Science Forums

Depression (Clinical)

I think the key to aging without getting "old" is to keep active - physically and mentally.

I wonder if pilates would be as effective as yoga in treating depression because it's also supposed to be a joining of the mind and body. It seems that more people are doing pilates these days rather than yoga.

how are they different?

A nice story on TV last night about a young teenager overcoming depression

The 7.30 Report - ABC

how are they different?

Basically pilates is just about stretching, strengthing and toning, and yoga adds in some meditation and spiritual stuff.

Yoga is based on the Eastern idea of moving energy through your body. The more freely the energy flows, the healthier and more energetic you feel. Physical tension hinders the flow; over time, areas of tension in your body can become tight and rigid, even painful. The goal of yoga is to keep the body supple through movement and stretching. But there's another dimension. Yoga is a holistic spiritual discipline with its roots in Eastern forms of meditation. The physical postures, although they condition the body, are really aimed at the mind. They symbolize the goal of living your life in a state of balance and composure.

Pilates on the other hand is physical conditioning first and foremost -- and there's nothing quite like it. Its creator, Joseph Pilates, was looking for a way to rehabilitate injured soldiers after World War I. He developed an assortment of curious machines with names like the "Reformer" and the "Cadillac." Using cables and trolleys and unusual body positioning, Pilates exercises stretch and strengthen and are unique in their ability to encourage coordination between the muscles that stabilize the body.

Pilates techniques quickly became a hit with dancers, who found them a highly effective way to improve body awareness and alignment and promote graceful, fluid motion. Machine-based Pilates actually has more in common with weight training than with yoga since it involves moving against resistance (provided by springs) with the aim of overloading the muscles. In particular it resembles functional strength exercises such as squats or cable pulls. There's also a new form of Pilates, the Pilates mat class, which relies more on callisthenic-style exercises and stretches. This form is physically more similar to a yoga class though the emphasis is still on physical change rather than on spiritual development through postures and breathing.

Yoga Vs. Pilates

A nice story on TV last night about a young teenager overcoming depression

The 7.30 Report - ABC

That was interesting. The power of the mind is incredible and perhaps a treatment for depression is activity and finding something for the person to engage in. It might be difficult because generally people who are depressed have little or no care for anything, but finding something they're the least bit interested in could provide the cure. My husband has had many bouts of depression over the years, usually brought on by periods of inactivity. He currently works full-time and studies part-time and has not been depressed since he's been this busy.

great last posts..

The problem w/ most people getting old is that older people usually don't stretch regulary.

( Flexibility is a main component of fitness, often overlooked. in case you weren't a fitness trainer telling people this :sherlock: )

And that ill-flexibility results into a downward spiral of range of motion and more risk of injury and inability to do things.

If you ever wonder why those old Chinese kung-fu masters are so great, is becuz' they are very limber!

How does flexibility relate to depression?

I dunno', but I just read the last couple posts.

But I will add that doing stretching is much like quick meditation.

Be quiet, hold the stretch, breathe slowly, and relax...

:turtle:

If you ever wonder why those old Chinese kung-fu masters are so great, is becuz' they are very limber!

How does flexibility relate to depression?

I dunno', but I just read the last couple posts.

Something about it helps with release... it helps to bring blood and energy to regions which are somehow dormant.

I don't have empirical evidence to support my point, I just know that I haven't stretched in over a year and my mind has suffered.

PS: I am really glad to see you, Racoon, teaching again here on Hypo. Be well.

• 3 weeks later...
Serotonin Levels Related to Sense of Fairness

If life feels unfair, your serotonin levels may have something to do with that perception, say scientists.

Serotonin Levels Related to Sense of Fairness

How to Get Free or Low-Cost Treatment for Depression

From Nancy Schimelpfening,

Your Guide to Depression.

FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by Steven Gans, MD

Perhaps the only thing worse than depression is having depression and not being able to afford treatment. I

Free Depression Treatment - Free and Low Cost Depression Treatment

Hi,

I am new to this depression thing. I am feeling really spacey/foggy since being on meds for over a month now. Does this go away? Is it part of depression ? Or will all meds make me feel this way. Also sounds are more intense. Please help since I don't want to feel llike this forever.

Thanks for your input

Depression

• 2 weeks later...
St. John's wort flavonoids and their metabolites show antidepressant activity and accumulate in brain after multiple oral doses.

Posted:

Related Articles

St. John's wort flavonoids and their metabolites show antidepressant activity and accumulate in brain after multiple oral doses.

Pharmazie. 2008 Apr;63(4):296-302

Authors: Paulke A, Nöldner M, Schubert-Zsilavecz M, Wurglics M

Over the last few years many data have been published suggesting a participation of quercetin flavonoids in the antidepressive effect of St. John's wort (SJW) extract.

To elucidate these data more deeply we performed two animal behavioural studies examining the antidepressant effects of SJW extract, rutin and, in addition, the quercetin metabolite isorhamnetin.

The substances were in all cases compared to imipramine using Porsolt's forced swimming test (FST) after oral gavage of the substances over a 9 day period. All three compounds were found to be effective, with isorhamnetin exhibiting the strongest effect.

In addition to this pharmacological study, we carried out two pharmacokinetic studies to examine the CNS level time-curve of the quercetin flavonoids after a single oral dose of SJW extract (1600 mg/kg) and isoquercitrin (100 mg/kg), respectively, and to observe the cumulative effects after daily repeated oral doses of SJW extract over 8 days.

After a single dose the maximal CNS levels for quercetin (340 ng/g) and isorhamnetin/tamarixetin (50 ng/g) were found at 4 h. With repeated doses the maximal cumulation for quercetin (367 ng/g) occurred after 5 days whilst isorhamnetin/tamarixetin (640 ng/g) did not reach its maximal cumulation level within the 8 day test period.

PMID: 18468390 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Translation

They still don't know what specific chemical helps depression from SJW.

In the meantime you can buy a tea from Greek shops for $3 against $50.00 for an anti-depressant.

I suspect there may be some anti-bacterial or anti-viral activity that no one has looked at yet.

Some personal observations

STW is a declared noxious weed in most of Australia. It is rampant in many parts of Oz.

It is fascinating to hold a leaf up to the sun.

It is sprinkled with little clear dots (The oil). Like a church stained-glass window.(hence the botanic name "perforatum" like little perforations in the leaves.

The oil was used in past times as an antiseptic for soldier's wounds.

An infusion of the leaves was made with another oil (olive etc) turning the carrier oil red.

The young maid stole through the cottage door,

And blushed as she sought the plant of pow'r -

"Thou silver glow-worm, O lend me thy light,

I must gather the mystic St John's-wort tonight,

The wonderful herb, whose leaf will decide

If the coming year shall make me a bride."

An old German poem; quoted in Hone, ibid

Feast day of the Nativity of St John the Baptist

(St John's wort, Hypericum pulchrum, is today's plant, dedicated to this saint.)

Of course the Christians took over Pagan festivals and attributed the power of herbs to God and the Saints.

Hypericin is produced by St. John's wort in special spherical glands. When a leaf is held up to sunlight, scores of these scattered glands appear like tiny translucent (yellowish) windows, which Linnaeus recognized as being like perforations (perforatum). In Europe, this plant character was treated by practitioners of the Doctrine of Signatures as a sign from God that the plant was to be used as a cure for punctures or cuts in the skin. Herbal medicine still recommends hypericin oil for cuts. When the yellow petal is crushed, the hypericin turns red, as if the plant is bleeding--another indication in folk medicine for using this plant to treat wounds.

The photodynamic hypericin is a fluorescent pigment that, when purified, is red in acid and green in a base. It is also stable when dried or heated, so it remains active when consumed as dry tablets, dry or liquid capsules, or even in hot drinks. Hypericin, which has been studied in laboratories for 150 years, is a napthodianthrone derivative that readily enters the bloodstream and is not broken down in the liver.

This compound absorbs sun energy, and when it is fully oxidized turns black in plant tissues. Old leaves, but particularly flower petals and even the apex of each anther, possess the blackened form of these glands.

St. John's wort and hypericin have been used for treating a very long list of human maladies, too extensive even to list here. Need a sedative, a mild pain-killer, a treatment for diarrhea, something to soothe hemorrhoids or settle your stomach? Over the years, H. perforatum has been prescribed by herbalists for all of these. More recently, St. John's wort has been heavily promoted as an antidepressant and an anxiety treatment, and its reputation for controlling mild depression has been bolstered by a number scientific studies

duke's data base - Google Search

Duke has an astonosing list of chemicals found in the plant

Farmacy Query

EG

QUERCETIN Plant: DUKE1992A

11B-HSD-Inhibitor CPT59:62 ; 5-Lipoxygenase-Inhibitor IC50 (uM)=4; Allelochemic IC82=1 mM 438 ; Allergenic JBH ; Analgesic FT63(3):197 ; Antiaflatoxin IC50=25 uM X11714299 IC50=7.5 ppm X11714299 ; Antiaggregant 30 uM JAF45:4505 IC50=55 uM EMP5:333 ; Antiaging PM69:1125 ; Antiallergic IC50=14 uM JIM127:546 ; Antialzheimeran COX ; Antianaphylactic PR4(5):201 ; Antiangiogenic EJP459:255 ;Antibacterial JBH ; Anticarcinomic (Breast) IC50=1.5 uM MED ; Anticariogenic ID50=120 ug/ml JAF48:5666 ; Anticataract PM56(3):258 ; Anticolitic 400 mg/man/3x/day PAM ; Anticomplementary JNP65:1457 ; AntiCrohn's PAM ; Anticystitic 1,000 mg/day/4 weeks X11272677 ; Antidepressant JMF6:391

• 1 month later...

Omega-3 Fats During Pregnancy Provide an Alternative to Anti-Depressant Drugs

* Whole flax seed appears first among the actual food sources with 22,813 milligrams per 100 grams –- far above the others.

* Surprisingly high on the list we find familiar spices like clove (4,279), oregano (4,180), marjoram (3,230), and tarragon (2,955). Other spices offering more than 1 gram in 100 grams of mass include: Spearmint (2,792); yellow mustard seed (2,680); basil (1509); saffron (1,248); sage (1,230); rosemary (1076), and bay leaf (1050). Of course, we do not use these in large quantities, but we see how they can add more than flavor to our meals.

• 2 weeks later...

The most effective treatment is a walk in the woods.

Yes, I would have said so too.

(As have a lot of posts on this thread).

But this study seems to be saying something different

Voluntary Exercise Does Not Appear To Alleviate Anxiety And Depression

ScienceDaily (Aug. 7, 2008) — Voluntary physical activity does not appear to cause a reduction in anxiety and depression, but exercise and mood may be associated through a common genetic factor, according to a new article.

Yes, I would have said so too.

(As have a lot of posts on this thread).

But this study seems to be saying something different

Some people like to exercise because it clears their minds and gives them something else to focus on. Then they can get back to the problem with hopefully a new perspective. But if the causes of the anxiety/depression are not being address or if solutions are not being found then exercise is only a bandaid.

The effects of animals:

Whether it’s a nuzzle of their wet nose, a game of fetch or a walk around the block, spending time with our pets can make us feel better, calmer and even happier. Indeed, studies suggest that people with pets experience both emotional and physical benefits (Barker, 1999).

But can time spent with an animal truly translate into a meaningful, healing experience? That’s the goal of equine-assisted psychotherapy (EAP), an increasingly popular experiential treatment where individuals interact with horses in a variety of activities, including grooming, feeding, walking and equine games, for improving their psychological health. Both a licensed therapist and horse professional conduct EAP.

According to the Equine Assisted Growth and Learning Association, EAP is used to treat “behavioral issues, attention deficit disorder, substance abuse, eating disorders, abuse issues, depression, anxiety, relationship problems and communication needs.”

Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy: Healing Therapy or Just Hype? - Psych Central

Banana Facts

By Living Life Abundantly ~ July 28th, 2008 @ 10:16 am

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting…After reading this, you’ll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.

No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes.

But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit.

It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

FROM

Banana Facts | Living Life Abundantly

Banana Facts

By Living Life Abundantly ~ July 28th, 2008 @ 10:16 am

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!

This is interesting…After reading this, you’ll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout.

No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world’s leading athletes.

But energy isn’t the only way a banana can help us keep fit.

It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

FROM

Banana Facts | Living Life Abundantly

• 3 weeks later...
]Antidepressants Need New Nerve Cells To Be Effective, Researchers Find[/color]

ScienceDaily (Aug. 30, 2008) — Researchers at UT Southwestern Medical Center have discovered in mice that the brain must create new nerve cells for either exercise or antidepressants to reduce depression-like behavior.

Antidepressants Need New Nerve Cells To Be Effective, Researchers Find

So if you drink alcohol like a fish and kill billions of the little blighters- does that mean you're stuffed?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Psychiatric, Psychological and Emotional Aspects of Thyroid Disease i.e. it’s not all in your head!

It’s a common scenario for hypothyroid patients, especially when you are undiagnosed due to your doctor’s over-reliance on a faulty TSH range, or treated with thyroxine T4-only medications: You go to the doctor; you complain about your depression, or your anxiety, or your emotional swings, or your inability to concentrate, and onto your doctor’s favorite anti-depressant, anti-anxietal, lithium, or bi-polar med you go—beginning with the freebies on the shelf from his friendly and suited pharmaceutical rep. Sound familiar??

But the problem with this scenario is that your depression or anxiety or other mental health problem is not a unique and unrelated illness. It’s most likely due to having a low free T3, the active thyroid hormone, and/or adrenal insufficiency. And this is especially common for patients treated with Synthroid, Levoxyl and other thyroxine medications.

. . .

What’s the solution?

If you recognize any of the mental health issues mentioned above–or even have friends or family members who have been trying to point these out to you—find a doctor who will test your free T3, plus antibodies. If you find your free T3 below mid-range, or if you have an autoimmune attack going on against your thyroid (which will make labs useless since you vascillate between hypo and hyper), you need to discuss the addition of Cytomel (synthetic T3) to your current thyroxine medication. There is a growing body of doctors and researchers who are using T3 as an adjunct to anti-depressive therapy, since improving your T3 levels can raise brain levels of the neurotransmitters serotonin and norepinephrine to the optimal level they need to be.

Even better, according the experience of many, is switching to desiccated thyroid, which gives you the entire complement your own thyroid would be giving you—T4, T3, T2, T1 and calcitonin. There are numerous testimonies of patients ridding themselves of chronic depression and other emotional problems when they dosed high enough with desiccated thyroid to put their free T3 towards the top of the range. (SEE LINK BELOW)

If you find that your free T3 is high or above range, yet you continue to have mental health issues, the missing piece in your puzzle may be your adrenals. Click here for adrenal information.

Thyroid, Depression and Mental Health | Stop The Thyroid Madness