Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

"Glutamate System in Depression"

A large amount of research provides compelling supportive evidence for a dysfunction in the brain’s glutamate signaling system in major depressive disorder (MDD). This postulate is based on 1) evidence of increased levels of glutamate in vivo in the brain of depressed patients; 2) postmortem evidence of altered levels of proteins related to glutamate transmission; 3) antidepressant-like potential of agents decreasing glutamate signaling in rodents and humans
Beata Karolewicz

glutamate system involved in schizophrenia OCD and Depression

But recent studies on ketamine have pushed researchers to change how they think about depression. The anesthetic acts on glutamate, the brain's most plentiful neurotransmitter, which circulates widely in the brain and hasn't been linked to depression in the past.

In a small experiment led by Zarate last year, five of 18 people who received a single intravenous dose of ketamine experienced a dramatic lifting of their depression the first day and were still much better a week later. All patients in the experiment had first tried regular antidepressants but did not improve on them, according to the study published last August in the Archives of General Psychiatry.

Similar fast improvements were found in a study of eight patients conducted at Yale Medical School and published in Biological Psychiatry in 2000.

The rapid response was encouraging, Zarate said, suggesting that a faster-acting antidepressant may be possible. Current antidepressants take two to three weeks to begin working, and until recently, "it was just accepted as fact we couldn't do any better," he said.

. . .

Dr. Gerard Sanacora, director of the depression research program at Yale Medical School, said the results also mean that glutamate may have a more direct role in depression than serotonin and other brain chemicals targeted by current antidepressants.

"The fact that it acts so rapidly means that it is getting closer to the core of depression," Sanacora said.

In some ways, it's surprising that researchers studying depression didn't suspect the role of glutamine, which is an amino acid, in the disorder sooner. Malfunctions in the glutamate system have long been linked to other psychological and neurological disorders, including schizophrenia and Alzheimer's disease. Glutamate has long been associated with learning and memory.

"It is hard to image anything glutamate is not involved in," said Sanacora. "It is really what makes the brain run."

Still, scientists haven't yet figured out how the glutamate system goes awry in depression.

One theory is that glutamate leaks from brain cells, perhaps in response to chronic emotional stress, and causes changes in key brain structures.

The hippocampus, which processes memory, and the parts of the cortex, where decisions are made, are known to be smaller in depressed people. Perhaps, Zarate said, excess glutamate caused cells in these brain structures to shrivel. High amounts of glutamate are toxic to brain cells and cause the death of some neurons in stroke patients, he noted.

Ketamine is not approved for treating depression and Zarate said it was too soon to give it to patients outside the confines of a clinical trial.

Ketamine can cause hallucinations and confusion and is sometimes abused as a club drug. In fact, he said, all patients who received the drug in his study reported out-of-body hallucinations.

But studying the workings of ketamine in the brain may provide researchers with information that could lead to a new class of fast-acting antidepressants.

Glutamic acid

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Glutamic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[edit] As a neurotransmitter

Glutamate is the most abundant fast excitatory neurotransmitter in the mammalian nervous system. At chemical synapses, glutamate is stored in vesicles.. . .

. Because of its role in synaptic plasticity, it is believed that glutamic acid is involved in cognitive functions like learning and memory in the brain.

. . .

Glutamic acid is present in a wide variety of foods and is responsible for one of the five basic tastes of the human sense of taste (umami), especially in its physiological form, the sodium salt of glutamate in a neutral pH. Ninety-five percent of the dietary glutamate is metabolized by intestinal cells in a first pass [5].

Overall, glutamic acid is the single largest contributor to intestinal energy. As a source for umami, the sodium salt of glutamic acid, monosodium glutamate (MSG) is used as a food additive to enhance the flavor of foods, although an identical effect can be achieved by mixing and cooking together different ingredients rich in this amino acid and other umami substances as well.

Another source of MSG is fruits, vegetables and nuts that have been sprayed with Auxigro. Auxigro is a growth enhancer that contains 30% glutamic acid.

Glutamic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Both NMDA and AMPA are receptors for the neurotransmitter glutamate, one of the chemical messengers that enable brain cells to communicate with each other. The glutamate system has been implicated in depression recently, leading to efforts to unravel its molecular machinery in search of abnormalities and of better targets for antidepressant medications.

This focus on the glutamate system is a departure from the thinking that led to currently available antidepressants, which are thought to relieve depression through a lengthy trickle-down process of biochemical reactions that affect the circuitry underlying depression.

The fact that NMDA and AMPA receptors are part of the glutamate system and that targeting them directly led to such rapid, sustained relief of depression-like behaviors in this study -- and that a single dose of ketamine did the same in humans in the earlier study -- suggests that they are probably the key targets for antidepressant medications.

"In any other illness of depression's magnitude, patients aren't expected to just accept that their treatments won't start helping them for weeks or months. The value of our research on compounds like ketamine is that it tells us where to look for more precise targets for new kinds of medications that can close the gap," said NIMH Director Thomas R. Insel, MD. "We're making tremendous progress."

Faster-Acting Antidepressants Closer To Becoming A Reality - Could Relieve Symptoms Of The Disorder In Hours

Clinical Textbook of Addictive Disorders

Clinical Textbook of Addictive Disorders - Google Book Search

Depression

In Canada from 1995- 2000 visits to doctors for depression rose 36% in just 6 years. Also, since 1996 prescriptions to treat depression increased 63%.

China, a large consumer of MSG, accounts for 42% of all suicides in the world.

According to this recent article, 250,000 people commit suicide in China each year. Suicide and depression among China's youth is becoming a serious public health issue in China.

The Hindu News Update Service

According to the following link suicides have increased - especially in the age groups of those who consume large amounts of MSG in fast foods:

Note: "Persons under age 25 accounted for 15% of all suicides in 1998. From 1952-1995, the incidence of suicide among adolescents and young adults nearly tripled. From 1980-1997, the rate of suicide among persons aged 15-19 years increased by 11% and among persons aged 10-14 years by 109%. From 1980-1996, the rate increased 105% for African-American males aged 15-19."

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/factsheets/suifacts.htm

Disease Statistics

Household Mold Linked To Depression

Science Daily — A groundbreaking public health study has found a connection between damp, moldy homes and depression. The study, led by Brown University epidemiologist Edmond Shenassa, is the largest investigation of an association between mold and mood and is the first such investigation conducted outside the United Kingdom.

. . .

. . .

Shenassa and his team are conducting follow-up research to see if mold does, indeed, directly cause depression. Shenassa said that given the results of the current study, he wouldn’t be surprised if there is a cause-and-effect association. Molds are toxins, and some research has indicated that these toxins can affect the nervous system or the immune system or impede the function of the frontal cortex, the part of the brain that plays a part in impulse control, memory, problem solving, sexual behavior, socialization and spontaneity.

ScienceDaily: Household Mold Linked To Depression

PS

Is it me or hypography that is getting slower. especially in seach mode

• 3 weeks later...

This is from a regular newsletter on depression.

I recommend signing up if you are interested in the subject.

Experts Question Study on Youth Suicide Rates

From Nancy Schimelpfening,

Your Guide to Depression.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board

Experts Question Study on Youth Suicide Rates

Previously we reported about two studies which found an increase in youth suicide following a U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) mandated warning label regarding the risk of suicidal thoughts in children taking SSRI antidepressants. Outside experts who took a look at one of the studies, published in The American Journal of Psychiatry, say the data do not support the authors' conclusion that the warning label may have scared parents away from treatment, thus leading to more suicide.

According to data in the study, suicide rates for Americans ages 19 and under rose 14 percent in 2004. The number of prescriptions for antidepressants in that group, however, remained virtually the same. Prescription rates for minors did fall sharply a year later, but the suicide rates for 2005 are not yet available from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Without a statistical link between these two, the data in this study do not prove anything, say the experts.

In an interview with The New York Times, Dr. Robert D. Gibbons, lead author of the study, acknowledged that their data did not support a causal link. “We really need to see the 2005 numbers on suicide to see what happened,” he said. Dr. Gibbons defended his paper, however, saying “this study was suggestive, that’s what we’re saying.”

It looks like we will have to wait for further research to find out the real effect of the warning label.

Friday September 14, 2007 | comments (0)

A Funny play on Depression?:wave:

Just went to see the play "Ying Tong-A Walk with the Goons" a brief history of the early Spike Milligan years. When he was writing the "Goons" he was also suffering from clinical depression.

It is a great play touring all Australian States at the moment. Melbourne and Hobart in the next weeks. It is funny,happy,sad, hilarious especially if you are a Goons or Milligan Fan.

I love his book "Adolf Hitler My Part in His Downfall".- bound to cheer you even on a bad day.:doh:

Milligan was a prolific writer, something few seem to know. A lot of his early BBC work is sadly lost to us because the stupid BBC did not keep it!

Why is it that so many talented artists, especially comics (Patrick Cook, Peter Sellers etc), have such personal sadness?

Restricting Pesticides Could Greatly Reduce Suicide Rates Worldwide

Science Daily — National and international policies restricting the pesticides that are most toxic to humans may have a major impact on world suicides, according to new research from the University of Bristol recently published in the International Journal of Epidemiology (IJE).

Professor David Gunnell of the University’s Department of Social Medicine and colleagues from the South Asian Clinical Toxicology Research Collaboration in Sri Lanka found that Sri Lanka’s import restrictions on the most toxic pesticides were followed by marked reductions in suicide.

Between 1950 and 1995 suicide rates in Sri Lanka increased 8-fold to a peak of 47 per 100,000 in 1995. By 2005, rates had halved. The researchers investigated whether restrictions on the import and sales of the most highly toxic pesticides in 1995 and 1998 coincided with these reductions in suicide.

They found that 19,800 fewer suicides occurred in 1996-2005 compared with 1986-95. Other factors that affect suicide rates such as unemployment, alcohol misuse, divorce and war did not appear to be associated with these declines.

Pesticide self-poisoning is thought to account for an estimated 300,000 deaths in Asia – over a third of the world’s suicides

ScienceDaily: Restricting Pesticides Could Greatly Reduce Suicide Rates Worldwide

Drew Carey Speaks About His Depression and Suicide Attempts

In an interview with Access Hollywood's Nancy O'Dell, comedian and new host of The Price Is Right Drew Carey revealed a darker side of himself. “I was depressed for a long time,” said Carey. So depressed that at the age of 18 and again in his 20's he attempted to take his own life by overdosing on pills.

Speaking of the stigma of the disease, Carey said, “Living in Hollywood, you can get disconnected from everybody. You can feel like you are the only one. So you feel it, you hold it in and you don’t let it go and you don’t try to find help because you think, 'Oh man if I tell anybody, I’m going to seem like I’m weak. I won’t get a movie deal. I won’t get invited to…' whatever goes through your head.”

When asked about Owen Wilson's recent suicide attempt, Carey replied, “It’s going to sound cold, but I wasn’t reading the paper going 'Oh poor guy.' I was thinking, I hope he’s learning what he is supposed to be learning from this whole experience and not wasting the opportunity to learn.”

Speaking about how he overcame his depression, Carey said, “I learned how to believe in myself. Learned how to set goals, you know, self help books, man. I just read every single one I can get a hold of and I still do. I read that stuff all the time still. I am always coming out bigger, better, stronger and happier.”

Related Article:

* Famous People With Depression

Wednesday September 26, 2007 | comments

Drew Carey Speaks About His Depression and Suicide Attempts

In an interview with Access Hollywood's Nancy O'Dell, comedian and new host of The Price Is Right Drew Carey revealed a darker side of himself. “I was depressed for a long time,” said Carey. So depressed that at the age of 18 and again in his 20's he attempted to take his own life by overdosing on pills.

Speaking of the stigma of the disease, Carey said, “Living in Hollywood, you can get disconnected from everybody. You can feel like you are the only one. So you feel it, you hold it in and you don’t let it go and you don’t try to find help because you think, 'Oh man if I tell anybody, I’m going to seem like I’m weak. I won’t get a movie deal. I won’t get invited to…' whatever goes through your head.”

When asked about Owen Wilson's recent suicide attempt, Carey replied, “It’s going to sound cold, but I wasn’t reading the paper going 'Oh poor guy.' I was thinking, I hope he’s learning what he is supposed to be learning from this whole experience and not wasting the opportunity to learn.”

Speaking about how he overcame his depression, Carey said, “I learned how to believe in myself. Learned how to set goals, you know, self help books, man. I just read every single one I can get a hold of and I still do. I read that stuff all the time still. I am always coming out bigger, better, stronger and happier.”

Related Article:

Wednesday September 26, 2007 | commentsDrew Carey Speaks About His Depression and Suicide Attempts

Related Article:

Wednesday September 26, 2007 | comments

It is interesting that so many famous comedians have de4pression problems.

Thanks a million for all the excellent articles, Michaelangelica! Even though I don't comment often, I read and appreciate them all.

Thanks for the thanks

It is much appreciated

Most people who suffer from clinical Depression find it almost impossible to explain to their family, friends and loved ones

Many talk about pain as real as a physical assault on the body.

Many suicides talk about 'ending the pain'

Here is one persons attempt to describe depression

Depression

by SST, Oct 10, 2007

A poem about a personal struggle with life and depression.

Eyes full of tears, shimmer

Can't fight the tears

That refuse to fall

The sorrow that lingers

But will not manifest

The pain that aches, constant

Without any reason

No meaning understood

Fight the fear, the ache

That has no form

Ceaseless sorrow surrounds

Haunts me within

No end or reason

Why must I feel this way

This nameless pain

Flightless tears, swelling

Blind my eyes

Despite the joy

That surrounds me daily

As I hide the pain.

http://www.authspot.com/Poetry/Depression.50995

I have suffered with Dysthymia, chronic, low level depression and have had periods of Major Depression as well (double depression)..... major depression (the abyss) would swoop over me like a wave, sometimes I could feel it coming but felt powerless to stop it and I never knew how long it would be. For me there were no tears I was beyond tears. There was no pleasure, no music, no reasoning, no way out! There was absolutely no functioning when it would hit.

I tried doctors and drugs. Add side effects, tension, regular dr visits (which was hard because I could hardly drive) and debt to the depression. It took over 2 years to lose one side effect!

This info from George Eby was a light shone on information that others more technically qualified have covered but was written in the form I needed. But still, not having the wherewithal (mental or financial) to go out and get the form of Magnesium he feels is best I started with the magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) that were at hand. After only a couple weeks I awoke one day to be missing the black cloud that had followed me all my concious life.... and though I have had a couple bad months since then (in 3 yrs) the cloud seems to be gone for good.

I slip up on the dose occasionally and am quickly reminded that it is a nutritional prerequisite for my health and I get back to the maintainance level dose. (1/2 teaspoon "powdered" epsom salts" which mixes nicely in orange juice.) I started with a teaspoon a day and switched to 1/2 after a month or so. It powders easily in a blade type coffee mill. Caution on calcium use is needed (per the article).

"Chemical imbalance" can be another term for nutritional deficiencies of minerals like magnesium and an abundance of calcium in forms not usable by the body. Also sugar and grain use proved to be a catalyst for pain and depression by depleting nutritional resources, so eventually I limited them. This therapy turned around 30+ years of chronic depression...

Rapid Recovery From Depression Using Magnesium Treatment

Magnesium-Deficiency Catastrophe: The Magnesium Web Site

Watercure.com - The Miracles of Water to Cure Diseases another site designed to build health in your body not wealth in healthcare accounts....

Magnesium (Steve Harris)

the dr harris writing this is convinced that cheap old epsom salts is an acceptable form of magnesium. and this is where I found the approximate dose to take. (1 teaspoon in split dose if needed)

From Goodhart and Shills: Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease (6th

ed), the standard text in the field: pg 317 (quote):

"Supplementary magnesium may be given as tablets of milk of magnesia or as geletin capsules packed with powdered magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts),...one is given three to six times per day." Magnesium is absorbed fine from Epsom Salt--

I have been suffering from severe depression for most of my life. I am currently taking five (!) types of medication. Sometimes the side-effects can be even worse than the illness itself.

Thank you so much for this info! It might just change my life. I'll start taking magnesium supplements and report back here on my progress. Hopefully it will also take care of my chronic migraines.

. I'll start taking magnesium supplements and report back here on my progress. Hopefully it will also take care of my chronic migraines.

Great our own little hypog experiment i will try too

SERIOUSLY On Migraines you must buy yourself a dozen Feverfew (chrysanthemum parnethiem?) plants. Grow them and eat 2-3 or so leaves EVERY day

it is a prophylactic.

Many get results immediately others take a year

Google the research done at Guy's hospital London Migraine clinic.

Athlete's Foot. Soaking in Epsom salt could help eliminate fungi that cause athlete's foot. For specific details on how to use Epsom salt for this condition, see athlete's foot.

Relaxation and stress relief. Soaking in Epsom salt does help muscle tissue relax and release stress.

Post exercise relief of muscle aches. Soaking in a bath of Epsom salt helps relieve muscle aches after a heavy workout.

Epsom salt bathing increase blood levels of magnesium and sulfate

At least one study has shown that whole body soaking in Epsom salt for seven days in a row does increase blood levels of magnesium and sulfate, although the rise is not excessive. Most people are not likely to soak in Epsom salt every day.

Epsom Salt health benefit : by Ray Sahelian, M.D. Epsom salt use in medicine

Hi Dr. Stoll,

I have a serious magnesium wasting disorder and am at wits end trying to figure out what is causing it.

The presenting symptom was suicidal depression. Since my very rapid recovery using magnesium glycinate, I have developed a strong interest in treating depression and hyperemotionality (ADHD, mania, bi-polar, anxiety, OCD, suicidal depression) with magnesium. I have created a large web page devoted to use of magnesium glycinate in treating depression and hyperemotionality generally at

http://coldcure.com/html/dep.html . Many topics are covered.

I no longer have any depression problems or any health issues and am full of energy both mentally and physically.

Unfortunately, I am still wasting so much magnesium (by definition through kidneys) that I must take 200 mg of magnesium as glycinate every 4 hours to prevent cardiac palpitations (which are a reliable indicator of low magnesium in me). Is there hope for people like us that have no identifiable illness other than magnesium wasting? How can we restore our normal "non magnesium wasting" status so we will not need to be slaves to a bottle of magnesium?

I am also very sensitive to calcium and avoid it

Magnesium

Rapid recovery from major depression

using magnesium treatment

George A. Eby

, Karen L. Eby

Summary Major depression is a mood disorder characterized by a sense of inadequacy, despondency, decreased activity, pessimism, anhedonia and sadness where these symptoms severely disrupt and adversely affect the person’s life, sometimes to such an extent that suicide is attempted or results.

Antidepressant drugs are not always effective and some have been accused of causing an increased number of suicides particularly in young people. Magnesium deficiency is well known to produce neuropathologies.

Only 16% of the magnesium found in whole wheat remains in refined flour, and magnesium has been removed from most drinking water supplies, setting a stage for human magnesium deficiency.

Magnesium ions regulate calcium ion flow in neuronal calcium channels, helping to regulate neuronal nitric oxideproduction.

In magnesium deficiency, neuronal requirements for magnesium may not be met, causing neuronal damage which could manifest as depression. Magnesium treatment is hypothesized to be effective in treating major depression resulting from intraneuronal magnesium deficits.

These magnesium ion neuronal deficits may be induced by stress hormones, excessive dietary calcium as well as dietary deficiencies of magnesium.

Case histories are presented showing rapid recovery (less than 7 days) from major depression using 125–300 mg of magnesium (as glycinate and taurinate) with each meal and at bedtime. Magnesium was found usually effective for treatment of depression in general use.

Related and accompanying mental illnesses in these case histories including traumatic brain injury, headache, suicidal ideation, anxiety, irritability, insomnia, postpartum depression, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco abuse, hypersensitivity to calcium, short-term memory loss and IQ loss were also benefited.

Dietary deficiencies of magnesium, coupled with excess calcium and stress may cause many cases of other related symptoms including agitation, anxiety, irritability,confusion, asthenia, sleeplessness, headache, delirium, hallucinations and hyperexcitability, with each of these havingbeen previously documented.

The possibility that magnesium deficiency is the cause of most major depression and related mental health problems including IQ loss and addiction is enormously important to public health and is recommended for immediate further study. Fortifying refined grain and drinking water with biologically available

magnesium to pre-twentieth century levels is recommended.

PDF FILE HERE:-

Rapid recovery from major depression using magnesium treatment

This graphic is from a commercial site that sells magnesium and test for magnesium deficiency. However it has lots of good easily readable info. Well worth a read.

LINK:

MAGNESIUM The Power Mineral: Magnesium and Cardiology; Intracellular Diagnostics, Testing for Mineral Electrolytes in the Cell; Screening for Magnesium Deficiency

The question I guess is which magnesium is best and how much?

Another good link

MAGNESIUM The Power Mineral: Magnesium and Cardiology; Intracellular Diagnostics, Testing for Mineral Electrolytes in the Cell; Screening for Magnesium Deficiency

Treatment for major depression should include 200 to 300 mg of magnesium (preferably as magnesium taurinate) four times per day and restriction of dietary calcium, glutamate and asparate. Nutritionists may be able to treat patients with major depression more effectively than physiatrists and physiologists considering the role of magnesium in the brain.

Some excellent hints for horticultural (gardening) and farm animal use here-

maybe we do need a Garden & Farm sub forum.

Agricultural Epsom

Ah...a thread I can truly relate too.

No one thing seems to work for everybody but walking seems to be very good for a lot of people.

<-Thanks! Finally I have an actual proof for my excuse for all my pacing! (better a groove in the carpet and the yard than a meltdown anywhere!) I've been trying to explain it to those that love me for years that it helps keep me sane! (Well as sane as a paranoid delusional, bipolar person can be!)

A number of traditional therapists beleive that depression is the result of anger turned inwards
I believe it. It definitly doesn't help.

Originally Posted by arkain101 I know what its about. I pulled myself out of 'clinical depression' via the developement of Truth-Basic!!

I really do think most depressions this strong begin by the mind left unguided in tramatic experiences.

There are also brain disorders!

Although, what I experienced was next to death. I lost sight of emotions, and could not taste food. No day was without pain and sleep was out of the question.

I do stand here today with my symbolic fist in the air and hand held out, saying, There is always a light my friend you not only need to find it but you do need to turn it on. I did it! I know so many others can, however making it through lead me to a path of a strange kind of enlightenment.

Enlighten me...32 years of this crap has been more than enough....The drugs suck, the shrinks suck, and 360 days out of 365 pretty much suck ...what do I do first!?!?!

Bi-polar needs different treatment to clinical depression.

Have they tried you on Lithium?

Have you a counsellor and/or psychiatrist?

U.S. House Acts on Postpartum Depression

Congressional Attention Shows It's More than Just Baby Blues

ESSAY by JAMES POTASH, M.D.

Oct. 19, 2007

"It's horrible to say," said Christina*, reflecting on her depression following the birth of her first child, "but here I had this beautiful new baby, and I just didn't care about her. The feelings of love just weren't there. All I could think about was how meaningless everything seemed. I managed to feed her and change her, but that was about it."

Video

Battling Postpartum Depression

Stories like Christina's, unfortunately, are all too common -- a situation that has prompted the U.S. House of Representatives this week to authorize spending $3 million to pursue studies of postpartum depression and to carry out a national campaign to increase awareness of the issue.

. . .

Several studies have shown that postpartum depression runs in families.

. . .

found an increase in risk for postpartum mood symptoms in women with bipolar disorder who had a family history of these symptoms.

. . .

ABC News: Postpartum Depression Gets Notice on Hill

If I was a woman I would be very angry about this paltry amount given to research.

I would bet that per head of population Australia spends more than this on Postpartum Depression research.

I know St. John of God private hospital in Sydney (Burwood) has a special ward just for women suffering from this dreadful affliction.