Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

Very bad idea dude, very bad......

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad idea" :shrug:

And If I do, I don't probably wouldn't agree...

I can't wait for the weather to get better. I can't believe the prices in fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs. :eek2::doh:

Tomorrow I/m going to difg up and put into containers all the green leaf Japanese maple seedlings from around the yard.

I went by the nursery today, and the Jap Maples ( 10 ft. tall in containers) run over $120 ! :eek:

I have a few in containers now. stay tuned for pics.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bad idea" :shrug:

And If I do, I don't probably wouldn't agree...

I can't wait for the weather to get better. I can't believe the prices in fresh fruits, veggies, and herbs. :eek2::doh:

Tomorrow I/m going to difg up and put into containers all the green leaf Japanese maple seedlings from around the yard.

I went by the nursery today, and the Jap Maples ( 10 ft. tall in containers) run over $120 ! :eek:

I have a few in containers now. stay tuned for pics.

You'll know exactly what I mean when the man comes calling.....

Thanks Moontanman..

I don't want to throw this thread off track :shrug: Lets get straight and narrow.

Just sayin' that I'm excited by all the seed starts from ALL the variety of plants I started weeks ago. :eek2:

Its like watching your kids grow.

I love Horticulture in all forms. Its amazing and relaxing, and entertaining at the same time.

Heres another little patch of strawberries from around the corner that took off on its own too... Mixed in are some California poppy's that come back year after year right there..

they say timing is everything... Well I really messed up the spring planting here. I was away for the month of April and didn't get some things planted. I called home and the hubby "gladly" planted a row of greenbeans for me. Only 4 plants came up and cutworms eat 3 of them.... :) you can tell part of the problem, too much shade! my neighbors willow oak has leaned over to fill in the space where I cut out a tree to get more sun for the garden! She has given me permission to trim it but all the branches are over the garden now. Either it will cause damage to the plants, the trellise or my pocket book!

Picture by patsapeachygal - AOL Pictures

UPDATE: This means war!!

Public Gallery Picture - AOL Pictures

While I was crying over missed opportunities all the green beans that I planted late sprouted! Then I find out my worst enemy in the garden this year is the lowly roly-poly! The like to eat things, but just a bite at a time... grrrrr Take strawberries for instance. Do they get together and have a strawberry party where they devour whole berries? NO! they just come in and greedily pick the nicest ones and take a few wee bites of it and ruin it for everyone! And now I am finding they like greenbeans. Where I had blamed cutworms it turns out to be the lowly roly-poly who takes a few nibbles and topples the freshly sprouted greenbeans. So this means war, but organic war, Diatomaceous earth. I am hoping that either I have planted enough for us all OR they will get a bellyache where the white stuff is! Time will tell.... :shrug:

Racoon

Where'd Orby go BTW?

This place hasn't been the same without him......

I miss the good old days and some of the younger contributers

I know, I long for his insightfully input, and I wish he will would return soon!

May you fare well, Orby! :shrug:

they say timing is everything... Well I really messed up the spring planting here. I was away for the month of April and didn't get some things planted. I called home and the hubby "gladly" planted a row of greenbeans for me. Only 4 plants came up and cutworms eat 3 of them.... :( you can tell part of the problem, too much shade! my neighbors willow oak has leaned over to fill in the space where I cut out a tree to get more sun for the garden! She has given me permission to trim it but all the branches are over the garden now. Either it will cause damage to the plants, the trellise or my pocket book!

Picture by patsapeachygal - AOL Pictures

I hope you planted again. After 3 plantings of carrots, I see I finally have 2 or 3 sprouts; will have to wait to see if something eats them besides me. :)

On the overhanging tree: In general, anything plantwise overhanging from a neighbor's yard into your yard is fair game for you to cut without permission. Just thought that worth mentioning in case relations aren't good, that you know you have law on your side. Now to muddle it with caution, if your trimming kills or harms the health of said neighbor's plant, you might have problems. By all means consult an arborist and an attorney. :D

Now I'm off to plant an Orby seed. :clue: :shrug:

• 2 weeks later...
Now I'm off to plant an Orby seed. :earth: :turtle:

I had to wait to find Orby seed first, and that happened yesterday in the way of a packet of Wildflowers for the Pacific Northwest from Ed Hume Seeds.

It's still raining here, we have had maybe 3 days without rain in weeks. I love the rain, and so went out & turned up a new plot for the wildflowers. Here's what's in the mix: Yarrow, Bachelor Buttons, Columbine, Wallflower, Shasta Daisy, Clarkia, Chinese House, Coreopsis, Larkspur, Dianthus, California Poppy, Gaillardia, Godetia, Gypsophilia, Dame's Rocket, Blue Flax, Red Flax, Linaria maroccana, Alyssum, Lupine, Gilia, Candytuft, Nemophilia, Evening Primrose, Iceland Poppy, Shirley Poppy, Foxglove, Rudbeckia, and Cathfly.

:hihi: :( :bouquet: :bouquet:

:turtle: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet: :bouquet:

• 2 weeks later...

Well i would like to think this is.

www.popgive.com: Bruno's Art & Sculpture Garden - Australia - Fantasy, Beauty and Humour - Fantasy, Beauty and Humour

But I don't have an artistic bone in my body.

Between the possums and snails I have little productive to report.

(How much is a shotgun?) :cup:

Winter here is unusually wet and warm (14C)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The garlic harvest is in, and I'm verrrry happy! :bounce: As I mentioned before, and in case you don't know, in order for garlic to form a multi-clove head it must be planted in the Fall.

I noticed the garlic plants fallen over from the base of the stem & the stem browning so I thought an animal was in there bustin' it up, but the beans weren't damaged. :confused: Unsure when to harvest garlic, I searched & found that it's time when it starts to fall over and the stems brown. :hihi:

>> Harvesting Garlic

:turtle: ...................

MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....Gahhhhhhliiiiiik!:)

I'm going to have to plant me some! How do you get it started? Do you break one up into several cloves and plant them?

Yup. That's the ticket all right. :) I just used a bulb I bought at the produce market. If you plant them in Spring, you end up with just a single bulb like an onion.

I'm regularly harvesting green beans, lettuce, and radishes now and the tomatoes will be ready in a week or so. :confused:

On the tomatoes, a fella visiting told me tomato blooms won't release their pollen until vibrated at a frequency of beating bee wings. Ever hear of this? I haven't seen any honey bees on my tomatoes (or any flowers for that matter), but something is pollinating them. Also after hearing about the vibration and sharing that with another visitor, they said they knew someone who hand-pollinated the tomatoes when no bees were around. :turtle:

I just eat the stuff. :hihi: :bounce: