Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

SEE TO IT

AS I HAVE CREATED THESE SUNFLOWERS FOR YOU!!!!

(godly voice)

Besides you might make a quid out of it.

A quid got is a quid saved I always say. :shrug: The afformentioned freak conjoined-twin-head sunflower is fully pollinated and gone to seed. If I cut it too soon, the seed may not be viable, but if I wait too long the head may mold (we just started having rains & I have lost sunflower harvest to rain before!:hyper: )

In general I have been too busy gardening to talk about it. The radishes have petered out. The cucumbers continue although they are now smaller and curved compared to the early large & straight ones from the same vines. The Roma tomatoes have started and soon I'll have more than I can eat. I harvested an Acorn squash today; I may have jumped the gun but it's rainy fall weather & I really wanted to cook something warm & flavorful. :eek2: The watermelons are bunk; I have only 3 melons from 11 plants and the largest is not quite 6" in diameter. The Sunflowers promise a bountiful harvest if the heads don't mold. ;)

This concludes another irregularly scheduled horticultural report.:doh:

If I cut it too soon, the seed may not be viable, but if I wait too long the head may mold (we just started having rains & I have lost sunflower harvest to rain before!:eek

Can you put an umbrella over it?

Seriously, you may be able to rig up something. Stranger things have happened at the cutting edge of horticulture!!

You can probably pick them when not 100% ripe and they will ripen in a dry, warm spot indoors. Cut the head with a lot of stem this may help.

Cool beans on the aformentioned Sunflower.. I'll definitely have to take a looksy..

My agrarian ways started out with much gusto during the spring, but other interests sidetracked me; resulting in a good, but not stellar growing season..

The snow peas contracted some sort of "rusty blight", and were nixed. I may have to add some lime into the soil.

Eggplants look good, but yeild is low. Peppers are fine, but small. Theres a big size difference I've found when growing organically.

Container herbs went par for the course. Parsley is doing great, and I'm finding little starters around the yard and in other containers. Basil and Lemon Verbena are always a treat to smell. B)

I wish I could post some pics, but no camera.. perhaps I can coax Turtle for a visit, or borrow someones..

The weather has declined as of late, colder mornings and more precipitation. Expecting another couple of weeks is all.

thats Racoon's garden report..........

Happy Gardening everybody.

Cool beans on the aformentioned Sunflower.. I'll definitely have to take a looksy...

I wish I could post some pics, but no camera.. perhaps I can coax Turtle for a visit, or borrow someones..

The weather has declined as of late, colder mornings and more precipitation. Expecting another couple of weeks is all.

thats Racoon's garden report..........

Happy Gardening everybody.

Thanks for the report Rac. :) We turned the heat on too for the first time last night. Here's a pic of Friend Freak-Head :eek: Sunflower after harvest, and I may have an occasion to drift your way so I'll keep in touch & bring camera if I do.

Happy Gardening indeed everyone. :doh:

I need a new digital camera, but I'm afraid by the time I get one, the growing/harvesting will be over... I'm lucky to get a pic or two, before it the camera fizzles out. :D the pixel quality is low, but you get the idea...

In this Corner, here is a snapshot I managed for you guys:

Peppermint, Parsley, Basil (3 dif. varieies) Spearamint, Feverfew, Horehound, a Tomato, and the ground is covered by Strawberry runners :lol:

the little fence is to keep canine out, but he can keep a good eye on them in his dilapidated doggy-house there bushelled in Lemonbalm

In the background by the fence are Raspberries and in front are a couple varieties of peppers, but not very clearly seen...:lol:

I need a new digital camera, but I'm afraid by the time I get one, the growing/harvesting will be over... I'm lucky to get a pic or two, before it the camera fizzles out. :( the pixel quality is low, but you get the idea...

Nicely grown Racoon San. :) Harvest time in my garden today and no time to bother the camera.:shrug: I cut all the sunflowers and have them drying on paper bags now; some crafty birds already gobbled a few seeds and the rains are a comin'. A sunflower side-note; one of the seeds from the conjoined-twin head sunflower is itself a conjoined-twin seed! :eek: :)

I have dozens upon dozens of Roma tomatoes and I have taken up the task to dry them all in the oven. I slice them thick, lightly salt them, and put them on cooling racks set in shallow baking pans, then bake at 180°F for 10 to 12 hours. Great in soups or stews. :D

A few cukes left and whatever more tomatoes the weather allows and the garden goes fallow. I may plant some garlic as fall is the time for that if you expect to have multiple bulbs at harvest.

This concludes another irregularly scheduled horticultural report from the turtle's garden. :ip: :cup:

I'll be paying a visit eventually sooner than later Turtle-san..

Your prepped tomatoes sound nummy.. :)

I gathered many of the container herbs and plants that are on the deck for a little group photo..:)

I put my Seattle Seahawks tailgait grill in front.. 'Cuz theres a Big game on tonight!!

• 2 months later...

Most of the plants are going to winter sleep or are compost.

So the focus turns towards the indoor garden.

plus I'm having fun learning how to use a camera, so here are some indoor houseplants in the north facing bedroom window, at night.

the plant on the left is a variagated ficus. The plant second from right is a Hedgehog Aloe. I just thought it was the cutest thing. And I don't know what the others are? Only that they needed to get out of the store and onto a good windowsill with moderate sunlight. ;)

Growing new season basil but a bit disappointed. It tastes like Clove Oil. Like something the dentist puts on your teeth; Not nice.

I have made some cuttings of Thai Basil I bought from the supermarket- hope this is better.

It rained last night.

My gardenias are getting upset by the grey water and I look like loosing a few old plants. Very depressed about this

Growing new season basil but a bit disappointed. It tastes like Clove Oil. Like something the dentist puts on your teeth; Not nice.

I have made some cuttings of Thai Basil I bought from the supermarket- hope this is better.

It rained last night.

My gardenias are getting upset by the grey water and I look like loosing a few old plants. Very depressed about this

Try Cinnamon Basil.. Its smells so darn good. :)

I haven't used it in anything, but just the aroma of cinnamon basil is enough to make me weak in the knees. :)

• 5 months later...
Getting the vegetable plants going..

Tomato's and peppers.

Nice Rac! You're way ahead of me this year. I did put in a Jalepeno I bought already growing, and a tomato too. I got both wrong though, as the Jalepeno is mild and the tomato isn't cherry! :hihi: I ate my first radishes today, and I planted the seeds from freak-conjoined-twin-head sunflower of last season. They have sprouted, so if they survive we will see if they bred true and produce freak-conjoined-twin flower heads themselves.:turtle:

Anyway, lookin' good in da hood Rac. :hihi: :turtle:

Getting the vegetable plants going..

Tomato's and peppers.

Looks great Rac! Shannon is doing Strawberries and herbs so far this year in the edible category. I will post some pictures soon. I would like to do Tomatoes. I love tomatoes from the garden. :hihi:

Bill

I've posted here as well:

http://hypography.com/forums/community-polls/6440-do-you-garden-3.html?highlight=do+you+garden#post168420

...but figured it more appropriate in this thread. :sherlock:

So, an update. :P :read:

My sweet basil has been coming up like a weed, and I've already used it in a few dishes in the kitchen.

The garlic chives are sprouting, but not all of the pots caught on. Those that did, however, are long, luscious and green. They made for some really righteous mashed and baked pototoes.

The lavender is slow going. I'm a little worried about it, but some sprouts have come up and I can hover my nostrils above for a nice wiff of their perfume. (Hopefully, I won't grow moobs. :D )

The jalepenos have these tiny little nubs sprouting in all areas, and the anaheims are booming. I have one already 3 inches in length. Oh boy, somebody get the ricotta, beef, and tomato for some chili rellenos!

My yellow honeysuckle vines that I put in front of the house seem to have made themselves at home. Walking in the front door their fragrance gently welcomes you. There is one closer to my driveway that I am somewhat concerned about, as it gets hit with full sun. While they are said to require full sun, I think there is a difference between "full sun" and "full Texas sun." They are going to be green leafy jerky if I'm not careful. :sherlock:

I picked up two weeks ago something called a "black-eyed susan vine." It's really bright and pretty. It has the green vine leaves, but also these flowers that are a rich and bright orange, with a dark black center. Very cool indeed, and I couldn't leave the nursery without it. I have yet to give it a home in the ground, but it is doing well in the pot.

Then, just today, I went out into my backyard with my dog after work and my peach tree is LOADED with ripe peaches! :P I walked around it, and picked the ripe ones... Ate one that was uber-sweet and drippy right there in the lawn. Oh my... That is what a peach should taste like! Also, my plum tree (probably more appropriate to call it a "plum shrub" due to it's size :D) also has some little plums forming. They are just a bit bigger than a common marble, but are not yet fully ripe.

How cool it is having a house. I would never have done ANY of this in an apartment. Sorry I don't have any pictures to share. My digicam crapped out on me recently (I turn it on, and it starts snapping photos continuously, nonresponsive to the shutter button, and won't turn off without taking the battery all the way out... it's possessed!).

Okay, I guess I should go turn the compost pile. Happy gardening all. :P

Update: On the ground

Nice set of stems, coon-san. Well played. :yeahthat: I'm curious. I'm really quite new to gardening... I'm "green" as it were... Why so many in pots and not directly in the ground? I imagine you don't consider yourself an expert, but I'm confident you know more than me on the topic. I kept my peppers in pots... mostly from lack of confidence in my ground based growing abilities. Is this why you did it too, or was there another reason?

Huan Xiong... Proste mate. :artgallery: