Science Forums

I want World Peace. Yes/No?

InfiniteNow

I want World Peace. Yes/No?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I want World Peace. Yes/No?

The only way to not take life is to not be alive. If you are alive, you destroy. We should attempt to destroy as little as possible, especially human life.

That reminds me of Jainism.

Jainism's stance on nonviolence goes far beyond vegetarianism. Jains refuse food obtained with unnecessary cruelty. Many are vegan due to the violence of modern dairy farms, and others exclude root vegetables from their diets in order to preserve the lives of the plants from which they eat.[6] Potatoes, garlic and onions in particular are avoided by Jains.[7] Devout Jains do not eat, drink, or travel after sunset.

My definition of peace does not include non-human entities.

As far as we are able to ascertain, no other creature on this planet is capable of conceptualizing peace. Nature is in a constant state of flux, which includes strife. Obviously, there is no way to exist "peacefully" on Earth, given the strictest definition of the word "peace".

That does not impede desire though. :phones:

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one

I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will live as one" - John Lennon

World Peace is attainable if you surgically remove the R-complex from each and every human being on Planet Earth, and arrange it genetically that their offspring don't grow new ones. This might be a bit hard to achieve.

Therefore, hoping for World Peace is about as fruitful as hoping for breathing water. A nice fantasy, but physically impossible due to who and what we are.

A man made evolutionary trait.

Wouldnt be long before cats ruled the world though, would it? :P

A man made evolutionary trait.

Wouldnt be long before cats ruled the world though, would it? :xparty:

Whaddaya mean "before cats rule the world"?

Cats are, in fact, in control of planet Earth. They simply use humans as handy slaves to tend to their every need. And every now and then they rip a mouse or little bird to pieces as a not-very-subtle warning to humans to step in line and get their act together.

We should rise up and take our planet back from these evil bastards.

The only way to not take life is to not be alive. If you are alive, you destroy. We should attempt to destroy as little as possible, especially human life.

My cousin Johnny Appleseed once threw away one of his shoes to punish his foot for stepping on a earthworm. :tree: Dude was whack. :wave2:

Freezy is right about fruitarians. Eating only the fleshy fruit, they kill nothing in the vein as of eating seeds, whole plants, or meat. At least that is their spiel. :xparty:

I vote yes for whirled peas. :earth:

Deal! I won't trample on you if you lend me the same courtesy.

Cats are, in fact, in control of planet Earth. They simply use humans as handy slaves to tend to their every need. And every now and then they rip a mouse or little bird to pieces as a not-very-subtle warning to humans to step in line and get their act together.

:eek_big: I love you man!!!!!!! :phone:

wooooh!!!! I can see my hands! wooooooooooooooooowwwwww! duuude!

Animals bite people because they are afraid of them.

Another broad brush, one might even suspect a roller, you paint with. :phones: Many animals bite people to eat them. Many more animals bite people to protect themselves, their territory, offspring, or other animals.

Of course, your direct object is easily misundertaken and perhaps you mean to say that only when a person is afraid will an animal bite that person. Mother Bear will kill you no matter your state of fear unless you stop her. :evil:

I don't want world peace (hypocrisy) I want honesty and this is it. Does this mean I go out every night busting people in the mouth? No, quite the opposite but I know how the world works and every time I get angry about other people getting angry, then there is no moral high ground, just the start of conflict, even if it's only in my own mind. World peace that doesn't occur naturally (foisted on others) is hypocrisy and suppression. Creativity needs freedom and that does lead to outer conflict because people are afraid of change (letting go of certainty and sanity, and grasping the nettle of the new (birth is painful - staying in the womb of conformity(your comfort zone) is not). Returning to childhood and becoming a learner again (a Stranger in a Strange Land)frightens everybody because it means you are vulnerable (open and afraid) rather than smug and superior (certain of everything). You want to know the cause of violence, whether individual or social - well this is it.

I'm sorry (really) about the detail and explanations in brackets but hopefully this clarifies points that some people may not understand (If you don't like it and find it confusing, sue me)

If you truly want world peace then do nothing. All the problems of the world are caused by people who can't resist the urge to interfere in what they do not understand and this leads to the chaos you call war (or internal conflict for the individual): In the words of a book title 'Don't just do something - sit there!' (Learn)or 'Leave your Mind Alone' (James Thurber)*. Think of a puddle - stir up trouble and you muddy the waters of perception - allow things to settle and the truth is revealed in all its crystal clarity, for everyone to see the truth.

'Wanting' is striving and peace is allowance/ acceptance, which is just letting things be what they are, without effort on your part. Peace is doing nothing in other words and conflict motion/ emotion.

Still, even me saying that is adding to the problem and really achieving nothing either - so I'll leave you alone and abandon this infinite thread until inspired to interrupt again, myself.

* Even Hitler just wanted a little peace ("A little peace of Italy, a little piece of France.." Mel Brooks 'To be or not to be')

:thumbs_up

Your right! I will get on it just as soon as I am done with my nap.

If you truly want world peace then do nothing.

All the problems of the world are caused by people who can't resist the urge to interfere in what they do not understand and this leads to the chaos you call war (or internal conflict for the individual): In the words of a book title 'Don't just do something - sit there!' (Learn)or 'Leave your Mind Alone' (James Thurber)*. Think of a puddle - stir up trouble and you muddy the waters of perception - allow things to settle and the truth is revealed in all its crystal clarity, for everyone to see the truth.

'Wanting' is striving and peace is allowance/ acceptance, which is just letting things be what they are, without effort on your part. Peace is doing nothing in other words and conflict motion/ emotion.

(Hey PTO, I have to disagree with you slightly here. If you TRULY want to achieve world peace you have to participate. Generally, people don't declare war on other people. Governments do that on our behalf, whether we agree or not. So the general population of the planet achieves WAR without doing anything.

If you want to achieve PEACE you have to get up and do something simple. Put the last page of my document into a window, of your home and/or office. Encourage others to do the same, and we'll achieve something spectacular. The philosophy is available, the manpower is available, the resource is available... is the self belief?)

Peacemaker.

Hello Peacemaker,

I have to agree with you on this when you say,

If you TRULY want to achieve world peace you have to participate. Generally' date=' people don't declare war on other people. Governments do that on our behalf, whether we agree or not. So the general population of the planet achieves WAR without doing anything.

[/quote']

As I have grown older, I have found war around us, and with us, And no one ever came up to me and asked me if I thought it was a good idea to go to war. I went on a road trip, and when I got where I was going we had invaded the FALKLAND ISLANDS I'm not sure how we got into that one, but I know Uncle Sam had a a good reason to be there.

But as to this.

If you want to achieve PEACE you have to get up and do something simple. Put the last page of my document into a window' date=' of your home and/or office. Encourage others to do the same, and we'll achieve something spectacular. The philosophy is available, the manpower is available, the resource is available... is the self belief?)

Peacemaker. [/quote']

I Don't think pasting flyer's will bring World Peace,

any more then painting all of the buildings in the World Pink would! :thumbs_up

The path to world peace begins at home.....with the attitudes of individuals; and then is instilled within the family unit; and then is established within the community; and then is solidified in the region; and then becomes the policy of our nation; and then hopefully, in time, is shared among nations.

Pre-emptive, unilateral, militarism as policy engenders fear, anger, resentment, hatred, vengence, retaliation and war. Aggression such as this is not a path to peace at any level from an individual to a nation because it doesn't involve understanding or consideration. Posing aggression as defense does not alter reality or the inevitable response. True defense of an individual, community, region or nation is warranted, but aggression leads to violence.

The path to peace begins with the attitudes of individuals.

This is why InfiniteNow begs the question at hand.

I had a pacifist neighbor who I debated gun control with. She did not understand my position. Had one of those "visualize world peace" bumper stickers, took part in peace activist stuff.... was really into it.

Then she became a victim of a violent crime.

Long story short, she had her own firearm in possession within a week.

Promote peace all you feel you need to, but dont leave yourself defenseless should the predators amongst us, rear their head.

The best of the predators look just like everyone else. They always sign on the dotted line. They always tell ya what you want to hear.

Hi Cedars,

I can understand the feelings of mistrust for mankind which you currently hold. I hold exactly the same fears, currently.

I would be prepared to wager a weeks wages that the root cause of this woman's assault was either financial or sexual. It almost always is... and what a shame it happened to someone who supported love and peace so blatantly.

I see your story, not as a reason to keep weapons and warfare, but as a very good example as to why we should get rid of the root causes of these occurrences very quickly. Let's give her the gift of peace of mind, so she can get rid of the gun once and for all.

Best regards,

Peacemaker

The dog analogy wasn't mine to begin with, I just ran with it.

Someone was saying the other day that they used to think humans were inherently good, but not anymore.

I would say that the majority of the human race would be inherently good if they didn't think that humans were inherently bad. Its the idea that someone is going take advantage of you. Of course they are! They think you are going to take advantage of them! And you say that you haven't done anything to convey the idea that you want to take advantage of someone? Your leaders have!

My leaders don't speak for me. War creates opportunity, so they are in the business of war, and business is good. Competition creates opportunity. Conflict creates opportunity. So are we just opportunists? Looking to get ours before someone else does? What about the opportunities that would arise if humans weren't enemies? Its like the parts of a cell attacking each other.

And in the long run, I think we can all agree, nothing good will come of it. Eventually, we will either destroy ourselves, OR a national entity will become powerful enough to quell all those who oppose it. Think long run here.

I Don't think pasting flyer's will bring World Peace,

any more then painting all of the buildings in the World Pink would! :shrug.

Hi Doug, glad to see you're still sticking with this type of thread. I believe that so long as we keep discussing it, that we demonstrate enough open mindedness for the philisophy to germinate.

As to the poster in the window idea, my thinking is that if enough people do this, people who have never considered world peace will start talking about it, and thinking about it as a real possibility, rather than as some abstract concept which would be 'nice but not possible'.

Wouldn't it be nice to offer mankind hope, instead of despair for the future?

Find the faith Doug, and keep it in your heart.

All the best...

Peacemaker.

i find that the best way to inspire a peaceful mindset in the people around you is by always displaying it. be calm when others are frustrated, be helpful when others are ignorant, give people the benefit of the doubt...

at times you will be taken advantage of by adopting this philosophy, but a realistic sense of karma will leave you content with the knowledge that with honesty and positive thinking, these people's true colors will become vivid to all who observe. they will be forced to purify their actions, or face the cold of loneliness.