Science Forums

What is the purpose of life.

Rebiu

How timely was your post yesterday, Pyrotex. About 30 minutes after reading it, I was in my car going out for lunch when they stated this exact quote on NPR. Were you perhaps listening, and I just heard a re-airing of the story? Or is this some example of synchronicity?

It must be that you live in Synchroni City, because I haven't heard NPR all day. Really. My car radio is tuned into it usually, but yesterday and today I've been listening to classical rock.

Is there any scientific explanation for this - beyond the banal responce of co-incidence?

The human mind has always been fascinated by, and deeply bothered by the nature of chance and probability. Look at our attraction to gambling. And look at the pan-cultural distrust of or even contempt for arguments based on "probability" and "coincidence".

The reason for this lies in our neural wiring. The human mind has, at its core, two principal functions: pattern recognizer and meaning generator. Nature does not "abhor a vaccuum" since Nature does not have a mind. But the human mind does abhor a lack (or vaccuum) of meaning in the world. At every level, from the atomic to the street to the astronomical vastness, we are obsessed with finding patterns and supplying meaning, or "scientific explanations".

The problem is, the Cosmos does not care about our neural wiring and is not obligated to provide us "patterns" or compelled to perform in a strictly cause-effect manner for our convenience. We often "see" patterns that are not there; our own neural wiring tricks us, and then proceeds to generate a meaning for the illusion of pattern, which of course, reconfirms to us the "reality" of the pattern we thought we saw.

In certain intellectual circles, it has become de rigeour to insist that "there are NO coincidences" in the world. But there are. They happen all the time.

Billion-to-One coincidences happen 6 times a day on Earth.

The purpose of life? Hmmm... We are just a semi-efficient tool to distribute energy. A slave to entrophy, if you like....

My purpose in life was to marry a lovely woman who would be efficient at helping me distribute my energy. And I DID!!

Does that mean she is ... an entrophy wife???

Ever seen the (yes, I know, don't crusify me...) reality show on E!, Girls Next Door? It's some playboy girls who are Hef's girlfriends...

One of them asked in an episode, "So... in the bible, it says to 'know thyself.' Does that mean we should masturbate?"

I love hot dumb chicks sometimes... too bad they start to annoy me the following morning and I have to kick them out permanently. :)

ugh how can you watch SH!T like that????

turning on the television (at friends houses, since i dont have one) gives me a headache,

all of the information they get paid to try to cram into your head

as much and as fast as possible.

Whenever I TRIP I go thru this phase in my trip where I start to recite all of the BS i've heard on the radio or television throughout my entire life and it's insanely amusing.

ugh how can you watch SH!T like that????

Sometimes, as crazy as my life is with two jobs, buying a house, fixing problems with said house... it's just nice to sit back and subtract myself from it all for an hour by watching some mindless nonsense on the tube.

My dad, a really bright guy (yeah, I'm biased, but he had a lot on the ball) used to purposely rent the dumbest movie he could find after a horribly difficult week at work, and relax with what he called a "no brainer."

To each his own. I suspect you're too busy enjoying your life right now as it stands without too much need to get away from it for a while.