Science Forums

RFID - Invasion of Privacy or good business

Turtle

R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. R(adio)F(requency)ID Good? Bad? Toss Up? Don't know?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Toss up
    • I don't know; I need more info.

___I see the RFID tags (Radio Frequency IDentification) have started going in a big way. The argument is they speed transfer of goods, etc. but they are actually putting these little things INTO the products, not just the packaging. In the fabric, in the plastic, in the product. While they don't have a power source of their own (yet) they go active when they come near an RFID reader. They have plans for readers in vending machines so if you pass it reads your tags, asseses your customer status, & then the machine talks out to you or runs a reader board specific to you with a sales pitch.

___Everytime you go into a market, or even on the street, the marketers plan on tracking your movement, tastes, activities, economic status etc..

___Any body else think this is a bad idea:naughty: 'sides me?

PS I provide no links this time as a search of RFID is an education in itself. I just saw a page on why christians should be against them.:)

Not I, I support RFID. It's the next generation bar code. You'll be able to checkout your whole cart of groceries in 10 seconds. :)

How convenient; then when you go down the sidewalk a block from the store, a Coke machine is gonna know it's you, what you're wearing, when you bought it, where you live, what bills you haven't paid etc..

I don't hear a single news report these days without some story on ID theft. Do we really want who-knows-who having access to so much of our personal business? Once big business gets this info, then they'll end up giving it to the government same as the Google, or having it stolen like Legacy Helath Care here in Portland, OR. (personal data on over 200,000 stolen from an employees car)

I do not like it,

not one bit!

! Big Brother is laughing behind our backs. If I get a chance to catch him, I'm gonna sock 'em in the kisser.:)

Agree with Turtle on this one.

I was being Cynical.

Cashless society! Seems great in theory,

But manipulative and Controlling in Application. :)

Convenient, yes.

But why is everyone in such a Goddamned Hurry???

I gotta' check out these groceries FAST! so I can wait at the red light. :Crunk:

People aren't really That busy.

C'mon.

"I just don't have ANY time!..."

Biggest bunch of Bullsh^t I ever heard.

Although the technology is intriguing, It serves the purpose to deduct from your Wallet, and deposit it into the hands of already wealthy-enough people.

Capitalism is also a Game! a Very serious One!!! :) :Crunk:

Rate of Change is Accellerating. :Crunk: :)

We become more dependant on technology.

Remember how things were done before the Internet Clay??

You could still manage quite well.

This dependence on technology definitely has "Abuse" written all over it.

I suppose with more people on the planet it may be more expedient.

What happens when electricity goes out?

Can't access accounts.

Can't receive electronic transfers.

Can't get anything done.

This is playing into the hands of the wealthy elite.

It is a controlling mechanism..

It isn't necessary to make transactions so fast.

Like I said. Why is Everyone in such a Goddamned Hurry??

Breathe in slowly, exhale slowly.. :Crunk:

Internet is great and all, but I don't want ALL my Avenues going through it.

What about being Simple Human? enjoying the fresh air, and Lotus blossom?

Everywhere I go, I have Electronic Billboards signaling me with my Psychology in mind!

Locating my Position Globally at all times. Sending all my Consumer Habits into a Giant AI data base. :)

Problem is I can't stop it.

I think RFID is man's next enabling technology to increase his efficiency in both production and distribution. Yes, it carries the risk of abuse but so do many other technologies. It's but a stepping stone in a vision like Ray Kurzweil's Law of Accelerating Returns.

___Wow C1ay; that's quite an article! Good AI stuff too! :) I don't doubt the guy's charts, but he uses a lot of 'worm' words like "most", or "many" etc.. It is not so much the technology that I take issue with, but the people with access to it. Whether legimately gaining access or by social engineering or other means of theft, it is as much a bigger threat(exponentially so!?) to personal privacy as the nuclear bomb is more of a threat than a 500 pounder.

___Here's a link on social engineering:

http://www.kevinmitnick.com/

PS The top US fed promoting chips in people still hasn't had one implanted as he claimed he would months ago; head of some department I forget at the moment.

uses a lot of 'worm' words like "most", or "many" etc.. It is not so much the technology that I take issue with, but the people with access to it.

___Here's a link on social engineering:

http://www.kevinmitnick.com/

PS The top US fed promoting chips in people still hasn't had one implanted as he claimed he would months ago;

Of course not.

Would you personally test out a new Vaccine?

Right. Technology may be Great, but its the Dastardly Manipulative Human(s) behind it that makes it so Goddamned scary.

Without going into mass Chip implants after the next catastrophic Terror Event,

Isn't that the "Mark of the Beast" :)

I mean, chips are already implanted into pets,

Seems logical that Humans are next.

If you don't get a chip, then you starve...

Has anyone read a now hard to find originally uncut book called

"Behold a Pale White Horse" ???

Scary *** Sh^t.

Terrorists are going to distribute Chemical Weapon Gasses and Biological Agents through the Exhaust Pipes in Cars!

They just gotta' drive around, and exhaust everyone. :doh:

(Its not like they can't smuggle that stuff in. I mean Instead of smuggling Coke, Its Anthrax and Botulism..)

Then anyone left gets herded into quarantines and gets the Implant Chips; or gets shunned and left for dead!

I had Misfortune of reading an Original Copy years ago..

Left me with Paranoia Scars...

BBrrrrrrr.. This thread is so cold.

Anywayz..

That Book was written a number of years ago.

"Behold A Pale White Horse"

Anyone?

Ever heard of it? :)

I don't remember it mentioning RFID, but it did describe technological advances along those lines.

Like I said, it was fascinating and very chilling. :)

My friend who owned the copy became an Army Ranger. He was Big on the Conspiracy stuff.

Haven't seen to many Black Helicoptors in a while.

Illuminati was also a central theme.

Chip Implants, Terrorist using Biological and Chemical Agents. :)

Still, the thought of an Exhaust Pipe Dispersal System makes perfect sense. You don't really notice 'cuz you think its just exhaust.

You can infect all those people in big cities walking around.

You can't trace back to who did it.

Scary.

Maybe I'm being a little Paranoid.

I usually don't remember too clearly stuff I read 10 years ago.

The Book was Censored by the Government. Now only a whittled down version is available.(?) They didn't want too many people reading it..

Back to the Topic at hand.

RFID seems to me like even More Bombardment to our senses.

Theres already advertising everywhere we go.

Now its advertising directly to your psyche.

You become a Fish on a Lure. :)

OK I Did an Amazon Search..

"Its Behold a Pale Horse" not White Horse.

Like I said, Its been a while.

Written By William Cooper, a former Naval Intelligence Officer.

He describes our Secret Gov't, UFO's, JFK, Illuminati, War on Drugs.

It has an Extremely high User Rating. 4.5 of 5.

I admit it is a bit dated. 1991.

You can get a copy from Amazon.

But I think many things were censored for National Security reasons.

Still, its pretty hefty page wise, and Pretty intense too.

Without being a Conspiracy Nut, I do believe so many shady things are going on.

Some of it right in plain sight.

Illuminatti thinks its funny.

"look, right in front of their eyes! haha. It's not like they didn't see it comin'"

Put Me in My Straight Jacket Now Please!!! :) :)

There probably are many real conspiracies and abuses of power but that is not a reason to suppress mankind's technological advances.

That is a very Good Point Clay :)

I say Go ahead with Stem Cell Research, and Cloning too.

Plus development of smaller Tactical Nukes.

National ID cards with Smart Chips. the whole 9...

There probably are many real conspiracies and abuses of power but that is not a reason to suppress mankind's technological advances.

___Maybe not suppress, but certainly need to control technological advances. I don't have a problem with an RFID on a box, or every box & the box (container) they're in, or even on a removable sales tag on a purchased item. BUT...embedding these devices into the items in a way so they are ever active is beyond the pale.

___Once an item is sold, where is the legitimate efficiency need to the consumer to have an RFID tag in it? I simply don't see it. This idea is not to benefit the consumer, it is meant to separate them from more resources. Yet another invasion of privacy; the privacy my country, my teachers, & my parents have told me is mine since I began drawing breath. If any ol' technology is fine for everyone, why is it illegal for me to tap my neighbors phone or film through their windows with my handycam, or order up a Browning machine gun?

___I do not like it Sam I am!

It is difficult enough to get RFID to work correctly in a controlled environment, and the hardware is very expensive. It is going to be a long time before it becomes an invasion of privacy.

Things to remember. There are two types of tags, active and passive. The active tags have a battery and send a response when a call is heard. That resonse is a string of bits that can be decoded into information. Usually only useful to the person who coded the sting of bits. Active tags can be called and heard from a distance of say, 300 feet for a big tag. When I say big, like 4" long. Passive tags have no battery. Their structure creates a digital echo to a signal. Depending on the frequency of the tag you can read these from up to about 3 feet. But in most applications you are looking at 18" or less for a sure hit and return. This is not capable of snooping on people as they stroll down the street. Plus, the idea of storing and retriving any of this data in a corherent fashion may be the bigggest trick of all. There are man big dreams for RFID, but most of them are far from real world doable applications. Also, this is WWII technology. We are just getting around to using it now.

Bill

___Maybe not suppress, but certainly need to control technological advances. If any ol' technology is fine for everyone, why is it illegal for me to tap my neighbors phone or film through their windows with my handycam, or order up a Browning machine gun?

_

More good points! :)

While we're at it, lets make it so I can tap into peoples Hard Drives on their computers and get any info I want?? :)

Its only for getting consumeristic information.