Science Forums

RFID - Invasion of Privacy or good business

Turtle

R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Toss up
    • I don't know; I need more info.

Want conspiracy for invasion of privacy? All laptop computers have a microphone built in. Imagine that within the bowels of Windows there was a program that could passivly record the stream of data from that microphone, and send it to a location when a net connection is detected. You could bug any computer in the world that way.

Bill

Want conspiracy for invasion of privacy? All laptop computers have a microphone built in. Imagine that within the bowels of Windows there was a program that could passivly record the stream of data from that microphone, and send it to a location when a net connection is detected. You could bug any computer in the world that way.

Bill

Which could be fed directly into AI...

Topics like this can quickly devolve into a slippery slope of self-reinforcing conspiracy theories. That said...

Here's mine... :)

Nano-viral tags inserting themselves into our DNA.

Not only will there be an RFID in packages of the food I eat, but the food itself has been modified such that my cells and DNA will be altered by nano-viral tags during metabolism...

Oh yeah... That's a whole other level of Orwellian right there my friends...

:)

Seriosly though? If it's not one implementation of societal distraction resulting from fear induced by organized information delivery, it will be another. :)

...Nano-viral tags inserting themselves into our DNA.

Not only will there be an RFID in packages of the food I eat, but the food itself has been modified such that my cells and DNA will be altered by nano-viral tags during metabolism...

Oh yeah... That's a whole other level of Orwellian right there my friends...

___This is in-line with some of the forecasts given in the paper C1ay linked to in post #6. I note the author claims it is inevitable & seems to think it's OK.

Law of Accelerating Returns: http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0134.html?printable=1

PS I'm off to watch some more news. I shall return!

Topics like this can quickly devolve into a slippery slope of self-reinforcing conspiracy theories.

Seriosly though? If it's not one implementation of societal distraction resulting from fear induced by organized information delivery, it will be another. :)

I think Concern is a better word.

RFID won't kill me.

Turtle is voicing a Strong Concern over the implementation of said technologies.

It may concern him that People/corporations know he likes Turkey Chile with Garlic, and know exactly how to solicit him. :)

It concerns me that we may all need to get a SmartChip implantation, and that the old way of Cash Exchange is no longer viable.

Clay makes a good point in that we really could benefit from this sorta' Tech, and other tech like it.

I share my doubts like Turtle in that it could easily be manipulated in the wrong hands.

People who believe, that people who believe there is a Conspiracy are nuts, ought to:

1) Put their right hand on their left ear

2) Put their left hand on their right ear

and

3) pull their head out of their ***. :)

I know there is a conspiracy when something stupid like the Micheal Jackson Trial distracts and captivates a good majority of the people from what the Hell is really going on in this world! :)

Lets not show people getting blown up in this War in Iraq...

Let them See Nick and Jessica Simpson get a divorce!

Don't think about North Korea, or Chinese Generals talking about Nuking the West Coast over Taiwan...,

Instead lets show them American Idol.

You are right about the distraction part InfiniteNow...

And why I lumped my Conspiracy concerns in with RFID thread,

I guess it's 'cuz I could use some counciling! Or stronger Medication! Or both!

Put Me Back In My Straight Jacket Please!!!

thank you.

___Maybe not suppress, but certainly need to control technological advances. I don't have a problem with an RFID on a box, or every box & the box (container) they're in, or even on a removable sales tag on a purchased item. BUT...embedding these devices into the items in a way so they are ever active is beyond the pale.

___Once an item is sold, where is the legitimate efficiency need to the consumer to have an RFID tag in it? I simply don't see it.

Several deactivators are being explored now that could be used to deactivate the tags at the end of the distribution stream. Plenty of people that are part of the development process of this technology have the same concerns as you. I think they will influence development towards a less exploitable model.

Several deactivators are being explored now that could be used to deactivate the tags at the end of the distribution stream. Plenty of people that are part of the development process of this technology have the same concerns as you. I think they will influence development towards a less exploitable model.

I heard puttin' them in a microwave does a good job.:) No really!!!

RFID is may get implemented, but its implementation should not exceed the backs of warehouses, which i should mention would make them searchable and would make a load easier to find long lost items, however it is a total invasion of privacy if it ever gets implemented in the real world, it is a totaly bogus idea and a bad attempt at making shopping as well as finding stuff in your house easier as it allows anyone to do exactly the same as you do, and search your house in attempts to find such things as drugs for example, someone may use them to cause others greater harm then it could be possibly done in the modern world....

I've an idea; let's collect them (RFID tags) & put them into little kits & then use the kits to get special treatment. A kit might have a Guci tag & a Nike tag & a this or that tag which all in combination broadcast the identidty you choose. Then when you get scanned as you enter a store, sales people come fawning all over you thinking you're rich, or famous, or whatever.

If you can't beat them, play with them like dollys.:hihi:

I remember seeing a sales pitch for active RFID tags built into wristbands. They were being sold to an amusement park so parents could rent them and put them on their kids. The parents got a matching id card, and could use it to locate their kid in the park. I think if gave a real 3D coordinate down to less than 1 meter. I don't think they installed it because of the prohibative cost of installing the readers to cover the whole park. Each worked with a 300 foot radius. And they needed to overlap to give pinpoint coordinates without blind spots. As a parent I think that would be really cool because I could let the kids roam more freely without worrying about them getting lost in the park, while I could spend time enjoying different things.

Theme parks will be the trailblazers for the scary tracking technology that everyone has been alluding to. They love to get marketing and foot traffic information so they can maximize the profits they get from each guest. It effects the changes they make year over year. Look for getting a passive RFID tag at theme parks soon that acts as your pass for all exhibits, rides, shops, etc. Some of them have already started.

Bill