Science Forums

I want World Peace. Yes/No?

InfiniteNow

I want World Peace. Yes/No?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. I want World Peace. Yes/No?

definitely no, the only way to achieve world peace is when all animal and plant life is gone.

Sounds like you're a member of The Dead Planets Society - the only good life is a dead life form (If it moves, kill it brigade). Life produces life - death produces death. If you can't trust yourself or anyone else and only see bad in the world, then that negativity leads to death - yours or racially (pograms/ holocausts): As Ramsey Macdonald said "War isn't murder, it's suicide". If you're critical of life and want to give up on it, then the only alternative is death. In fact you become Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Vlad Dracula, Ghengis Khan etc (See Judge Death in 2000ad comics, for 'moral perfectionism' "All are judged wanting - imperfect").

Laugh or die at life's grim joke. Have hope or give in to nope (despair - refusing to go on trying).

Whats the point about fighting all the time!

Has anyone every noticed that the main reason for

warring is RELIGION? Please some one, explain to me

why we're wasting our time fighting about some thing

un-important, when we have people to help.

I find a lot of irony in your statement.

Religion is "the main reason for warring," not helping people. It's quite a generalization. Many religious organizations, worldwide, are involved in helping people, while governments go to war.

Religion can be a catalyst, but war is ultimately about money, power, and control.

Sounds like you're a member of The Dead Planets Society - the only good life is a dead life form (If it moves, kill it brigade). Life produces life - death produces death. If you can't trust yourself or anyone else and only see bad in the world, then that negativity leads to death - yours or racially (pograms/ holocausts): As Ramsey Macdonald said "War isn't murder, it's suicide". If you're critical of life and want to give up on it, then the only alternative is death. In fact you become Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Vlad Dracula, Ghengis Khan etc (See Judge Death in 2000ad comics, for 'moral perfectionism' "All are judged wanting - imperfect").

Laugh or die at life's grim joke. Have hope or give in to nope (despair - refusing to go on trying).

not really, my point is that as long as something is living, it needs to kill something else to continue to live. So there will never truly be world peace.

not really, my point is that as long as something is living, it needs to kill something else to continue to live. So there will never truly be world peace.

So how many people have you killed in order for you to continue to live?

Or are you suggesting that world peace evaporates the moment you swat a fly? :confused:

Religion can be a catalyst, but war is ultimately about money, power, and control.

And organized religion isn't?? :confused:

Ultimately, yes. You are correct. My bad. :)

My basic point is that is isn't typically religion that goes to war, it's governments that do. And yes, I will agree that in many instances, it's governments that are driven by their sense of religious exceptionalism.....all of which includes money, power, and control.

Life produces life - death produces death.

You forgot two death produces life and life produces death...Everything dies either on it's own or with help...AND everything benefits from death. Bacteria and other critters eat dead (and/or living) things then poo which gets eaten by bacteria making nutriciuos soil for plants to obtain nourishment from...which provide nourishment (death for the plant) for critters which die or get eaten by other critters (which either die or get eaten) starting the whole cycle over again. No matter how you slice it death is and will always be part of life.

I think that World Peace is a highly philosophical issue.

Hi Alexander,

Congratulations for at least trying to consider all sides of the argument for world peace. Your thinking is still a little primitive, and you're not really seeing the full picture. I will try to elucidate. (In brackets).

'On one hand, war's don't solve anything, and tend to carry a lot of death, destruction, misery, fatigue, also they tend to cost lots of money, and all because of politics or religion.'

(But mostly, because of money and power. What you have to realise, Alexander, is that all modern wars have not been started by citizens. All modern wars have been started by governments and/or despots. They are 'political' decisions based on expediency. They are almost never started by the will of the people, unlike terrorism or gang fighting.)

'While i do not support the killing of innocent people at the hands of self-proclaimed justice leaders who think that their view is better for the people.'

(I'm glad to hear you don't support the killing of innocent people, because almost everybody on a battlefield is exactly that. They didn't start the war, most of them don't even agree with the aims of the war. They are ordinary people, brought together by circumstances beyond their control. As to self proclaimed justice leaders, apart from the most notorious terrorist figures, who else can you name who fits this desription and starts wars?)

' I think war is stupid and should not happen, arguing and conflicts will always be, physical means do not solve problems, they escalate them. Anger never helps the problem and drives the war, grief drives anger, war drives grief, its a vicious cycle that is only escaped once the rock bottom is hit, war's like drugs, once you get in it, its almost impossible to get out without loosing something... '

(I agree)

' But then there is another side of it. War, first and foremost drives economy. Look back to the world wars, people in the US were buying war stocks, look at what happened to the private sector at WWII, when any company able to produce war goods, produced them; with every war, you need munitions, arms, transportation and most of all, food rations, all of which drives economies of the countries at war (or their suppliers).'

(So on the one hand, you have business making obscene amounts of money, paying a pittance to workers, who have to work overtime to afford 'luxuries', like enough food to eat. Whilst on the other hand you have the relatives of the poor, who, after the volunteers dry up are conscripted, forced into uniform and brainwashed into hating the governments chosen 'enemy'. The rich and their offspring tend not to be conscripted. They get themselves into reserved occupations, allowing them to stay at home and profit from the blood of their (usually poorer and less educated) countrymen.

Study the machinations of the American government, Listen to Michael Moore. His documentaries offer the most truth about how things REALLY are today.)

' Also war takes care of the population control of the region, and although i dont agree with methods, it does a darn good job at it.'

(WHAT?) That's all I'm gonna say about that.))

' Finally, wars are not faught by the brightest people out there, every war many soldiers on the frontier can't answer a simple question or what they are fighting for, and yet battle and battle again they put their lives on the line for somebody else's ideas that they may not even agree with.'

(OK Alexander, so what is their alternative, once they are in that position? If they desert, they are shot or jailed. If they refuse to soldier, they are shot for mutiny, or jailed. People develop a strange set of rules during wartime. Killing is seen as 'good' and sensitivity is seen as weakness. Soldiers bond more with their comrades, due to the unique shared experiences of war, than they can ever bond with civilians. In war, the rules change.)

' So let the stupid people kill themselves, and we will finally live in a civilized society... '

(For 'stupid people', read ordinary people, like you, and me.)

'leave it here for now, lets see what people think ;)

'

(I think people in America should tune in to more foreign news channels, and switch off CNN (That's if they are allowed to view them). It may give them a wider World view.)

Best regards,

Peacemaker.

'No matter how you slice it death is and will always be part of life.'

Deep DD...very deep. Fortunately it doesn't mean that we have to arrange mass killings prematurely and indiscriminately. War can stop without firing a shot, if the people truly want it to!

'Orrabest!

I'm for no more war, acccording to the last polls so's most of America....But that Butthead in the white house to listen!

• 3 months later...
The path to world peace begins at home.....with the attitudes of individuals; and then is instilled within the family unit; and then is established within the community; and then is solidified in the region; and then becomes the policy of our nation; and then hopefully, in time, is shared among nations.

Absolutely a valid and accurate comment. I would like to thank you for reminding me of in this other thread discussing empathy, where palmtreepathos shared these two excellent links:

Roots of Empathy -- Welcome

Roots of Empathy Video Material

The second one is a short 9 minute video, and really illuminates just how easy and practical it is to implement simple changes and receive a huge impact. It's clever, and logical, and I feel the lessons being shared are of great significance.

Pre-emptive, unilateral, militarism as policy engenders fear, anger, resentment, hatred, vengence, retaliation and war. Aggression such as this is not a path to peace at any level from an individual to a nation because it doesn't involve understanding or consideration. Posing aggression as defense does not alter reality or the inevitable response. True defense of an individual, community, region or nation is warranted, but aggression leads to violence.

The path to peace begins with the attitudes of individuals.

...And the destination arrives when those same individuals form a critical mass and compose larger percentages of society itself.