Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

On todays menu... Eggplant Napoleans
/forums/images/smilies/banana_sign.gif

I have 3 White eggplant bushes, the fruit get as big as softballs, sweeter than the purple ones, Yummm.

I must have planted kohlrabi on a whim and while not getting the little bulb yet they are sporting 4 different kinds of larva so, you guessed it, produce of the day... fish food!

Flash lightening was occurring earlier this evening, but no juice.

Yesterday we had 4 hours of thunder and lightning and just a few drops of water. dry storms are getting to be a daily thing I think I hear the rumble already.... :(

This is my fear , 17 trees in the front yard, tall oaks, and almost all the leaves from last year still on the ground, dry as toast! They were raked into berms like I do every year. Usually the rains of winter rot them down into nice water absorbing ridges about 50 feet long and 6 feet wide and 3 feet deep. But there they are at the foot of 50 ft trees and we live on the highest point in the area! Aieee!! :eek: Even an errant cigarette butt could do us in and teens cut through from the woods behind our house. What are the odds they realize how dangerous the drought has become? :shrug:

Enuff depressing thoughts, fiddle-dee-dee! :D

I picked 2 of my pineapples today, buy the time I cut up the second one the first one was gone and by the looks of it the second one won't make it through the night. :eek: SOoo Sweet! :shrug:

the cutworms ate my last tomato plant but not before I got five nice tomato's off it (and that plant was loaded too) so I'm left with eight pineapples and one Orange tree last harvest I got two five gallon bucket of oranges, the tree is loaded now and if the rain stays steady and we don't have a heat wave it should be a good harvest this year. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just happened to be listening to this fella on the radio. Make up your own mind on the merit.

A recent book, Seed of Knowledge, Stone of Plenty, by John Burke (the "B" in "BLT Research Team") and his colleague Kaj Halberg (Council Oaks Books, 2005: ISBN #1-57178-184-6 and ISBN #978-1-57178-184-0) presents scientifically documented evidence that the old-world engineers who built the massive henges, pyramids, mounds and dolmen of the ancient world may well have understood a true secret—lost to modern man until now. The authors show that these structures were overwhelmingly sited at locations where the local geology magnified naturally-occurring electromagnetic fluctuations in the earth's crust and, further, that pyramidal and corbel- roofed stone structures erected at these locations enhanced this effect.

Additionally, they reveal that indigenous seeds, when placed at these locations (for various periods of time, depending upon the type of seed) show significant increases in growth rate and yield when subsequently planted—as well as increased resistance to plant stressors (lack of sunlight and/or drought conditions). ...

"Seed of Knowledge, Stone of Plenty" by John Burke

PS You can pay to have your seeds treated in an electric field using modern equipment; this research in fact predates any relation to monoliths. >> Welcome

my milo (sorghum) is putting up its seed-head; see photo below. i am harvesting cherry tomatoes every day, but most don't make it inside. :D harvesting sunflower seeds; good ones for me, not so good are for the birds. plenty of squash & cukes. harvesting radish seeds for next year's crop and preparing to plant a fall crop. popcorn is tasseling and i have 3 or so ears coming.

i am planting garlic this fall as i hear it must be in the ground & get cold in order to form multi-clove bulbs. also may plant some winter wheat just for the heck of it. (found some growing volunteer by an old field and harvested a bagful. B))

that's a wrap. snap. :) :doh:

I added 2 young Bonzais to the deck this weekend.

A Cotoneaster and a False Cypress.

Specially mixed Bonzai soil was $5 for a small bag...

excellent choices Racoon San. :dust: i had a number of cotoneaster's as bonsai & they're fun to work with. i recall they bloomed so profusely as to almost completely obscure the branches & foliage.

in double checking my spelling of 'cotoneaster' i just learned they're named for resembling quince! there's a bonsai i wanted but never got.

cotoneaster - definition of cotoneaster by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia. [New Latin Cotneaster, genus name : Latin cotneum, quince; see quince + Latin -aster, partially resembling.]

thanks for the pics & perks Rac. :dust: :bow_flowers:

Having got a landlord who likes all his rental properties to look neat and the same, we may only have lawn in the garden and may not make beds.:dust:

This however has not prevented me and the wife/(gardener) :bow_flowers: from living out our love of South African flora. Everything that can be planted in a container is filling up the windowsills, garden table and garden walls. I am currently designing some brackets to hang shelves on the garden walls to put some more containers.

For a peek at some of SA's splendid drought resistant succulents, see photos of some of them in my collection here.

Its good to see pictures of what you grow. I have a very nice Fuchsia boliviana var. puberulenta in bloom. Can someone please explain how I can upload a jpeg image

Thanks. :) One way to add a photo is to scroll down below the reply box you type your post in and click the "Manage Attachments" button. A box appears showing the max size and a line to enter the file.

Below I used that method to attach a jpg scan of some wheat I found growing volunteer. Click on the thumbnail for a full-size view. :hyper: