Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

Still more If you can't follow the links let me know M»

Psychiatrist.com

<[email protected]> to me

More options 05:58 (15 hours ago)

10.04.06 From the desk of Sebastian . . .

Use of Treatment Algorithms for Depression Madhukar H. Trivedi, MD (Chair)

Depression continues to be challenging to manage, and treatment algorithms can help you decide which treatment strategies are appropriate for your patients. Read this commentary by our expert faculty and learn about the effectiveness of treatment algorithms as well as clinical recommendations for implementing them. This CME activity is free.

Commentaries offer expert discussions on hot topics of interest in your clinical practice.

Other free CME activities on depression are available, including the following:

General Medical Comorbidities and Pain in Depression Wayne J. Katon, MD and Ella Daly, MRCPsych

Psychopharmacology in Primary Care: Basic Principles Roger G. Kathol, MD

The State of Knowledge of Chronic Depression Alan J. Gelenberg, MD, et al.

Review of the Pharmacologic Management of Depression Michael E. Thase, MD (Chair)

For more free CME activities, visit the CME Homepage.

Sincerely,

Your MedFair concierge,

and the staff at MedFair.com

You are receiving this update as a benefit of your Net Society membership.

If you would not like to receive further E-Lerts, go to http://www.psychiatrist.com/elerts and click the "Unsubscribe from E-Lerts " link.

Physicians Postgraduate Press, Inc. | 3175 Lenox Park Blvd. | Ste. 409 | Memphis, TN 38115

Please do not reply directly to this e-mail.

If you cannot read this go to http://www.psychiatrist.com/elerts/cme100406/cme100406.htm

‹ Newer 14 of 733 Older ›

Get Google Mail on your mobile phone at http://m.gmail.com using your

Have a happy Depression Day October 5 ! :)

http://depression.about.com/cs/diagnosis/l/bldepscreenquiz.htm

rom Nancy Schimelpfening

If you think you may be depressed, but you feel anxious and unsure about where to seek help, National Depression Screening Day offers you a starting point. Locations all over the U.S. will be offering free depression screening, educational materials and referrals. The event is being held on October 5; but, if you miss it or can't get to one of the locations, our site also offers a free online screening tool to help you determine if you may be suffering from symptoms of depression.

In the Spotlight

National Depression Screening Day

National Depression Screening Day is an annual event held each October on the Thursday of Mental Illness Awareness Week. During this event..

Take an Online Screening Test

Do you think you may be suffering from clinical depression? This simple depression self test cannot replace an evaluation by a professional, but it can familiarize you with depression symptoms and give you an idea if you may meet the diagnostic criteria for clinical depression...read more

More Newsletters: To sign up for more free newsletters on What You Need to Know About your favorite topics, visit: http://talk.about.com

• 2 weeks later...

Brain waves predict depression meds

10/12/2006 8:35 AM

By: Ivanhoe Newswire

LOS ANGELES -- About 17 million Americans suffer depression, which is the fourth-leading cause of disability in this country. Antidepressants are effective treatments, but there's only a 30-percent chance patients will respond to the first drug they try. Now, there's a new way doctors can find out which treatment will work best for you.

Alone is how June Govinden has spent the last 10 years of her life, living in the fog of depression. "I really lost touch with friends and family," she said. "I did try to commit suicide. I felt as thought I was not a person worthy of being here."

Govinden tried taking antidepressants, but couldn't find one that helped. And with more than 20 drugs on the market, Govinden isn't alone.

Psychiatrist Andrew Leuchter, M.D., says not every antidepressant is going to work well for each individual. And the drugs that do work take a long time to work -- sometimes months.

Details at:-

http://rdu.news14.com/content/top_stories/default.asp?ArID=92367

Hypography Cures Depression ?????

Study: Internet of Long-Term Benefit to Depression

Professors Helen Christensen and Andrew Mackinnon and Dr Kathy Griffiths at the Centre for Mental Health Research (CMHR) at Australian National University have reported new research that shows that the Internet can often be as effective for treating depression as actual human contact.

http://depression.about.com/b/a/257647.htm

Suggested lead: About two-thirds of children with the most common form of infantile autism may actually have a treatable, genetically linked, early-onset form of severe depression. Tom Britt has more.

Recent research into genetic analysis, behavioral studies, brain chemistry and imaging analysis on autistic children seems to support the conclusion that many autistic children have an inherited disease that can be treated.

Duke University Medical Center pediatric neurologist Dr. Robert DeLong was the first to show that many autistic children showed a lack of seratonin in their brains, a classic marker of depression.

He also found that these children usually had a family member who suffered from depression or manic depression.

http://www.dukemednews.duke.edu/av/medminute.php?id=1480

Autism is such a heart-breaking disease in children.

It is facinating that they are linking it to Clinical Depression in adults

This, i think, links in with the thread MSG poisoning chain letter meme at

http://hypography.com/forums/medical-science/4781-msg-poisoning-chain-letter-meme.html?highlight=MSG+chain+letter+meme

The Role of the Glutamatergic System in the Pathophysiology and Treatment of Mood Disorders

Ben Kelmendi, BA, Aybala Saricicek, MD, and Gerard Sanacora, MD, PhD

Needs Assessment: Ample evidence suggests that the glutamatergic system is involved in the pathophysiology and treatment of mood disorders.

This article presents preclinical and clinical evidence suggesting that amino acid neurotransmitters may provide novel therapeutic targets for the treatment of mood disorders.

http://www.primarypsychiatry.com/aspx/articledetail.aspx?articleid=651

Going to war does not help

PTSD may emerge late in injured soldiers

By Michelle Rizzo

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Among battle-injured soldiers, the severity of their physical injuries is a significant predictor of the development of posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) or depression several months later, researchers report. Early psychiatric evaluations do not always identify those who will later develop these disorders.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=healthNews&storyID=2006-10-25T204114Z_01_KNE574406_RTRUKOC_0_US-PTSD-SOLDIERS.xml&WTmodLoc=NewsHome-C3-healthNews-3

And

for something totally different:-

Australian framers are having a bad time with depression now.

Australia is in the grip of the worst drought in European History.

Imagine you are the forth or fifth generation who has owned your 2,000+ acres of land. You get a good crop every 3-4 years.. . .

Now nothing.

I heard a distressed wife on the ABC radio the other day who checks that the Gun Cupboard is locked every day. She lives in fear.

Many men see that their jobs are themselves.

So if the job fails so do they.

Imagine being the fifth generation that had lost the farm.

Women are more practical. The family is what is important.

As one wife said "I want to grow old with this man"

I would hate to be a farmer.

I would not cope

Global warming?????

Suggested lead: About two-thirds of children with the most common form of infantile autism may actually have a treatable, genetically linked, early-onset form of severe depression. Tom Britt has more.

o.)

Recent research into genetic analysis, behavioral studies, brain chemistry and imaging analysis on autistic children seems to support the conclusion that many autistic children have an inherited disease that can be treated. Duke University Medical Center pediatric neurologist Dr. Robert DeLong was the first to show that many autistic children showed a lack of seratonin in their brains, a classic marker of depression. He also found that these children usually had a family member who suffered from depression or manic depression

http://dukemednews.duke.edu/av/medminute.php?id=1480

Low Testosterone levels cause depression

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005311766

Study Reveals Men's Protective Testosterone Levels Declining

All Headline News - USA

No causes, such as aging, obesity or smoking, could be attributed to the decline, according to the lead researcher, Thomas G. Travison, Ph.D., New England ...

Testosterone levels have been droping over the last twenty years.

No one knows why

I haven't had time to chech this out yet.

Can someone please check and let me know what you think?

INTERNET-BASED INTERVENTION FOR DEPRESSION (Health Report: 09/10/2006)

Mental health researchers at the Australian National University have

investigated internet-based interventions for depression.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/healthreport/stories/2006/1759746.htm

Testosterone levels have been droping over the last twenty years.

No one knows why

Actually, the reason is mind over matter. It is not coincidental that the lowered testosterone levels are running parallel to the feminization of men. If men act like women, their bodies will respond and lower their testosterone and increase their estrogen.

The rise in breast cancer may be due to the masculinization of women. Men do not need breasts so the female body is getting rid of them. This deduction is connected to the oriental women having the lowest levels of breast cancer. These are the most feminine women on earth and can bring out the man in a man.

Getting back to depression. If we look at the opposite, someone doing what they like to do is rarely depressed. One is happy and forfulled. If culture creates a world where one is not able to do their hearts desire there is a repression of one's full potential. Within this repression things like depression and degeneration will appear. Maybe the feminization of men and the masculinazation of women may be contributing to depression. It create a social expectation for people to be what they are not, so they are not able to run on all cyclinders.

Actually, the reason is mind over matter. It is not coincidental that the lowered testosterone levels are running parallel to the feminization of men. If men act like women, their bodies will respond and lower their testosterone and increase their estrogen.
So you disagree with virtually all biologists that Lamarckian Evolution has been effectively disproven? Is there any evidence you'd like to point to other than the rantings of certain ultra conservative religious leaders who think that women ought to stay in the kitchen and pregnant?

I'll have to say that even in California, there's scant evidence I can point to just from my own dating experience of the "feminization of men." Macho jerks are a dime a dozen, and I'd hardly pick them as good prospects for Eugenic Selection.

Hardly masculine,

Buffy

Your continued misogynic speculations without scientific support are worthy of nothing less than disrepute. Me thinks though doth protesteth too much.:wave:

You got to admit the timing for the correlation between the feminization of the culture and lower testosterone does seem to work.

Don't get me wrong, I do not believe that women need to ge back to the kitchen, barefoot and pregnant and men need to start hunting. I am saying men and women are different in very fundamental ways. That is why husband and wives don't always agree and why marriage is so much work, i.e, battle of the sexes. But the blending of men and women, rather than increasing the stability of the family has caused it to become more disrupted. It is sort of a paradox, in that although the differences are socially lowered and the result should be men and women getting along easier, the opposite is true, as indicatice of higher divorce rates.

I tend to believe that polarized male and females offer each other unique differences that complement each other. It is like two side of the same coin. When we remove these differences to make less distinction, they no longer seem to complement each other.

It has to do with the way the personality is organized. There are three layers to the human personality. The lowest layer is connected to our instinctive natures, i.e, reproductive. Men are male and women are female. The second level is cross sexual with men, feminine and women masculine. That is why the wife of often the boss in the relationship, since her perfectionists masculine side will dominate the moody female side of the male. She can play on his heart strings and make him squirm. In a gender neutral culture these are the only two layers that work most of the time. The females masciline side pushes for socially defined security and needs, while the male tries to regains its masculinity in bed.

In a sexual differentiated culture, a third and higher layer of the personality also kicks in. This is conneced to wisdom, intuition, common sense. Men have their own masculine spirit, while women have theirs. This is the glue that keeps marriages and families together. It is more unique to the individual rather than socially conditioned like the middle level of the personality. If culture was perfect the two levels may be adequit but a perfect culture that is not the case. Instead the female masculine side and male female side is told what to do by culture apart from their own common sense. With this higher level of feminine and masculine common sense, one is unique apart from culture and better able to deal with one's unique situation in life. It makes one an individual instead of a social herd animal with its one size fits all mentality.

If a female is too masculine and a male too feminine, they will never be able to access this higher level of the personality because they are using the wrong gender reference for it to become active.

Very mystical! Makes me wanna get my crystals out! Yin&Yang!

How'zat workin' for ya Hydro? I know there are still places in this world where this sort of attitude is popular, and its sad, mostly for the girls who have greater ambitions but are told that having a job will ruin their marriage or mess up their kids, but also for the guys who just don't take to sitting around on Thanksgiving day watching football and drinking beer. I will say that I agree with you at the very highest level that there's something to be said for finding a partner who complements you, but beyond that, you're stuck trying to make sense of supposedly ancient social practices that don't really make much sense in the modern world. In fact, the notion that human society has been exclusively patriarchal is not supported by the facts: very little of human history really looks very much like Father Knows Best, although there are those who wish it to be so for purposes of "keeping people in line."

I'll defend to the death your right to spout such drivel, but I'll still call it drivel and hostile drivel at that.

Brains by Mars, Body by Venus,

Buffy

The rise in breast cancer may be due to the masculinization of women. Men do not need breasts so the female body is getting rid of them.
Does this mean that the body has already learnt about masectomy, and considers it to be better than plain old atrophy?

I mean, we guys have the same glands and all, albeit not "triggered off". Try taking the pill, like the viados do.