Science Forums

What is the purpose of life.

Rebiu

That is a decision you will have to make for yourself. God will forgive you. The question will be, when the veil of ignorance is removed and you see the full extent of the hurt you have caused, will you be able to forgive yourself?

Shouldnt be a problem. Cool, guess Im going to heaven then.

Im not ignorant of the hurt Ive caused, I just dont care.

What God is it that you are refering to? how or where do you get this information? to come to your conclusions about Gods nature. since you dont believe in God from the biblical standpoint, i was just curious as to how you were forming the basis for your conclusions.

What God is it that you are refering to? how or where do you get this information? to come to your conclusions about Gods nature. since you dont believe in God from the biblical standpoint, i was just curious as to how you were forming the basis for your conclusions.

Which bible are you refering to? God, by various names, is refered to in every major scripture. The only true information any of us can receive about God, comes from within ourselves. One then compares that against the descriptions of God expressed by our ancestors. The God I know revealed Himself to me as having characteristic elements from all the world's scriptures, including science. The ancients did not know God as well as we do today.

In the bible humans were to be given charge of creation. This may be the purpose of life. Life evolved to where it created something, i.e., humans, that can extend nature beyond natural selective evolution. Human get involved in the selection process to speed up the process. We don't have to wait for mutations to improve dogs, we pick something we like and breed things in the direction we want. We are also beginning to experiment with altering the DNA to cut out millions of years of slow boat evolution in only a couple of days of directed modifications. Humans are the source of future intelligent design.

Alterego:

Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, a good understanding have they that do his commandments, His praise endureth forever"- King David
Bull. It's the beginning of distorting one's thought processes and the second guessing of what God wants us to do/ be like. And someone is always there helping us to determine what that is.
I'm referring to the God you believe in. My claim to understanding His nature is as sound as anyone elses. And your guess is as good as mine.

Our purpose, the only one that makes sense to me, is to strive to understand existence. If God exists, then by definition I will eventually understand Him.

Awareness is the hallmark of life. Isn't it just possible that 'to perceive and comprehend' happens to be 'the purpose' of life?

I am of the opinion that this is definitely not an esoteric subject. If perception and comprehension is our fundamental purpose as a life form, then it might just follow that the basis of morality is that which provides a methodology for determining the nature of existence. That connects the search for truth with nobility and provides a standard of good. And that means that lying is perhaps the most evil thing one can do.

Well, if you define 'goodness' as truth, of course youll think lieing is evil. Its not. Wever someone believes a lie or not makes no diffrence, a moral action is always moral and an immoral action is always immoral. Morality is a matter of action, not thought or belief. Since the only thing we are accountable for is our actions, only thoseactions which preserve our ability to act autonomously count as moral, since only such actions make further moral behaviour possible. similaly, actions aimed at reducing my autonomy are immoral, since they would limit my ability to act morally. Truth and lies are just words.

Well, if you define 'goodness' as truth, of course youll think lieing is evil. Its not. Wever someone believes a lie or not makes no diffrence, a moral action is always moral and an immoral action is always immoral. Morality is a matter of action, not thought or belief. Since the only thing we are accountable for is our actions, only thoseactions which preserve our ability to act autonomously count as moral, since only such actions make further moral behaviour possible. similaly, actions aimed at reducing my autonomy are immoral, since they would limit my ability to act morally. Truth and lies are just words.
And you are using words, Pan. They are either accurately describing something or they are not. Inaccurate descriptions hold no value to anyone. Only the accurate ones are meaningful.

For what purpose? What purspose does the Source have for these memories? Is the act of living and experinceing itself the purpose of life?

We are the Source, the collective experience of each Cosmic cycle. In the End, memory, all the sweat the bood and the tears, the triumphs and the loving, that is all we have. God is the silent witness behind every life. Each contribution is imprinted on the Akashic Records. We watch re-runs of each person's soap opera and re-live each breath through eternity.

I think the thing is you have to ask the creator of life to find its purpose. If we could talk to god he could tell us why he created us, but since we cant talk to him and we dont even know if he exists then we will never know our purpose till we are dead. Hilarious isnt it? You wont know the purpose of life till you've already lived it.

And before i get flamed i personally do not know if god exists and frankly i dont think anyone else does. You are sure he exists, positive that he exists, but there is no way in hell that you can know he exists unless you have died and come back to life which has not and probably will not ever happen in our lifetimes. Thats the thing about faith. Its faith not knowledge which makes religion a very hard subject of study merely because there are no laws in religion. I am not saying there are no laws within religions i am talking about religion in general as in religion: the set of beliefs that you personally agree with pertaining to a god or gods and sets of laws from that god or gods.

Do we know god exists? No.

Are we sure god exists? Most of us on the planet are.

If god created life, the universe, and everything then does he know the purpose of it? He better well have the purpose of it cuz he freakin created it.

He made us and everything for a reason and since he is the one that made us only he can tell us why. Think about it. When we build a computer, it must be programmed for it to realize what its purpose is. What it is supposed to do in its existence. Only we the creators can tell it what its purpose is. It cannot figure out its own purpose. The same as we individually may be able to figure out our purpose, but as a whole, the entire population of humans has no idea what its purpose is. You individually may know your purpose but The whole human race as an entity has no idea where it is going, what it is doing, or for what purpose it is doing what it is. Until god comes down from heaven at the time of Revelation or whatever, we will never have any idea what our purpose is simply because we are not the creator and we dont even understand all of the universe yet.

Those are just my opinions. Feel free to sway them at any time.:shrug:

IMAMONKEY!

Perhaps life does have no purpose.

Some theories very openly point at the thing that life as we have it today has originated due to a series of coincidences and chances.

I mean why not, since nature (Or our universe) has had 9000,000,000 years to do it.(I'm not sure of that 9*10^9 figure for now, I might wanna check it later)

Seriously, If this is true, then we are living in a world(universe) where nothing happened for a reason. The universe may just BE as it is, and the reason that we see it like this because if it would be some other way, we would not be here to see it at all!(This line I've not thought of myself, I admit)