Science Forums

I want World Peace. Yes/No?

InfiniteNow

I want World Peace. Yes/No?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I want World Peace. Yes/No?

Sorry but this is naive in the extreme - nothing wrong it with just that it ignores how the world works and always has. Also life is change and you might get it but like tree rings, you'll also get its opposite at some time: Hindu trinity of create, preserve & destroy. WWI, WWII, etc.

War is the attempt to suppress this natural flow of change, which only ensures it carries on longer. War has led to material change in some directions but then so has peace - what about the industrial revolution, where the enemy was (as always) ignorance? In peace time we trade and exchange - during war we steal, kill and rape the resources of others.

• 2 months later...
What if we used all the resources used during war for prolonging human life?

I'm tired of people saying peace won't work. It won't work if they don't think it will.

If we prolonged life, wouldn't we have more war? After all, it seems reasonable to assume that part of the increase in our tendency toward war is the increase in population, competition for increasingly limited resources, and an oveall increase in unfulfilled lives. It's amazing what a lack of general well-being can do to one's psyche, and how our interactions with our neighbors change as a result.

Also, one could argue that human nature is war-like, that our ability to compete and triumph over those external to our group has evolved within us as a successful trait when spreading offspring. This might imply that prolonging human life would increase the frequency war, since war is an inherent tendency. Just think of the immune system. Were it not for the wars within us attacking the foreign invaders we would never have survived long enough to have children. This then extends macroscopically, and we start increasing the set which is defined by the label of "enemy."

I've noticed your religiotendencies here, ISEM, and while I applaud your desire for something better, it simply must be rooted in something real.

To your second point, you are right. It won't happen if we choose not to pursue it, so stick with that. That's the seed crystal. Make it contagious.

Enjoy. :)

I hope to see nations eventually dissolving so we become one big nation, The United Nations of Planet Earth :) Then we will be getting somewhere

One Earth. One system. I think it should be like that. Though the 'getting somewhere' can have many meanings or options...

I made this not very long ago:

Earthopian

Jet2

Note: I think this well be attainable after we find life outside of our world,

we well have to start looking at people (other lifeforms) for who / what they are and not the pettier racisms that is to abundant now.

Originally Posted by DougF

Yeah and we'll be too busy bombing them to bomb eachother!!!!!!! (and or getting bombed by them!!!) :esmoking:

(Hopefully I'll be totally bombed!!!):eek:

Okay, voted no.

Because I the only options I can think of for "world peace" are where the cure is worse than the disease.

1) Overmind or Borg or Something (Childhood's End)

2) Military Enforcement of Peace

3) Total Homogeneity of Culture and Opinions

4) Everyone's Dead.

5) Everyone's Stoned.

Even in "Star Trek" which has utterly eliminated crimes of property - there is unlimited free energy and no scarcity - there is still conflict over ideology, or actions, or personality. - even with "The Federation"

I'm afraid that fighting with each other is sort of the natural state of Human Beings, and without it, we'd lose something essential. Conflict breeds creativity.

On other hand, I think we can and should eliminate large scale proxy violence. Say - the US toppling the government of countries full of brown people at the behest of oil companies. (And no, I'm not talking about Iraq.)

TFS

'For some reason, when I think about world peace, i mostly think about poverty in third world countries, all of the rape and violence happening in countries like Sudan, and injustices that we all turn a blind eye to. I don't think that there will ever be a time when countries won't fight with each other over this and that, or when the world will be totally peaceful, but even just putting an end to the many big problems in the world today would make me feel more peaceful.'

Hello Wondering,

I feel I can help you with your quest. I have come up with an evolutionary idea which will very quickly, mentally catapult humanity on a very short journey from hell on earth to heaven on earth, just by changing the rules we live by, and changing the way we humans, as the most evolved species, in some ways, in the known universe, percieve each other. I have posted a thread on this subject, please check out my threads and see if you can agree with me that the idea I put forward is infinitely achievable, and that we should get it started as soon as possible.

What this plan proposes is better for humanity than any offer made to humanity by any other 'deities' of our past, or present.

I guarantee that if you listen to me, for a few weeks, as a species, I will change the way this world is run, for the betterment of our race, and our planet.

You may think that this is a hoax, I wouldn't blame you in the slightest if you totally ignored this as the ravings of a madman and went on with your life.

It is not a hoax. I have come up with key elements to change the values of our society such that we will very quickly come to a global agreement that what I envisage enshrines the absolute right of every human child born on this planet to their share of our resources and of our global love and companionship for their natural lives.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who wishes to help.

Best regards to all,

Peacemaker

Yes! I want world peace. I won't get world peace. As a species we're nowhere close to it. :clock:

But I want world peace, if for no other reason than there would be a lot less killing going on. I don't want to be killed. I don't think anyone else does either. If world peace leads to less or even no killing, wouldn't it make sense to want such a thing?

To me, world peace isn't about having a so called "perfect society." That's impossible! There will always be conflict, disagreements, biggotry, and so on. And we are destined to make mistakes. I've always understood that we have an oppotunity to learn more from our mistakes than from our successes. It's a way in which we grow and mature (at least some of us).

But for me the question is: Can we as a species learn to deal with our problems and resolve our conflicts without killing each other?

I believe it is possible. If this were achieved around the world, than in my estimation, we would have world peace.

And all of you who like to sound so gung-ho about war, recognize that you all have something else in common.....you're not fighting in one. Go spend a few rounds on the front line and then come talk to us about how great war is.

Granted, in the past war has hastened technological development. But if we continue to see that as a primary motivator it will only lead to our utter distruction, and then what good is all that technology. I could come up with hundreds of positive and constructive motivators for the continual development of technology. Let's start with environmentally conscious energy consumption.

As I see it, world peace would be a wonderful thing to experience. I hope my grandchildren get a taste of it.

DFINITLYDISTRUBD, you are just trying to sweet talk me,

The only reason some of the roudier members don't come to blows is they can't physically get each other through the wire!!!!!!

Things get a little heated around here from time to time' date=' Hell Even I got hot once here, But only once, (I didn't like the carpet being pulled out from underneath me) so I stop before I go over the edge.

now there are one or two here that can't see the edge do to the steam of Battle, and come very close to said edge, but get physically, I DO NOT THINK SO, for we not cavemen; we are in search of much more then this, and I for one value you opinion, even if I do not agree with you (as in this situation).

What you talking about?!?!?! There's all kinds of trouble makers here including ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your not a trouble maker. (Stirring the pot is not the same as making trouble.)

your Friend DougF.