Science Forums

What is the purpose of life.

Rebiu

Guest Mace Sin

I think many people take the idea of Nihilism to be depressing, but instead when viewed pragmatically it's actually a beautiful concept.

It's so simple. No action is important to any other. There is no objective to life. There's no divine being measuring your cosmic virtue, there's no demonic creature attempting to cause your demise.

What's beautiful is that since life has no clear objective to it, you are in control of your life. I honestly don't know why so many people shun this, it's freedom! You run your life, you make your decisions, there is no higher, metaphysical authority who judges you.

I'd like to think this life is more than just a test.

Yeah...YOU run your life huh? YOU make your decisions?

Actually free will doesn't exist.

So basically you don't make decisions,

those are just physical processes in your brain

reaction to actions equally, and opposite!

We're all happening,

whether we like it or not.

Imagine if the actual, true, real, final purpose in life is to see who scored the most points in PacMan? And only in the 1986 version? Between June and July?

Then all of humanity lead up to that point, and everything post-'86 is just winding down history.

I can't remember my score, though. I'll have to wait till I die to find out if it was high enough.

I understand the reproduce part but the other part is a little vague for me to grasp, please elaborate.

I agree with most that life is its own purpose. As an individual my purpose in life is to be happy and content. Happiness and contentment are the human minds reward for satisfying ones needs. These need exist in a hierarchy. You must satisfy the higher needs before gaining satisfaction from satisfying the less immediate needs. Here is a very short and incomplete list.

Breath

Drink

Eat

Security

Shelter

Human interaction

Physical challenge

Mental Challenge

Be a contributing part of a larger society that meets its needs

You put DRINK before EAT. That's my kinda life-purpose.

...What's beautiful is that since life has no clear objective to it, you are in control of your life. I honestly don't know why so many people shun this, it's freedom! ...

Amen. Amen. And I say, Amen. :eek_big: :hihi: :)

As my dear departed father once said,

"Life is like an evening at the poker table. Everybody is dealt different cards, some good, some bad. But the winner at the end of the evening is rarely the one who was dealt the best cards. The winner is usually the one who cheerfully accepted whatever cards they were dealt and played them better than any one else."

Your life is what you make of it. Body, mind and opportunities are your raw materials. You make your own decisions, you take your chances, you pay your dues, you reap your own rewards. When it comes time to die, perhaps you will decide that it was all worth the trip. I certainly hope so. :)

The Purpose of Life IS NOT TO DIE!!...

There is a wonderful quote from Robert A. Heinlein, from his masterly book, "Time Enough For Love", which I shall have to paraphrase:

If there is any purpose in the Universe greater than topping a lovely woman with her hearty approval, and getting her pregnant, I have no idea what it is.

:eek_big: :hihi:

There is a wonderful quote from Robert A. Heinlein, from his masterly book, "Time Enough For Love", which I shall have to paraphrase:

If there is any purpose in the Universe greater than topping a lovely woman with her hearty approval, and getting her pregnant, I have no idea what it is.

:) :)

Where were you in my thread about the evolved reasons for our motivations! :)

http://hypography.com/forums/biology/5539-what-evolved-reasons-our-motivations-impulses.html

Dat's raht! Dat's raht!

True to form as usual Pyrotex! :D

The purpose of life is to bring yourself to the feeling right before and during Ejaculation! :) :)

And then bacon, eggs, and toast for breakfast! :cup: :girl: :boy:

Abstinence is making me Riley! :)

Guest Mace Sin
Yeah...YOU run your life huh? YOU make your decisions?

In realistic terms, yes. However, I am a realist when it comes to nature. You can't decide you want to survive a tornado when it sucks you up. You do have the free will to decide you want to attempt escaping from it, though.