Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

Biologists are having a new look at Lamarck....See thread "Darwin re-visited"
"Biologists" are always having "a new look at Lamarck". You've cited a single book in that thread that as Craig said, "is controversial". You quoted SJ Gould out of context, but a huge number of his essays concern two key topics:
  • How people keep trying to revive Lamarck because its so seductive (Hitler and Stalin were both big fans)
  • How specific claims of proof of Lamarckian processes are false

It also seems that you're confusing Lamarckian acquisition of traits with eugenics and hybridization. I'd have no problem with an argument that over multiple generations women who seek and obtain power might or might not survive "selection" of their superior intellectual genes, but just because an uppity girl decides to become a CEO is not going predispose her daughter to being genetically incapable of baking cakes.

I'll join you over in Darwin Revisited if you'd like to debate this point further.

Naturally curly hair,

Buffy

"Biologists" are always having "a new look at Lamarck". You've cited a single book in that thread that as Craig said, "is controversial". You quoted SJ Gould out of context, but a huge number of his essays concern two key topics:
I was referring to "The Dependent Gene", by a professor of psychology, Dr. David S Moore.
I think craig does not like Jeremy Rifkin? Some feel he is a science hack yet. I liked The Bio Tech Industry Craig I believe was basing his dislike on previous ecology books of Rifkin's

I find it hard to get my head around Lamarkian ideas too and if you read my earlier posts in this forum you would see that I made a similar comment as you above. I have come to believe everything about genetics is very much more complex than we think.
I can see how bacteria can operate under Lamarkian evolutionary ways but it is mach harder to get my/your head around higher organisms doing the same.
How people keep trying to revive Lamarck because its so seductive (Hitler and Stalin were both big fans)
How specific claims of proof of Lamarckian processes are false

It also seems that you're confusing Lamarckian acquisition of traits with eugenics and hybridization.

No I'm not.

I don't think it I seductive at all I find it logically dificult to comprehend.

I find "Natural Selection" seductive as it explains everthing very neatly.

I'd have no problem with an argument that over multiple generations women who seek and obtain power might or might not survive "selection" of their superior intellectual genes, but just because an uppity girl decides to become a CEO is not going predispose her daughter to being genetically incapable of baking cakes.

She (CEO mother) might pass on her more assertive?culture of famine traits though.

I'll join you over in Darwin Revisited if you'd like to debate this point further.

Great-everyone else has given up on me!

But i don't think I understand it enough to add any more than I have already posted. I am not a biologist You might be better off reading "The Dependent Gene" and explaining it back to me!

Naturally curly hair,

Buffy

Only had a perm once, never again.

• 2 weeks later...

SAD

This is a special form of depression Somehow dependent on light.

I think vitamin D levels might also be involved.

Seasonal affective disorder is easy to treat:-

Move to australia

Feeling SAD As the Days Grow Shorter?

From Nancy Schimelpfening,

Your Guide to Depression.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

It Could Be Seasonal Affective Disorder

Have you ever noticed how a gray, rainy day makes you feel gloomy and tired, but a sunny day can leave you feeling cheerful and energized? Well, there's a scientific reason for this. Insufficient exposure to sunlight has been associated with low levels of melatonin and serotonin, carbohydrate craving, weight gain, and sleep disturbance.

Some of you may have also noticed that you find a seasonal fluctuation in your moods, feeling depressed only in the winter months.

Take a look at your calendar and you'll soon see why. Each year on June 21 we experience the summer solstice, the longest day of the year.

With our longest hours of sunlight in the middle of summer it's no wonder we're happier this time of year.

After this date, however, the days progressively get shorter until the winter solstice on December 21, the shortest day.

http://depression.about.com/cs/sad/a/sad.htm?nl=1

SAD

This is a special form of depression Somehow dependent on light.

I think vitamin D levels might also be involved.

Seasonal affective disorder is easy to treat:-

Move to australia

Feeling SAD As the Days Grow Shorter?

http://depression.about.com/cs/sad/a/sad.htm?nl=1

See also Post #10 in the following:

http://hypography.com/forums/earth-science/7682-human-physiological-effects-weather-earth-environment.html

And also post #116 of this very thread! :)

• 4 weeks later...
...to treat hallucinatory issues that can occur in a diagnosis of Bipolar 1. ...should only be used with those with schizo-typical tendencies...

fluoxetine...should almost never be used in patients with a true bipolar disorder. Anti-depressants are linked with precipitating manias in otherwise stable patients.

I've recently had strong reinforcement about how important a personality type is with the symptoms of bipolar disorder. Some are very nasty, others very sweet, and it would appear that the bipolarity has very little to do with those things. Others have mixed states, which makes it relevant to this thread:

In the context of bipolar disorder, a mixed state is a condition during which symptoms of mania (or hypomania) and clinical depression occur simultaneously (for example, agitation, anxiety, fatigue, guilt, impulsiveness, insomnia, disturbances in appetite, irritability, morbid and/or suicidal ideation, panic, paranoia, psychosis, pressured speech, indecisiveness and rage).

In at least 1/3 of people with bipolar disorder, the entire attack—or a succession of attacks—occurs as a mixed episode.

Mixed states can be the most dangerous period of mood disorders, during which panic attacks, substance abuse, and suicide attempts increase greatly.

If I were to guess, I'd sense that they experience tremendous passion and happiness as well. What a rollercoaster, but I suppose one can't have positive without negative... :naughty:

This is the problem in a nutshell, if you'll forgive the pun! From the psychological point of view, depressed people are stuck in a box and need to think outside it. It's like Arkain said, you have to seek out the truth (light of understanding) and that means ditching preconceptions and hope aimed in a particular direction. The reason the depressed can't get out of their hole is that they won't let go of the logic and reasoning that got them in there in the first place.

It's not only like being stuck in a box, but the box might feel like it gets smaller all the time, and your thinking becomes short-circuited so that you have a hard time considering or even believing in new possibilities. It's hard to describe. When you're depressed, you think things which seem to make sense at that time, but then make no sense when viewed in hindsight. It's almost like experiencing two or more different people in yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
Biological

A family history of major affective disorders may exist in individuals with depressive disorders. Recently it has been found that the disease has a genetic marker, as shown by numerous studies that support the involvement of heredity in depressive illness.

Biochemical factors (e.g., electrolyte imbalances) appear to play a role in depressive illness.

An error in metabolism results in the transposition of sodium and potassium within the neuron. Another theory implicates the biogenic amines norepinephrine, dopamine, and serotonin.

The levels of these chemicals are deficient in individuals with depressive disorders.

Controversy remains as to whether these biochemical changes cause the depression or whether they are caused by the illness.

In recent years, a common form of major depression called seasonal affective disorder (SAD) has been identified.

Recurring each year, starting in fall or winter and ending in spring, the symptoms are largely typical of depression, with some atypical symptoms (excessive sleep, increased appetite, and weight gain). This disorder is believed to be caused by the decreased availability of sunlight and is related to circadian cycles, which are set by each individual’s internal biological clock. Circadian cycles are more precisely adjusted and coordinated by the alternation of darkness and light.

Impaired seratonergic transmission has also been investigated as a cause of depression (indolamine hypothesis).

It has been shown that multiple regions of the brain in depressed clients lack metabolic responsivity, suggesting a generalized subresponsivity of the serotonergic system.

Additionally, current research suggests that infection with the Borna disease virus (BDV) may be linked to some cases of major depression and other severe mood disorders

An interesting article on nursing and depression.

Nursing Care Plan: NCP Major Depression / Dysthymic Disorders

I noticed today a huge poster add by the railway for "Beyond Blue" the Australian Depression Support group/organisation.

maikeru

Quote:

It's not only like being stuck in a box,

Hang in there maikeru

You got to admit the timing for the correlation between the feminization of the culture and lower testosterone does seem to work.

I think that this is a very speculative hypothesis.

I think a better one would be linked to the changes in physical activity and obesity and changes in our eating habits, foods, and chemicals we're exposed to in the environment.

Testosterone is produced in higher levels when people exercise or are physically active, because it helps to promote tissue (especially muscle) repair and growth and modifies the metabolism. People are generally less active than they were decades ago, and it's well known that obesity is at an all-time high (with about 60-65% of Americans being overweight or obese). Fat produces estrogen and decreases the production of testosterone, so being overweight can affect the balance of testosterone and estrogen in both men and women. Thus, too much fat in men could increase estrogen levels and decrease testosterone levels.

Then also consider that several pesticides and chemicals used in the production of plastics, electronics, etc. may mimic hormones or disrupt the metabolism or function of the body, not just in people, but also in a wide variety of animals, including mice, frogs, snakes, and lizards. This often makes the evening news, with reports of "freakish" animals being found in local ponds and lakes, where pollution is high.

And our food, whether processed or derived from animals, are abundant in unhealthy fats (saturated and trans-fats) and cholesterol. These too affect hormone balance. Cholesterol is the "raw material" from which many sex hormones are made.

Every dawn is hope for a new day; every sunset, hope for another tomorrow. :)

Yes

Is the Glass Half-Full or Half-Empty?

but then the prettier the sunset the more the pollution ( please ignore me when I am in this mood)

I don't know about this research but am posting it here anyhow

New Zealand's source for health news on Stuff.co.nz

Studies have shown that negative experiences during infancy can alter brain chemistry. It is believed many adult disorders – such as depression, anxiety or attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder – start in childhood, and can be recognised as early as late infanthood or early toddlerhood.

Dr Guy said genes also play a key part on the child's development into adulthood.

"However, genetics unfold out within the context of the early care-giving environment."

New research also suggests a loving, supportive family can be enough to override a genetic vulnerability to depression.

In new findings, published in the journal Biological Psychiatry recently , investigators found that young adult gene carriers whose families were warm and supportive had a reduced risk of depression.

PS

Just catching up with my Holiday mail and found this from

The New England Journal of Medicine

from what I have read it is younger adolescent who are most at risk

Volume 355:2722-2723 December 28, 2006 Number 26

NEJM -- The Antidepressant Quandary -- Considering Suicide Risk When Treating Adolescent Depression

The Antidepressant Quandary — Considering Suicide Risk When Treating Adolescent Depression

Gregory E. Simon, M.D., M.P.H.

In March 2004, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a public health advisory regarding worsening depression and suicidal thoughts and behavior in patients treated with the newer antidepressant drugs fluoxetine (Prozac), sertraline (Zoloft), paroxetine (Paxil), fluvoxamine (Luvox), citalopram (Celexa), escitalopram (Lexapro), bupropion (Wellbutrin), venlafaxine (Effexor), nefazodone (Serzone), and mirtazapine (Remeron).

In February 2005, the agency extended the warning to include all antidepressant drugs.

This warning was prompted by analyses of data from placebo-controlled trials of antidepressants suggesting that the drugs were associated with an increased risk of suicidal behavior in children and adolescents.

Subsequent research leaves considerable uncertainty regarding this relationship. . . .

. . .

Fourth, regular follow-up is essential, and it will not happen by accident. Erratic follow-up care can undermine the effective management of many chronic illnesses, but the fatigue and hopelessness that define depression create additional barriers to effective treatment.

Given the high dropout rates seen in depression treatment, systematic identification of patients who are overdue for follow-up is essential. And given the nature of depression, active outreach will often be necessary.

Although we lack clear evidence that more frequent follow-up visits will reduce the risk of suicide, randomized trials involving adults clearly demonstrate that systematic follow-up increases the likelihood of recovery from depression.

. . .

Although the rates of antidepressant use have increased dramatically among both adults and adolescents during the past 20 years, the disappointing quality and outcomes of depression treatment have changed little.

Our treatment of depression is growing wider, but it is often only inches deep.

Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Evidence Basis for Treatment and Future Research in Psychiatry/JCP Abstracts December, 2006

Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Evidence Basis for Treatment and Future Research in Psychiatry

Marlene P. Freeman, M.D.et al

. . .

Conclusions: The preponderance of epidemiologic and tissue compositional studies supports a protective effect of omega-3 EFA intake, particularly eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), in mood disorders.

In the light of this, this claim is interesting.

Flax Seed for Omega-6 and Omega 3 fatty acids

As the most abundant plant source of omega-3 fatty acids, flaxseed helps restore balance and ... They are also antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.

Flax Seed for Omega-6 and Omega 3 fatty acids

• 3 weeks later...

This is a good site to explore.

Lots of interesting ideas and news about depression,

Father Suing School District Over Son's Suicide

including this

Father Suing School District Over Son's Suicide

Last month I made a post about a family who had filed a wrongful death suit against MIT for the suicide of their daughter.

It now seems that other parents are following suit, holding schools accountable for their children's suicides.

An Oregon television station filed a report on its website yesterday about Curtis Damm, the father of a Yamhill-Carlton High School senior who hanged himself in the family's barn two years ago.

Damm is suing the school district, alleging that his son, Cody Monks-Damm, was on suicide watch at the school and the school did not properly follow its own procedures or properly respond to an incident that allegedly triggered the suicide

Hope this leads to better Counselling Services in schools.

In Oz they are in very short supply or non-existent.

Although the PM (JH) wants to put a Chaplain in every school.

Very laudable, but trained Counsellors/Psychologists would be my first priority.

• 2 weeks later...

Despite Numerous Studies, Final Verdict Still Not In On St. John's Wort And Depression

Despite Numerous Studies, Final Verdict Still Not In On St. John's Wort And Depression

Main Category: Depression News

Article Date: 31 Jan 2007 - 13:00 PST

The best-known, most-studied herbal treatment for depression today is St. John's Wort. Also known as Hypericum Perforatum (its Latin name), it's a yellow flower that grows in warm to moderate climates, including the southeastern United States.

St John's Wort was never traditionally seen as an anti-depressant herb.

It was a wound herb. A herb for soldiers. A herb to stop death by infectious wounds. Perhaps it has some anti-bacterial or anti- viral activity that makes it effective for Depression.

Certainly taken with anti-depressants it is a double whammy.

If you are mildly depressed this is the way to go.

Hypothyroidism and Depression

Have you been feeling tired and depressed lately? Before you assume that you need an antidepressant, you might want to consider having your thyroid checked. Hypothyroidism, a disease in which the thyroid gland

...read more

Depression and Thyroid Disease

Web links featuring information on depression and the link to thyroid disease and hypothyroidism, depression as a sign of undertreated thyroid disease, ...

thyroid.about.com/cs/depression/ - 18k - Cached - Similar pages

Hypothyroidism and depression

DISCUSSION: The relationship between hypothyroidism and depression is well known. It is possible that this patient's long history of depression may have ...

Hypothyroidism and depression - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

Hypothyroidism – Home

Hypothyroidism Depression- General information about the cause of Hypothyroidism and the effects it can have.

Hypothyroidism – Home - 9k - Cached - Similar pages

A name has been formed for what you term as "clinical depression"

This is also known as "Bi-Polar dis-order .." and has great impact on ones life .. and it can be a debilitating disease if left un-diagnosed ..

No, check DSM-IV. Clinical depression (or unipolar depression) as has been accurately described above is a clinical entity in it's own right; however it can form part of the diagnostic criteria for manic-depression but is not the same thing. Equally, not all manics will suffer depressive episodes, or the "depression" manifests itself more as anxiety and paranoia rather than anhedonia... Equally as disabling as any down, just a different flavour.

And depression is not the same as being down, and can be totally disabling.

I need to have a good read of that Borna virus R/V; however I suspect it'll be like many of the psyc illnesses.. Multifactorial, with many roads leading to the same place. By the time it occurs infective causation is academic really, treatment is the key.

No, check DSM-IV. Clinical depression (or unipolar depression) as has been accurately described above is a clinical entity in it's own right; however it can form part of the diagnostic criteria for manic-depression but is not the same thing. Equally, not all manics will suffer depressive episodes, or the "depression" manifests itself more as anxiety and paranoia rather than anhedonia... Equally as disabling as any down, just a different flavour.

And depression is not the same as being down, and can be totally disabling.

I need to have a good read of that Borna virus R/V; however I suspect it'll be like many of the psyc illnesses.. Multifactorial, with many roads leading to the same place. By the time it occurs infective causation is academic really, treatment is the key.

A name has been formed for what you term as "clinical depression"

This is also known as "Bi-Polar dis-order .."

]Where did that quote come from?

I agree very different things. Possibly dangerous if treated in the same way as depression