Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

Right BigDog!

But I don't think Dogs want a nasty case of Rabies either! :hyper:

I love dogs. I just don't want them tearing up my whole place and then looking so sweet and innocent!

The only thing that finally cured my dog of digging is... uh... well... still hasn't happened. Although since we have been walking him as a pack ritual of exercise and submission he has stopped most of his shenanigans.

Bill

The only thing that finally cured my dog of digging is... uh... well... still hasn't happened. Although since we have been walking him as a pack ritual of exercise and submission he has stopped most of his shenanigans.

Bill

You Just Hit a Hot Button with Me Kiddo!!!

Its the "Terrible Two's". Incurable except with age :eek:

My Black Lab I could have "Killed"; literally! :evil:

I would come home from work to find that she had tore-up another Bonzai tree I had been growing for years! :hyper:

She must've destroyed about 10 or so, And other Herbs and Plants!!

I walked her all the time...:hihi: She just got bored being in the yard, and it resulted in bad behavior...I was sooooooo pissed and upset! I couldn't blame the dog, and I couldn't bring back the plants either :doh:

I'd have a little Museum if it weren't for that Dog....(aaahhhhh)

Some dogs are worse than others. Labs are bad! ;)

Thats when I learned to Fence-off areas. :hyper: :cup:

Till this day, NO DOG is allowed on the Deck!

Even now, they like to dig up onions and garlic for some reason! :evil:

Thats why I am more a Cat person...:cat:

at least they stick to chewing up the catnip, and leave everything else alone...

Live and Learn,

Rabid Racoon

It is not just walking the dog. It is HOW you walk the dog. The dog must follow you, being submissive to you as the pack leader. Don't let the dog sniff anything or piss on anything unless you give permission. This makes you the leader and the dog the follower. Then, claim the garden. You don't need to piss in the corners and such, but let the dog know that the garden is your's, and he is not allowed. Once they see you as the calm dominant leader the whole wolrd of behavior changes. This works for ALL dogs. If you are not leading them the way they expect, then they fill the gap by leading you.

Watch the dog whisperer. He is my role model.

Bill

Then, claim the garden. You don't need to piss in the corners and such, but let the dog know that the garden is your's, and he is not allowed. Once they see you as the calm dominant leader the whole wolrd of behavior changes. This works for ALL dogs. If you are not leading them the way they expect, then they fill the gap by leading you.

Bill

I know all about it BigDog!

(and I HAVE pissed my territory around the yard to show 'em!:hihi: )

I AM 'THE' Top Dog around here, and they knows' it! (Alpha AND Omega, believe you me)

But when I'm gone, its a different ball-game ;) :hyper:

:hyper:, strike two!

Rascally Rac

I am gonna' try growing some Broccoli in the area I was considering for tomatoes...

I am usually reluctant to grow leafy green stuff because of all the Bugs; I don't want to spray. (the seed package says its "vigorous and trouble free")

I already bought some seeds; RAAB, Di Rapa heirloom variety...

Does anyone have experience with Broccoli?? -

and just curious... How long can seeds be good for? I have some from last year...?? and they were left outside during the winter. would it be worth the time to plant them?

I wonder what kind of Germination rate seeds have as they get older? :eek2:

Happy Gardening,

wacky Racky

Allrighty!

Got 5 rows of Walla Walla onions in. from starts

I also planted 3 rows of Broccoli seeds. I will see it they germinate this early before I plant more. :shrug:

Snow Peas are going in soon, as soon as I till the dirt a bit, but it has been raining as of late.

Lots of firewood from trimming the Apple Tree :confused:

Weather is getting nice for a while out here again.

I could use some fresh air.

I have a Concern.

I've mentioned it before

Squirrels!

Seems the little bastards are digging up the Brocolli seeds I've planted!

And they keep tearing off the moss scrounging around in my Bonzai's! :shrug:

Short of Snipering them with an air pistol,

WHAT CAN I DO??

they're damn sneaky. And they don't seem to listen to me when I yell at em' :computer:

I am open to suggestions if you have any.

Thanks.

Oh, I also planted some Walla Walla onions in a row container, to make salad onions. and want to keep them from it too

Nothing like the Good Chi of digging around, planting stuff, and making it GROW! :kiss:,

Racoon the Green Thumb

New residence, new garden. Condition and circumstance have me with a patch nestled in a NW fenced corner. I have double dug about 6 feet of running row for a start; the native soil is stony Missoula flood deposit. I have a roll of chicken wire to surround the patch, & here we have a twofur.

First to Racoon, because a chicken wire enclosure may keep out the squirrels if it is covered. Of course they may just dig under it!:) Try spreading some hot-pepper flakes or powder on the plants?

Second to the geometers, how shall I arrange my roll of wire so as to enclose the most space in the right-angle-cornered existing wooden fence? (Hint:the wood is cedar).

I purchased seeds of tomato, cucumber, & radish, plus I have a pack of sunflower from last year. The tomato seeds I have starting in pots inside & I plan to sow the radish & cucmber direct.

That's all I know about that.:eek2: :cup:

Dear Folks:

Can anyone tell me what animal was this tree defending itself from to evolve those viscous 3 inch thorns?..........Dinosaurs?..........giant Sloths?

You guess it!

The giant sloths evolved because of those things!

The tree just got sick of their unruly behavior.

the Brocolli germinated. First year growing it. I have it dog proofed I hope...:confused: but not squirrel yet.

The Japanese Fern did make it! :ebasball:

I was worried because it was a new plant, lost all its leaves and Didn't see it sprout new yet. Its in a container for now. It a real purdy light green and white...:friday:

I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to plant (and further, assist in survival) a Japanese Maple in my Austin, Texas yard... complete with it's hard dirt, low frequency of rain, and blistering summers. Any thoughts from you horicologists out there? My thumbs are definitely green, but more so in the sense that I've never done planting before than that I'm successful at it. :)

I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to plant (and further, assist in survival) a Japanese Maple in my Austin, Texas yard... complete with it's hard dirt, low frequency of rain, and blistering summers. Any thoughts from you horicologists out there? My thumbs are definitely green, but more so in the sense that I've never done planting before than that I'm successful at it. :hihi:

Not good IN. :cry: :cup:

I have several mini - Japanese maples, [bragging tone] in containers.:star: The larger green kind.

(as opposed to the dwarfier red variety) 2 for future bonzais...

I transplant the seedlings from the yard at my Moms house. She has a beautiful 20 foot one!

There are 5 right now that are doing well. 1 died this winter. And there are a couple more seedlings I need to transplant before she has her yard done w/ fungiscides...

They like shade, and some sun. And rich soil. If you could find a shadier portion of the yard, mix in a bit of good dirt around the area, and take real good care of it (water and fertilize regularly) then you have a shot!!

TREES! er...Cheers! :cup: