health benefit : by Ray Sahelian, M.D. Epsom salt use in medicine

Magnesium

PDF FILE HERE:-

Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment

This graphic is from a commercial site that sells magnesium and test for magnesium deficiency. However it has lots of good easily readable info. Well worth a read.

LINK:

MAGNESIUM The Power Mineral: Magnesium and Cardiology; Intracellular Diagnostics, Testing for Mineral Electrolytes in the Cell; Screening for Magnesium Deficiency

The question I guess is which magnesium is best and how much?

Another good link

MAGNESIUM The Power Mineral: Magnesium and Cardiology; Intracellular Diagnostics, Testing for Mineral Electrolytes in the Cell; Screening for Magnesium Deficiency

Some excellent hints for horticultural (gardening) and farm animal use here-

maybe we do need a Garden & Farm sub forum.

Agricultural Epsom

Thanx for posting this!

I've been using mg (as well as a few other nutritional supliments) for about a month now and they seem to be helping. (I'm still looney but at least I'm not so tired, sore, and "moody".)

Definately

After reading a number of health magazines, the best magnesium supplement was the magnesium 'citrate' that I use with my calcium supplement. They should be a 2-1 ratio between the calcium/magnesium citrate with 'D' that I use.

Notice that that chart above has the meats near the bottom for the magnesium content.

Mike C

New smoking cessation drug linked with suicide ideation

As well as acne and depression, add smoking to the conditions whose medical treatment may cause suicidal thoughts. The FDA is assessing post-marketing reports that mood changes may accompany use of varenicline (Chantix). Some Chantix users reporting suicidal thoughts had no prior history of psychological issues.

The jury is still out on whether varenicline is better than bupriopion for smoking cessation.

A study published last month hints at a genetic basis underlying this adverse reaction to SSRIs. Maybe someday there will be a test for this particular drug hazard.

SearchMedica <[email protected]>

• Get a free subscription to this email newsletter.

• 2 weeks later...

Another report on the anti-smoking drug

Anti-smoking pill linked to depression

PM - Monday, 17 December , 2007 18:38:00

Reporter: Jennifer Macey

BRENDAN TREMBATH: A pill designed to help smokers quit is causing concern because of reports that it led to suicides and depression among some patients in the United States.

The prescription drug sold as Champix was launched in Sydney today and will be available on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme from January.

The drug has been available in the US and Europe for over a year where there have been reports of depressive symptoms in some patients.

Just last week the European Medicines Agency asked the pharmaceutical company Pfizer to update its product safety information.

The safety information has been changed in Australia too to include a warning that people with mental illness should take the drug with caution.

PM - Anti-smoking pill linked to depression

This led the researchers to evaluate the effects of erythropoietin (Epo), a hormone naturally produced by the kidneys that stimulates the formation of red blood cells and is known as a treatment for anemia.

The authors explain that new evidence shows that Epo also "has neuroprotective and neurotrophic effects in animal models and affects cognitive and associated neural responses in humans," suggesting that it may be a candidate in the treatment of depression.

In this study, Miskowiak and colleagues evaluated the effects of Epo on the neural and cognitive processing of emotional information in healthy volunteers using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI).

They found that Epo regulated the emotional responses of those volunteers that received it, similar to the effects of current antidepressants.

Ms. Miskowiak explains that "this finding provides support to the idea that Epo affects neural function and may be a candidate agent for future treatment strategies for depression."

John H. Krystal, M.D., Editor of Biological Psychiatry and affiliated with both Yale University School of Medicine and the VA Connecticut Healthcare System, confirms its potential: "Epo appears to have neurotrophic effects in the brain in animals.

The current data suggest that Epo may modulate human brain activity associated with the process, , ,

Natural Human Hormone As The Next Antidepressant?

Work and depression

Listen Now - 27102007 |Download Audio - 27102007

High psychological demands are experienced in all areas of work. This causes stress and anxiety. Rates of anxiety and depression are increasing in the western world.

Although genes have been isolated associated with depression, genes alone don't determine whether someone develops a particular problem. They work together with the environment.

Show Transcript | Hide Transcript

Science Show - 27October2007 - Work and depression

Richie Poulton: The paper we've got coming out shows that there is a certain type of work stress related to high psychological demands (that is enormous time pressure, heavy workload and so forth) that can predict who becomes depressed in otherwise healthy people, people who have never had depression or anxiety in their life.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres an interesting article I stumbled across. It has always been a pet peeve of mine. :) Some women who shower in perfume.

It may have something to do with depression.

Why Some Women Wear Too Much Perfume - Yahoo! News

Women who doll up with too much perfume might not know it because they're depressed.

That's the conclusion of Dr. Yehuda Shoenfeld, a physician and autoimmune disease researcher at Tel Aviv University in Israel who studies "autoantibodies." This class of chemicals launches attacks against the body's cells, often in patients with autoimmune disease such as lupus.

"Our scientific findings suggest that women who are depressed are also losing their sense of smell, and may overcompensate by using more perfume," he said.

Heres an interesting article I stumbled across. It has always been a pet peeve of mine. :thumbs_up Some women who shower in perfume.

It may have something to do with depression.

Why Some Women Wear Too Much Perfume - Yahoo! News

Fascinating

That links with some of the stuff in "Fragrance and perfume" thread - (See12-29-2006) & post 50, 51

Geneticist Douglas Portman, Ph.D., and graduate student KyungHwa Lee ultimately hope to understand gender differences in diseases like autism, depression, and attention-deficit disorder

Hi Racoon,

I know a bloke who does the same thing with aftershave on occasions and he suffers from depression too.

I wonder what's going on?

Zinc is said to be important for the sense of smell (also for testosterone production ?)

They seem to have established a link between the sense of smell and alzheimers But I haven't seen anything on depression. Might have a 'good google' one day

Anyone using the magnesium?(see previous posts)

Any results?