Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

What's growing in my garden? In Wisconsin right now, the only thing growing in my outside garden is the depth of snow. But inside...

I have 2 new guests this year, Kaffir lime clone that I have under t5's and Im trying to grow a toiletpaper oyster mushroom. It still has ~ 18 more days until I should see some results and plan to place the rotting TP carcass on my kitchen table for everyone to enjoy.

On Monday I purchased an Epiphyllum Oxypetalum from the internet. It's a cactus that is renowned for blooming for only one night with fragrant, dinnerplate-sized flowers.

Blooming age occurs after a couple years and I'm not entirely sure how old my specimen will be.

Fingers crossed it comes today.;)

On Monday I purchased an Epiphyllum Oxypetalum from the internet. It's a cactus that is renowned for blooming for only one night with fragrant, dinnerplate-sized flowers.

Blooming age occurs after a couple years and I'm not entirely sure how old my specimen will be.

Fingers crossed it comes today.:)

I'm wondering how your Irridated tobacco came out..

But an Epi-Oxy sounds cool.

How do you ship something like that? considering its floweringstage>?

I'm wondering how your Irridated tobacco came out..

But an Epi-Oxy sounds cool.

How do you ship something like that? considering its floweringstage>?

The tobacco never happened, as I quickly became occupied with more legitimate endeavors.

The company that I purchased the Oxy from has informed me that it is only 6 to 9 months young, so it is not yet capable of producing flowers. Since it's winter, they ship their plants in insulated packaging, with a heat pad.

I'm still worried about it though. Theoretically I should have received it yesterday, but since Fed Ex doesn't deliver on New Years, I should get it today. The bad thing is that it had to sit in a cold warehouse somewhere for a day. :)

Keep your fingers crossed.

I got some tobacco seeds from Redwood City Seed company (California) one year.

As I was not sure how to grow them I asked my Local Govt AG. Dept. for info.

The amount of spraying they recommended was horrendous -about 40 chemicals before they even were seedlings!

I thought "bugger that" and just threw them in a pot to grow-or not.

They all came up; and grew into large plants. Probably the easiest thing I have ever grown from seed.

You just wonder how much the carcinogenic activity of tobacco is related to the chemicals used in production of the plant and the finished product.?

I got some tobacco seeds from Redwood City Seed company (California) one year.

As I was not sure how to grow them I asked my Local Govt AG. Dept. for info.

The amount of spraying they recommended was horrendous -about 40 chemicals before they even were seedlings!

I thought "bugger that" and just threw them in a pot to grow-or not.

They all came up; and grew into large plants. Probably the easiest thing I have ever grown from seed.

You just wonder how much the carcinogenic activity of tobacco is related to the chemicals used in production of the plant and the finished product.?

Tobbacco grows like a simple weed. extremely easy.

More simple than Mary Jane.

Theres a lot of science involved of course If you want to produce the best or best around

My Epiphyllum should arrive tomorrow!

FedEx shipping says that it departed a facility in New Jersey this evening. Only a couple of states away. ;)

:ip: how did you find out about them?

if it quits snowing & raining here like Noah knew :help:, I got some tilling & sifting of some sod to do in the garden. some of the garlic came up, but will have to wait til spring to see what I get. :)

Got it:highfive:

It's a rather small cutting, with two lateral growths off of the main cutting (which is cut off; I'm assuming it was used to make another cutting.)

Tomorrow I'm going to head out to hunt for soil ingredients. This is going to be one big experiment, since I don't know what mixture of components to use.

Resident epi-growers have their own "special" mixtures... but these can vary greatly due to differences in personal preference and local climate.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a cactus soil/perlite/sphagnum mix.

I'll re-pot it into something larger (maybe 4-6") as it is currently in a 2.5" pot, and it's somewhat root-bound.

:photos:Now for pics!

post-3524-128210105484_thumb.jpg

post-3524-128210105542_thumb.jpg

Okay, I have successfully (?) re-potted my E. Oxypetalum. I say successful in that I was able to transplant it. I'm hoping that it actually takes root in it's new medium and survives!:shrug:

I ended up going with a a mixture of approximately 1/3 Cactus soil, 1/3 Perlite, and 1/3 volcanic rock. If I had to bet I would say there is more soil (volume wise), but the ratio of the masses of the components should have been approximately equal.

Here's a picture of the supplies I bought, and one of the final product. I ended up *not* using the peat moss, because I figured it might induce root rot. Instead, I plan on buying a coarse orchid bark mix to incorporate into the soil... if I can do it without disturbing the cutting too much.

post-3524-128210105597_thumb.jpg

post-3524-128210105626_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Okay, I have successfully (?) re-potted my E. Oxypetalum. I say successful in that I was able to transplant it. I'm hoping that it actually takes root in it's new medium and survives!:D

That is the sum & total of gardening; hoping for survival. :hihi:

I started 5 new Youth-on-age plants in pots just so I could keep up with you. :D This is a native plant to my area and I collected the Momma plant at Lechtenberg Forest.

Also shot a short vid of my garden. Starts with compost pile, goes to Leeks, Garlic, frost-heave patch, another compost , my new expansions, and ends with my wildflower patch. :) :)

YouTube - veggie & wildflower gardens http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzBX_joIqis