Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

If'n yer gon go lektrik....

Why not place a copper filiment round then rather near it wrap another of steel?

(Is slug slime acidic or basic (alkaline???)?

My garden is still on hold as the weather is still being uncooperative.

I've decided (as lumber is really expensive and I don't have the time) to go old school and plow me a patch and mix the good stuff (composted soil and moss) in.

David Bradley tractors and implements Check this out it's reallly cool! (click dbs at work)

I've got one of these and another is on it's way. Mine old one was built in 1948 and is still brutally powerfull. The new is of unknown age (I'll have to get a better look at it's builders plate) but is in better shape and has a plow, disk cultivator and a few other goodies. I can't wait till it get's here...I love old machines with a passion...hmmmm...old machine but new toy:)

If'n yer gon go lektrik....

Why not place a copper filiment round then rather near it wrap another of steel?

(Is slug slime acidic or basic (alkaline???)?

:D Good thinkin' Lincoln! Let's collect the slugs and make slug batteries. :turtle: :hihi:

David Bradley tractors and implements Check this out it's reallly cool! (click dbs at work)

I've got one of these and another is on it's way. Mine old one was built in 1948 and is still brutally powerfull. The new is of unknown age (I'll have to get a better look at it's builders plate) but is in better shape and has a plow, disk cultivator and a few other goodies. I can't wait till it get's here...I love old machines with a passion...hmmmm...old machine but new toy:)

Oh man! That is cool! I gotta say though, the circular saw attachments are nothin' but insanity. :eek_big: :naughty: How many horses are they? Are they hard to find? So cool, I'm dribblin' at the chin. :read: :turtle:

:D Good thinkin' Lincoln! Let's collect the slugs and make slug batteries. :turtle: :hihi:
:D

Oh man! That is cool! I gotta say though, the circular saw attachments are nothin' but insanity. :eek_big: :naughty: How many horses are they? Are they hard to find? So cool, I'm dribblin' at the chin. :read: :turtle:

3 to 6Hp. More if you fit a higher output engine. My new one has an 8Hp. rototiller engine. But these buggers are reeeeeeeeeally well geared the 1948 unit has a 2Hp. reel mower engine (also from 1948) and is fully capable of plowing (earth and snow)

and has even been used to push my 3/4 ton pickup...didn't even hiccup.

Sorry had to tend to some responcibilities.

As to are they hard to find...yes and no.

There seems to be a fair number of them to the west of here...round here they're kinda scarce (people don't tend to want to part with em)....What's hard to find are the accessories!!! Especially around here. You occasionally see them on ebay but the catch is that as they are Iron, large and heavy, shiping (if available) is expensivish or you gotta drive a long ways to pick them up...

That said...If you're really good at scrounging and have friends willing to help you shouldn't have too much difficulty locating them.

I've been toying with the idea of converting one of mine to electric (battery) power! there's plenty of room under the hood for a couple of marine or golf car batteries and a reasonably sized electric motor. (Got the motor and solinoid, I just need the batteries!) Perhaps I'll even paint it green so it will truly be a green machine:hihi:! I figure it should be good for plowing, cultivating, and towing a cart.

Nothing exciting happening right now. Seeds are sprouting and emerging.

Strawberries that started as a couple runners are now an awesome little patch. will provide future pics...

Meanwhile I thought this was a pretty cool article! check it out. :confused:

PingMag - The Tokyo-based magazine about “Design and Making Things” Archive Funny Shaped Japanese Watermelons

I am not sure what is up with this peach tree in the back yard. I threatened to dig it up like I did it's twin last year since they have not produced any edibles in at least 5 years. Peach borers have been a problem and I have gone organic so I avoid chemicals. Before I left to spend a month in Missouri I decided to give it a spray of H2o2. Thinking that a simple oxygen boost wouldn't be enough I threw in 4 drops of "oil of oreganol", a powerful essential oil that has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-parasitic, anti-spasmodic and anti-oxidant properties. That is it, 4 drops in a gallon of mild H2o2. I doused every bud and every inch of bark, even a large circle of earth at the base of the tree.

What I found a month later still amazes me! Normally these fruits would be much smaller and falling off already, usually each would be pierced with gel from the borer bubbling out a bit. But very few have it so far, so I made the mix up and sprayed again. Hoping for a miracle, but will settle for a good reason to not tear this tree out!

yep those are peaches! Public Gallery Picture - AOL Pictures

oregano info... index.htm

The Peroxide Phenomenon-Gardening Miracle

UPDATE MAY 31: I have removed at least 150 peaches(small) leaving at least twice that still growing nicely. Seems to be a natural thinning going on now as some seem to be shriveling a bit then falling off. Not at alarming rates yet. I did clear out all weeds under the tree, watered well, put coffee and leaf compost down with a couple hundred worms and then cardboard and mulch over that. All this and I would be happy with a handful of fruit! Gardeners are nuts, huh?

Picture by patsapeachygal - AOL Pictures

I have a question ?

I just put in two new flower beds, zinnias, sunflowers, lavender, one bed is in a clay soil that did extremely well last year, the other bed is in highly composted soil,... the high compost soil bed did not do very well last year , so I am assuming that the soil is to acidic. My question is concerning how to change the PH quickly since the seeds are in the soil I’m thinking bone meal needs time to break down. Any suggestions of something I could put down?

I looked up bone meal to see about release rates. I didn't find that info, but I did stumble across this which may help you TB:

Raising the soil pH to make it more alkaline

It is generally easier to make soils more alkaline than it is to make them more acid. Because different soil types react in different ways to the application of lime you will have to add more lime to clay soils and peaty soils than you will in sandy soils to achieve the same result.

To increase your pH by 1.0 point and make your soil more alkaline.

Add 4 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in sandy soils

Add 8 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in loamy soils

Add 12 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in clay soils

Add 25 ounces of hydrated lime per square yard in peaty soils

Correction of an overly acid soil should be considered a long term project, rather than trying to accomplish it in one year. It is better to test your soil each year and make your adjustments gradually. The addition of hardwood ash, bone meal, crushed marble, or crushed oyster shells will also help to raise the soil pH.

Soil acidity... How to adjust the soil pH in your garden

Here's a little video-tour of my veggie garden(s) so far. :bouquet:

The narration:

We open with the North wall Guardian, Horse, then moving on, we pass Rain Barrel, and quickly drop down & visit the Maize, 'Indian Corn' variety. Swooping up, we drop by Compost Pile #1 & #2, and then turn down on the new patch where we have Icicle Radishes emerging on the edge, and Sunflowers in the middle. Hopping across the grass we visit a row of Wheat, Compost Pile #3, Beans, Garlic, Red Radish... wait...Ants!!! :eek: Eating my Red Radishes! :) Pull them up, and move on to tomatoes...look...some have blooms :clue:, on to more Red Radishes...pick a few to eat, then on to Lettuce, Sunflowers, Pumpkin, and Cucumbers. In spite of planting 3 staggered patches of Carrots, none have come up. :( But no worry, I'm eating the Radishes. ......:turtle:

YouTube - Veggie Garden(s) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVgdL-gZzII

Nice Turtle! I have a question for you.

I have quite a few multi-colored sunflowers in seedling trays right now. I have a couple limited spaces to grow them in.

How far apart can I squeeze them together??

And any other recommendations?

Alas, the Weather is Not cooperating around here.

But the Strawberry patch is really taking off!! whats great is that a couple runners have turned into a really nice little patch. a patch of ground that was not suitable for anything. (rocky, hard ground, and next to house)

I dote over it. killing slugs with a stick, and meticulously weeding it.

All Organic! :D

I have several starter trays of peppers. But heres whats in the ground as of now.

This concludes the Memorial Day weekend edition of.....

Whats Growing In Your Garden??