Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

ill be honest with you i jumped from the first page to the last. because i wanted to respond instead of read. i hope that the answer i am looking for is not somewhere in those 8 pages just because i did not take the time to look.

i am depressed. clinically depressed. major depression. severely depressed.

my daily life consists of absolutely nothing. i wake up in the morning and then lie in bed trying to go back to sleep and i fall asleep and wake up again off and on and off and on untill i have to get up because my bladder is about to burst or just because i cant stand to lay in bed anymore. so i get up go to the bathroom grab a drink and go back to my room. i sit in front of a tv bored not really watching it. i lay down and try to get back to bed over and over again until i can actually fall asleep. and that is my life.

when i am not sleeping i am sitting being bored wishing that something would happen and thinking about what i can do. everytime i do get a good idea i think about it and realize that the idea was stupid.

i dont know what to do. i dont know how to do what i should do if i did have something to do. what can i do? does anybody have any advice?

somebody please help

i guess in a way what i am asking is how to get rid of the depression that i have.

right now i do not want to live. i wish i was dead, but i am emberassed to say that i do not have the guts to kill myself and i am ashamed of that. i have put a gun to my head but never pulled the trigger.

it really bugs me because i dont want to live but yet i dont want to die.

i dont know what to do.

how can i rid this nasty illness and break free into the greener grass?

help me someone please.

A person that is clinically depressed often finds it hard to do the simplest task. I understand that. But you probably also know that nothing is going to happen by itself. The most important thing you must do, is go to a psychiatrist or psychologist. If you can't make an appointment, ask a friend or family member to do it for you, and perhaps even to take you there.

Never lose hope.

the thing about it is that i know what i should do but i just cant force myself to do it.

i know what probably should or needs to be done but i cannot force myself to do those things.

There is lots you can do

First know that "this will pass"

Secondly make an appointment to see your doctor/healer whatever, to discuss how you are feeling

Thirdly try to read some of this thread and follow some of the links.

There are people you can ring if you feel desperate depending on where you are.

Is there a help number in the phone book?

Try googling 'depression help' for your country and see what you get.

Go for a long walk.

You will see from reading this thread there can be many causes of depression. Most need checking out medically.

There are also many ways of fixing it.

i guess in a way what i am asking is how to get rid of the depression that i have.

right now i do not want to live. i wish i was dead, but i am emberassed to say that i do not have the guts to kill myself and i am ashamed of that. i have put a gun to my head but never pulled the trigger.

it really bugs me because i dont want to live but yet i dont want to die.

i dont know what to do.

how can i rid this nasty illness and break free into the greener grass?

help me someone please.

These are scary thoughts, so you will feel stressed, anxious and tense. It there any activity you like that can disrupt your thinking-in -circles as you are doing now? Something that will stop you thinking scary thoughts. A distraction?

I hate people with bipolar and depression. Those people are idiots. They can't deal with putting anger outside toward others, and they can't correctly punish their own person. These people need to be locked up. Otherwise, they need to go into the military so they can figure out what to do with anger, regret, and depression. Or just get bent on destroying the world. Some people are sissies.

I hate people with bipolar and depression. Those people are idiots. They can't deal with putting anger outside toward others, and they can't correctly punish their own person. These people need to be locked up. Otherwise, they need to go into the military so they can figure out what to do with anger, regret, and depression. Or just get bent on destroying the world. Some people are sissies.

Then I guess you hate me and think I'm an idiot that should be locked up. I think you are very misinformed, and I suggest you read some of the excellent links provided by Michaelangelica in this thread.

St Francis was Assissi! To me it sounds like you are more depressed than he if you want to destroy the world but you have a point about acting out your fantasies. I can see why you'd want to join the military to vent your anger but depression? More perplexingly where does regret come into this? Surely regret is what you have after joining the army! I agree in principle with action to cure depression as exercise creates confidence. As for bipolar disease - Spike Milligan, the comedian was in the army when he came down with it. As I said in a previous posting in this thread, I believe mania wears you down and you end up crashing in depression (running on empty). It's a question of balance but creative people like him most probably wouldn't exist if they didn't bounce between these two opposing states.

ill be honest with you i jumped from the first page to the last. because i wanted to respond instead of read. i hope that the answer i am looking for is not somewhere in those 8 pages just because i did not take the time to look.

i am depressed. clinically depressed. major depression. severely depressed.

my daily life consists of absolutely nothing. i wake up in the morning and then lie in bed trying to go back to sleep and i fall asleep and wake up again off and on and off and on untill i have to get up because my bladder is about to burst or just because i cant stand to lay in bed anymore. so i get up go to the bathroom grab a drink and go back to my room. i sit in front of a tv bored not really watching it. i lay down and try to get back to bed over and over again until i can actually fall asleep. and that is my life.

when i am not sleeping i am sitting being bored wishing that something would happen and thinking about what i can do. everytime i do get a good idea i think about it and realize that the idea was stupid.

i dont know what to do. i dont know how to do what i should do if i did have something to do. what can i do? does anybody have any advice?

somebody please help

Sounds like you're lost in deep thought about something or are totally drained (running on empty). As for not having the guts to kill yourself - violence is actually the cowards way out (death is easy - living is hard). Exercise will create confidence in you through generating energy, like a dynamo (I like walking for this reason as it gets me out of myself but it doesn't require being sociable). Biohazard is right to a degree and from the sound of it you are aware of this too. It's not a question of killing yourself but facing your inner demons and doing what you feel you have to in life, no matter what other people around you (family, friends, colleagues, neighbours)think. Suicide is backing away from our destiny rather than grasping the nettle and getting on with it. It's like political correctness - people want to be popular, rather than doing the right thing, so end up avoiding reality and their true feelings about things and maybe that is the case with you. Deep thought leads to long lasting effect when you do act, so it may not be a bad thing you're in but the predecessor of something create as everything requires a planning stage and that means being isolated and alone as making that plan work, requires sociability to connect and make a dream reality (We take thingsapart to understand them [and that can include us] and put them back together again to make them work). You might also like to look at my poll on being a lone wolf or a pack animal.

A depression quiz

I'l do it and let you know if it works!

http://www.abc.net.au/health/depression/default.htm

Although I've already been diagnosed with bipolar disorder by several medical professionals and I'm taking various medications, I also took the quiz. Judge for yourself what my result reveals about the accuracy of the quiz:

"Your score is: 49

The likelihood that you have major or clinical depression is high.

You should see a trained health professional to confirm the diagnosis and discuss what treatment might be best for you. Some people with depression begin to feel that nothing will make them feel better. This is an expected feeling when you are depressed. You need to talk with someone about how depression is treated today and learn more about the large number of people like yourself who have recovered.

The CESD or Center for Epidemiologic Studies Depression Scale was developed in the late 1970s and has been completed by thousands of individuals in medical settings and studies. The CESD is designed to find individuals who have major or clinical depression. Almost 85 per cent of those found to have depression after an in-depth structured interview with a psychiatrist will have a high score on the CES-Depression Scale.

On the other hand, about 20 per cent of those who score high on the scale will have their symptoms resolve quickly and not turn out to have major or clinical depression. Anyone who has a high score on the CESD should discuss their symptoms with a health professional they trust within two weeks, or earlier if necessary. Deciding to seek care is not easy because people frequently feel depression will go away on its own. But delaying treatment can be dangerous and help is available.

Please note: You should not take this score to represent a mental disorder diagnosis. Always consult with a trained mental health professional if you are experiencing depressive feelings or difficulties in your daily life that cause you anxiety or worry."

Although I've already been diagnosed with bipolar disorder by several medical professionals and I'm taking various medications, I also took the quiz. Judge for yourself what my result reveals about the accuracy of the quiz:

"Your score is: 49

I wouldn't panic.

I think it is a super sensitive test.

It is also easy to fool

Then again, you had the answer before you started?

http://www.elpasotimes.com/living/ci_4115404

Implanted device helps fight drug-resistant depression

Giving new hope

Bernadette Sedillos Self / El Paso Times

Dr. Angel M. Rodriguez-Chevres holds a device that stimulates the vagus nerve and has been approved for treatment of severe, chronic depression. The device is implanted under the skin below a patient's arm and has a thin wire that travels to the vagus nerve. Rodriguez-Chevres will be trying the treatment on an El Paso woman. (Mark Lambie / El Paso Times)

See link above for rest of article.

Wow that's lengthy! :eek2: :lol: Anyway, somewhere is this thread or another Al said depression is anger without enthusiasm and/or depression is anger without motivation. Accepting that premise, and the further premise that depression is something to be corrected, one must either remove the anger, remove the lack of enthusiasm/motivation, or both.

On the enthusiasm/motivation side, I am surprised to have seen no pharmocological discussion of amphetamines. Well not surprised really. I read about it in a book one time & asked the doc about it....he nearly flipped out! Said something to the effect (loudly enough for the nurse to hear) no pschiatrist in his right mind would prescribe a schedule? (schedule something; he was speaking for her to understand not me) drug for depression. I'm like dude...chill! I read about it in a book!

Anyway, where's the amphetamine data? I'm in a hurry!:eek2: :hihi: Nur kaffe fur mich danke.:cup:

Anyway, where's the amphetamine data? I'm in a hurry!:eek2: :hihi: Nur kaffe fur mich danke.:eek2:

http://www.reachout.com.au/default.asp?ti=52

Taking amphetamines regularly may have longer-term affects, these may be:

* Sleeping problems

* Anxiety

* Depression

* Confusion (feeling 'scattered ' all the time)

* Chronic paranoia

* Psychosis

http://www.druginfo.adf.org.au/article.asp?ContentID=amphetamines

Withdrawal

If a person who is dependent on amphetamines suddenly stops taking it, they will experience withdrawal symptoms, because their body has to readjust to functioning without the drug.

Amphetamine withdrawal symptoms may include hunger, extreme fatigue, anxiety, irritability and depression. People may also have a long but restless sleep, often interrupted by nightmares. Some experience severe distress or feelings of panic.

I am depressed. Before taking the Depression Quiz I was a happy, secure, balanced individual. Now I learn that I appear to be suffering from moderate depressive symptoms, commonly associated with depressive disorders.Oh, how depressing.

I hate to think what score I would have got had I taken the test when I was feeling down.