Science Forums

What is the purpose of life.

Rebiu

The gray in the beard does not start at 42... Like some cosmic hair dye sits dormant and is only brought out after 42 revolutions around the sun. I don't even know where to begin with that comment. :)

I have lived all around the world. The United States is the only place that I have seen so many young men with prematurely gray hair. Though gray, it is invariably thick and luxurious. I have a theory (ha ha) that it possibly because of an ancestral mix with Red Indian blood.

Anyhow to get back on thread.

Man has an instinct to congregate in herds and socialize.

What is the purpose of life?

The purpose of life??? hmmm, well i think one of the cool things about this perplexity, is that were given that choice thru free will, to choose our path or purpose in life. now while i might not be able to give you a definite answer, i can at least quote from one who i believe does. "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind "- Jesus. this is my path, actually more like a goal that i fail miserably, on a daily basis, those detours and distractions sometimes get the best of me on the way, but i always manage to pick myself up and get back on the path. :confused:

If th purpose of your life is to serve another, what is the purpose of the service? Why does god want you to obey him?

Good question Panjandrum, well i dont want to pretend to know the mind of God, that being said, i think God wants us to obey him, much like our parents

wanted us as children to obey them, and i think its to help develope, and give us direction. its my belief that the time domain that we presently reside in is but a vapor in contrast to eternity, theres are to many things in life for me to assume that this is it, and that there is no afterlife. i believe after we die, there will be a new set of rules that apply. but not in the sense of dont do this dont do that, but more like we wont be subjected to a time continuum that causes us to age. i truly believe the party is going to be in Heaven, you have to remember that God being eternal/unfathomable, creator of things like sex, laughter, and the mind, i think he has allot more in store for us, and a whole eternity to examine micro biology or explore the heavens. :hihi:

If th purpose of your life is to serve another, what is the purpose of the service? Why does god want you to obey him?

Children take. Adults give. One receives more personal growth and gratifiction in giving service rather than being waited upon.

God is within you. Its that little voice inside that insists you conduct yourself ethically. When you die it is your owneself that sits in judgment on the way you conduct your life. It is you who decides that you need more painful discipline or not. The more self-less serivice you have given to others, the more lenient you will be with yourself. If we all conducted ourselves that way, the world would be a nicer place - Heaven would be here and now.

Why does god want you to obey him?

The rules created that were said to be by god, that are to be obeyed are nothing more than the middle ground explanation of the treatment an individual would expect, whether they were originated from and by god or not. That is not important, it is not to obey, it is wisdom for you, a suggestion for a less troubled life that in turn creates a life with more positive growth.

People say that morality is subjective and relative. The morals are NOT what is written on the paper, they do not come from the law on the paper, they are not made in order to be obeyed.

Morals are our own inner selves. We are a moral. We would like to be treated in the way we like to treat ourselves, and treating yourself or any other person different that these ways can be a problematic hurtful situation.

How else can I put it. Morals originated inside of us. The writing of morals is the extension and symbolic form of the inner self which appears to have a blue printed pure morality.

So how do you know if we are being imoral? Dont look in a book or the words of tradition, put yourself in the shoes of the recipients, even if it is yourself, and decide if it is an negetive, hurtful, or some kind of wrenching on the natural state of yourself.

I think you know what I mean. In a much more simple way, dont do something that you would not like done to yourself, at least without acknowledging the fact you have done such an act.

Children take. Adults give. One receives more personal growth and gratifiction in giving service rather than being waited upon.
:)

the analogy that i was trying to draft is that one is subordinate to the other, and the term serve is also, in the case of God, to give reverence to. now when it comes to God, i dont believe because i think its a good philosophy or makes me feel good inside.

God is within you. Its that little voice inside that insists you conduct yourself ethically. When you die it is your owneself that sits in judgment on the way you conduct your life. It is you who decides that you need more painful discipline or not. The more self-less serivice you have given to others, the more lenient you will be with yourself. If we all conducted ourselves that way, the world would be a nicer place - Heaven would be here and now.

i believe because the God of the bible has stood the test of time, the bible has been supported by archaeology, manuscript evidence, mathematical probability when it comes to prophecy, probability of life in (astronomy, & biology ), fossil records that support the genisis account of the flood, and the internal and external writings that give creedance to people, and places. there are many that like to lead us to believe that having faith in God is like commiting intellectual suicide, i find the opposite to hold true, "faith in God isnt a blind faith, its academic"- C. Missler .

If God is at the end of the pursuit of truth, so be it. But we aren't there yet. Why do you require that belief prior to discovering the nature of existence?

Are you afraid if you don't believe in Him, he'd get upset?

We are born with the ability to try and identify the truth in all things. That makes us different from all other species we are aware of. IF we are God's creations, it is NOT a requirement that we 'believe' in HIM and it would seem to be counter to what the intent behind our nature would be.

We need to find out what the true nature of existence is and to do that we must follow the best within ourselves, our rationality.

Look to the reason behind your need to believe in God and if it is fear, look to the nature of that fear and to the nature of the God that fear implies.

Could such a God actually create this universe? Would He actually go to all that trouble just to punish us at some future date for not second-guessing the correct 'path'?

So, it would seem way more logical that we should NOT believe in Him until such time as we can communicate directly with Him in his own language and prove his existence by listening to His answer. To do so prior to it actually making sense would just piss Him off.

In other words, let's focus on the rest of the Universe first. Leave God till last. That's how He'd want it.

If God is at the end of the pursuit of truth, so be it. But we aren't there yet. Why do you require that belief prior to discovering the nature of existence?

God is both the beginning and the end of the pursuit of Truth.

There are many paths each one of us can choose ( or are born to take)

In the yoga of the Kharma Sutra the path is through sex.

In Hatha the path is through dance.

In Raja the path is through courage.

In Bhakti the path is through Love

In Kriya the path is through visual arts

in Jnani the path is through the intellect. (Science)

The path most dear to God is that of the householder

If the ideal of God (Go(o)dness)is in the fore the motivation remains constant.

One should always be aware of the displeasure of God. He never gets upset, for He is eternally forgiving.

We are born with the ability to try and identify the truth in all things. That makes us different from all other species we are aware of. IF we are God's creations, it is NOT a requirement that we 'believe' in HIM and it would seem to be counter to what the intent behind our nature would be.

The separation from God was a natural action resulting from the Big Bang. Maximun separation has led to atheism. The return to Grace is also automatic as the universe contracts again. Consumation is what ecstacy is all about.

We need to find out what the true nature of existence is and to do that we must follow the best within ourselves, our rationality.

True. But rationality is only one path. Others can have different propensities.

Look to the reason behind your need to believe in God and if it is fear, look to the nature of that fear and to the nature of the God that fear implies.

It is the weaknesses within oneself that one must fear. God is the standard of goddness against which we must measure those weaknesses. Without that Absolute standard, at what height should we set the bar?

Could such a God actually create this universe? Would He actually go to all that trouble just to punish us at some future date for not second-guessing the correct 'path'?

The Cosmic cycle from singularity back to singularity is set. The random element allows for the delight of surpise in each cycle. Punishment is self-inflicted - when we feel (on the dreathbed) within ourselves that we have failed to meet the standard. God never punishes.

So, it would seem way more logical that we should NOT believe in Him until such time as we can communicate directly with Him in his own language and prove his existence by listening to His answer. To do so prior to it actually making sense would just piss Him off.

Great doubt leads to great enlightenment:)

because faith is the prerequisite for my path/purpose.

no, its more like, what eternity would be like without him.

We are born with the ability to try and identify the truth in all things.
i think we have to put the emphasis on the word try, mankind will always try to explain away the existance of God. out of fear as well, the fear that one might be held in account for our sin nature, that we have inherited from the genesis. and that wasnt Gods will, it was our own freedom of choice. and now while the world trys to explain God away. i choose to rest well in the facts that i have previously posted.

That makes us different from all other species we are aware of.
i agree, that we are different from other species.

IF we are God's creations, it is NOT a requirement that we 'believe' in HIM

i agree again, thats your freedom of choice.

and it would seem to be counter to what the intent behind our nature would be.
i agree again, man your on a roll :) you must have read Genesis. yes following God does counter our nature, our nature is carnal, and not spiritual.

judging by the present state of the world, i have to disagree.

Look to the reason behind your need to believe in God and if it is fear, look to the nature of that fear and to the nature of the God that fear implies

Psalm 111:10 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, a good understanding have they that do his commandments, His praise endureth forever"- King David

Could such a God actually create this universe?
without a doubt.
Would He actually go to all that trouble just to punish us at some future date for not second-guessing the correct 'path'?

not for questioning the path, but for rejection of the risen Christ.

So, it would seem way more logical that we should NOT believe in Him until such time as we can communicate directly with Him in his own language and prove his existence by listening to His answer.

i guess i fail to see the logic in it, but hey suit yourself. i guess thats what the freedom of choice is all about, right. alls i can do is tell ya theres a train coming, i cant make you get off the track, whether you choose to believe it or not is really mute point.

To do so prior to it actually making sense would just piss Him off.

In other words, let's focus on the rest of the Universe first. Leave God till last. That's how He'd want it.

in all due respect, i believe your assuming to much with this statement, but your entitled to your opinion.

listen gentlemen, i know i have over extended the sermon on this thread, so you all have my apology. in the future i'll try to keep the subject within the parameter of the threads posted.

I never regret anything I do,

Ignorance is always blissful. Either that or you are unique among all humanity.

nor do I ever feel 'guilty' for hurting someone. Does that mean Im going to heaven? :confused:

That is a decision you will have to make for yourself. God will forgive you. The question will be, when the veil of ignorance is removed and you see the full extent of the hurt you have caused, will you be able to forgive yourself?