Science Forums

What is the purpose of life.

Rebiu

I consider myself Gods superior. I am pure to the core, I have no tatters of guilt and shame hanging off me. I have never done anything that I didnt feel was necessary, so naturally I regret nothing that I have done. Likewise, I dont feel the consequences of my future actions because I know 100% that I will do whatever is necessary to avoid them. If it cant be done, well, no point being 'upset' about it. Likewise, any 'baggage', any childhood molestations, or adulthood rapes, why bother to think about something thats in the past? I dont waste any time thinking about 'might-have-beens'. By your reasoning, do I qualify for heaven or hell?

If those shameful acts were perpertrated on you I am deeply sorry. From a karmic point of view, you have either cancelled out a previous life debt or paying for the karma of someone else. Thus balance is restored or you have a credit waiting for you. The Akashic Records are meticulously kept.

Everything ultimately qualifies for Heaven for all is Go(o)d. If you feel good you are good. Personally I only feel really good after I have been of assistence to someone in need - even if I just assist a stranded bee inside the window by feeding it some sugar water. I do not feel that is a social indoctrination - it just makes me feel good about myself. Alternatively I feel awful after engaging in a bitter argument with someone. I think good/bad, god/devil distort our ideas of morality. I prefer the Taoist concept of yin/yang and try to see everything in the dynamic of positive and negative polarities - good deeds cancel out bad ones - and in that way try to keep my balance and see the world in the same light.

You contradict yourself, I think. You begin by discussing selflessness (without offering any examples of it) and conclude by suggesting all actions are ultimately selfish, which would mean we are in agreement.

In a sense, replying to you in this conversation is a selfless act. I am trying to share a profound hard-won revelation of my own - with no sense within me that should you accept or reject it, you or I owe each other anything. So, yes, essentially, regarding the relative nature of human actions, we are in agreement.

Everything ultimately qualifies for Heaven for all is Go(o)d. If you feel good you are good. Personally I only feel really good after I have been of assistence to someone in need - even if I just assist a stranded bee inside the window by feeding it some sugar water.

What if I only feel good when I hurt someone, or 'win' over another? Would that make my actions good? If I found a stranded bee, Id prolly make a mini flame-thrower out of some hairspray and a lighter.

What if I only feel good when I hurt someone, or 'win' over another? Would that make my actions good? If I found a stranded bee, Id prolly make a mini flame-thrower out of some hairspray and a lighter.

Those same teenage questions were thrown at Socrates twenty five centuries ago. He believed that man is intrinsically Go(o)d. So did all the other great sages. Of course you are entirely at liberty to refute them. I certainly did, when I was younger. Like cigarettes and alchohol, it made me feel sophisticated and superior. I also shot lions and elephants as a big game hunter in Africa and gloated over my trophies. But I outgrew that pseudo-intellectual phase. I am a simple old man now. God forgives those ignorant youthful trespasses. I am not so sure that I have fully forgiven myself yet. When I see my grandchild pull the wings off a fly, he sees me wince, so i tell him it hurts - me and the fly. His empathy follows immediately and now he even caresses bushes and rocks.