Science Forums

RFID - Invasion of Privacy or good business

Turtle

R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Toss up
    • I don't know; I need more info.

The Clipped Tag shows that IBM is addressing privacy concerns
Seems IBM has a solution even though they claim there's no problem.:hihi: :hihi:
I'm sure the tags will be stamped with "DO NOT REMOVE TAG UNDER PENALTY OF LAW": Have you ever seen anyone ever remove one of those from their mattress? Will they start now? :note2:

There's a lemming born every minute, :phones:

Buffy

• 2 months later...

yes the RFIDs have been around for ages; but not in the sense that they are now. some people allready have the chip implanted into their bodies, willingly/voluntarily of course, but some allready possess this magnificent but yet very outrageous technological ability.

i have heard talk about putting this chip into every new-born baby in america; if you want this chip you got it if you dont then you dont have to take it, but they are saying that on this chip we are going to hold our bank accounts and on this chip we will have our drivers license. Does this mean that if we dont have this chip we cannot drive, or cannot have a bank account? IN the bible it states that we cannot eat or live without the devils mark, well maybe this is the devils mark?

I liked how the big dog mentioned how the RFIDs have been around since WWII but what he did not mention is that they are being used right now and have been for some time, in your car or truck tires. Did you know that? They allready have these RFIDs in our car tires; all that they have to do is type in a number it will show every place that, that tire has been too.

Okay everybody that has read my stuff before, please let me know if I have typed things better, because i tried. thanks again.

theMaRTuiGaN

I liked how the big dog mentioned how the RFIDs have been around since WWII but what he did not mention is that they are being used right now and have been for some time, in your car or truck tires. Did you know that? They allready have these RFIDs in our car tires; all that they have to do is type in a number it will show every place that, that tire has been too.

Okay everybody that has read my stuff before, please let me know if I have typed things better, because i tried. thanks again.

theMaRTuiGaN

Your mastery of spelling, grammar, sentence structure and use of the [shift] key to remove unnecessary capital letters is much improved. And as a result I can say with authority that you need to be educated on the real facts of RFID.

There may be RFID tags in some car tires - these would be what are known as "passive" tags. They are used for tracking the tires through the supply chain, usually not past the factory where they are built. An RFID tag knows nothing but its own name. When a scanner "lights up" the tag, it responds with its name (data string). The scanner then knows that a specific RFID tag is in its proximity. Scanners would be located at critical points on conveyor systems so the movement of tires through a factory can be followed. Typical scanners cost $500 to $3000 dollars. They can read a tag at a distance of .5 to 2 meters, depending on the frequency of the tag. The scanners themselves are nothing but an input device, like a keyboard. They must be connected to a computer, which in turn must connected to a network and configured to transmit its data to a database. The location of the scanner must be known to know the proximity of the tag that it senses in its proximity. Unless I missed the conspiracy theory about the streets of the world being inlaid with tag readers, and hooked to a huge network that tracks the movement of individual cars in some bizarre and meaningless data gathering exercise, I am at a loss as to the point you are making about my omission of irrelevant information.

Welcome to Hypography!

Bill

How could an RFID possibly know where a tire has been.

That's just plain silly.

TheBigDog summed it all up nicely.

:cup:

Anyway, I think that RFIDs are not an invasion of privacy as long as their implementation is carefully planned and controlled. If society decided to make widespread use of these RFID chips, obviously regulations would have to be made (although the government has no problems making regulations).

I feel that if the RFIDs are used purely for business transactions, and emergency location use, then there really is no problem. It would certainly not be an invasion of privacy.

A lot of evangelical Christians feel that the chips would be the "mark of the beast" mentioned in the Bible. This alone could potentially prohibit the implementation of this technology in the near future... in fear that evangelical Christians take up arms and destroy the government.

RFID is simply a technology to allow for the exchange of information in a taggable way. How it is implemented seems to get wrapped up in the technology discussions all the time.

I was at a conference last year where a group of museums discussed RFID technology as a way to enhace the visitor experience. But when it boils down to it the technology is too flakey and expensive still. When the tags come down in price lots and the readers are smaller, more reliable, and cheaper, then I think you will start to see some more interesting uses of this technology.

I was at a conference last year where a group of museums discussed RFID technology as a way to enhace the visitor experience. But when it boils down to it the technology is too flakey and expensive still. When the tags come down in price lots and the readers are smaller, more reliable, and cheaper, then I think you will start to see some more interesting uses of this technology.

Yeah. Definitely. The technology is promising, but must be greatly improved first.

Speaking of DNA, I have to ask.

Can thes RFIDs be "tuned" to your DNA? if they required your matching prints and DNA then ID theft becomes allot harder. If they are simple in construction, and mostly hardware/hardwired then "hacking" them would be difficult as knifing someone, and probably just as messy.

This is to say, the chip is imbedded and part of you. Sure some one could steal my identity by cutting off my finger, but ummm... how many people would do that? I still have 8 fingers, 2 thumbs, and 10 toes.

As for knowning this or that about me? What do I have to hide? Watching me from day to day is pretty boring, I would think.

hold on, let me get this correctly... what do you mean by rfid being toned to your DNA?

RFID is Radio Frequency IDentification tag, basically a silicone microprocessor that stores data (their functions vary, but this one is almost always the same) with a little copper wire wound around in circles acting as an antenna that constantly transmits information to the reader and operates at something like 13.56 MHz and a polymer that encapsulates all that...

say I'm a malacious cracker that steals people's information (and i assure you i am no such thing) then with rfid any theft becomes not only not harder, because having a reader allows you to read the tags off, andywhere anytime, but easier, as now if you have a reader system at the store, i can write a virus that exploits a volnurability in the middleware allowing me access to the store's database where i can steal data about more then one person, by for example capturing and sending the database to some temporary server, storing it on a removable media and i can sell this for hundreds of thousands of dollars....

lastly what will i be doing on the side of the highway... first of all tags are programmable, so perhaps there is a special frequency that allows you to just blank them, if not, you can employ another tactic... fragile radio equipment has always been prone to high frequency storms and such, perhaps with right calculations and a little testing i can find a frequency that will render tags useless and wipe them before products come to storeshelves.... now my malacious cracking will destroy valuable data and cause company time and money to retag their product...

RFID sound scary yet?

What I mean is this, the broadcaster, the chip embedded into the user of the ID could, in theory could be "hardwired" to only function if a given DNA sequence was introduced into it. Via a protein computer solution.

So it does not function without two parts. DNA, acting like a hardware solution Encryption key, and finger-print. I mean function towards possibly malicious endevours, such as purchasing. For passive things, like data collection it may still function in that capacity... don't know need to do more research.

and i will still sit on the side of the highway with a coffee can antenna a cellphone and a laptop wiping any rfid tag that passes by...

and I will sit on the side of the highway next to Alexander butupstream of him with a pringles can antenna, a cellphone, & a laptop capturing the data from all the RFID tags before he wipes them as they pass by & then analyze the collected data for Katabatak patterns.:) If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.:cup: :)

i understand what you mean now KAC, yes the solution is possible, no the solution is impractical, since the whole point of rfid is that you can walk into a warehouse, pick up all the signals, find the product you need, and get the scanner to lead you to where it is located, if you have to use another set of proteins, then the only way you can scan what is on the id is by introducing the set to the id physically....like opening the lock with a key.... the point of rfid then becomes nil... (PS nil=null )

anyone know how hard it would be to destroy a chip imbeded in a person without cutting then open??

actually not very hard, you would need to introduce a high electromagnetic force to fry the tag, and that is not very hard, even with the person not knowing about it... think of a static shock...

I don't know if the rfid things would have micro circuitry in it or not, so i'm not sure.

not only they will, they do... how else would you store information on a tiny chip and have a radio transmitter all fit on a paper thin tag? other then magic i suppose... and using some sort of a dna computer...

I will ask about how powerful of a blast would be needed....

P.S. turtle, i will drive up the road, smash your laptop to pieces, then give you a totally different one that will be set up to get the seemingly random data and use it to generate extremely complex colored fractals, and then use sets of them to generate electric sheep..... :confused:

If you cant make something useful, make it pretty... :hihi: