Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

Green tomato Chutney is an old Australian favorite.

havent had it since my dad grew a backyard full of tomatoes.

Two receipies

Green Tomato Chutney :: Recipe :: ABC Melbourne

Green tomato Chutney

Jalapeño chilli (you spell it chili) will keep for about 12 months if you clean & slice them vertically. Take out seeds and placenta if you want a milder heat. Heat in jalapeños varies enormously. Then cover them completely in sweet sherry. I usually use a flagon and just poke them in.

Try it with 4-6 habaneros for a fiery drink-a bit like scotch- or nice to slurp a bit of the sherry in pan juices for a sauce or as a flavoring in most things- stir fry etc

Jalapeños are often smoked as they are hard to dry because they are so fleshy. Find a fisherman with a little fish smoking box. It is loads of fun and pretty easy to do. Get a mate and two flagons of sherry and make a day of it!!:)

OK I read the chutney recipes and they have as much peppers in them as green tomatoes :eek:, but I think I can simply substitute to suit my taste. My Jalepeños are mild, but the immediate hotness is no compare to what builds after a hearty serving. :fire: :hihi:

Those are picture perfect peppers Turtle! You just reminded me of a friend (moved) who made this great salsa with them, it would be so hot you couldn't stop eating it!

I have two 1/2 cups of cereal rye seeds sprouting and will plant another 1/2 cup of them every few days til I fill a couple of the garden beds (3X17 ft). I clip them when they reach 6-7 inches for juicing then let the plants grow out for the rest of winter to use as green manure in the spring. This protects the soil from weed invasion and kills nematodes when it is turned over to break down.

Thanks PalmTree. :camera: Some salsa it is then too. :phones: The wheat is up, and I think after reading your post I'll sow the whole patch with it. My patch is about 8'x12', at least what I have turned up so far. Always tough to plan ahead when you're a renter. :(

The sorghum is just kinda hanging in there, all 2 plants that produced seed anyway. :doh: It doesn't look ripe yet and the early rains don't seem to be hurting it. I think I harvested a whole tablespoon of millet. :hyper::shrug:

That's all this gardener's got. :tree: :phones:

I'm interested in the aquaculture idea as well, palmtree.

My pepper plant (cayenne?) is still producing and there are two green peppers on the plant right now. I also have a habenero plant with a solitary pepper. I think I'm just going to dry them out and save the seeds for next year.

That's all I've got.

I'm interested in the aquaculture idea as well, palmtree.

My pepper plant (cayenne?) is still producing and there are two green peppers on the plant right now. I also have a habenero plant with a solitary pepper. I think I'm just going to dry them out and save the seeds for next year.

That's all I've got.

And a sight better than got-nothin'! :turtle: :yay_jump: I am finding there are more names for hot peppers than Carter's got pills. :applause:

:phones: ... have two 1/2 cups of cereal rye seeds sprouting and will plant another 1/2 cup of them every few days til I fill a couple of the garden beds (3X17 ft). I clip them when they reach 6-7 inches for juicing then let the plants grow out for the rest of winter to use as green manure in the spring. This protects the soil from weed invasion and kills nematodes when it is turned over to break down. ...

What is "juicing", by-the-by? :hihi: Do you not harvest the grain? :applause:

The sorghum is just kinda hanging in there, all 2 plants that produced seed anyway.

My sister had a couple of millet plants to grow up under the bird feeder. It is simply amazing what "steady at it" "brute force" that a plant with such a tiny seed can exert on a side walk... :hihi: The plant was a solid inch in diameter growing in a 1/4 inch crack between 2 slabs, not sure who won the battle.

What is "juicing", by-the-by?

Juicing is cutting the green culm while still small, 6-8 inces or so, and putting the thru a juice mill (squeezing type) to get all those powerhouse nutrients into a liquid form. They say that an ounce of fresh wheat juce is equivalent to a pound of any green veggie (surely not equal to Kale though) a fast way to increase nutrient intake. There is a whole lifestyle around it out there, I actually grab up the chickweed that grows rampant here and juice the 2 together with a touch of pink grapefruit juice added for sweetening. Then the sod and winter growth is turned over a few weeks before spring planting season. I have not ever had any grain by that time. Makes a luscious soil additive after the worms get done with it.

Nematodes can also be killed with sugar as well as the mulch

Maybe that is what the liquid sorgum is for in my compost formula (bocashi). It seems the microscopic organisms are like us they like their sweets!

RAISING CATFISH IN A BARREL

A biological food chain in the back yard produces fresh fish

for the table and compost for the garden.

Aquaculture is where fish are grown in tubs, ponds, lakes etc and the water that they foul is then filtered by watering plants, then recycled back to them with oxygen added somehow(mine has a waterfall and bubbler) I have learned to grow larva and have a small worm bed for occasional feeding. Other than that the fish mostly are like cows they graze on the green stuff that grows in a pond, all so very natural and peaceful. If this winter's plantings are successful I may try a larger pool type container and get talapia fingerlings and do some real crops with them. Starting small though as I don't have money to waste on whims. But to have the complete circle of sustainability is fascinating. Not to mention skipping the chemicals that are in food today.

Right now I am trying to just keep a few different types of things alive and learn. I would have to seriously ramp up the feeding program to grow fish for eating.

Aquaponics is the actually the practice I am trying to explain. A blend of aquculture and hydroponics.

Aquaponics—Integration of Hydroponics with Aquaculture

Aquaponics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pictures of biofilter here read down past the ads

bio-filter design considerations eliminate green water diy design essentials

Building A Bio-Logical Filter

Aquaculture for small farmers: Journey to Forever

• 3 weeks later...

My ambition for the pond has met a setback. I had not taken into account the shade cast by the house over the pond and filter in fall and winter. With wintery temps setting in and no sunlight the few garden plants I had put in the filter were showing ZERO signs of growth. I have learned that fish hardly eat in the winter months, so they don't foul the water hence little fertilizer for the plants. So I have looked to find plants to put in there that like cold moving water (watercress) and plants that grown nicely on the north side of the house (chickweed) replanted it and will occupy myself a while to see what develops, if anything. Meanwhile the temporary greenhouse is up and hopefully I can keep my 4 moriga trees from having a die-back. The temps in the green house get pretty high when the sun is out so I have to open it up a bit, this gave me the idea that when it is completed I may put a tank of fish in the greenhouse!

Our recent rain (1 1/2 inch) has netted me another hundred gallons of water, very little help to turn the drought around but I will still be eating from the garden at this rate. I am looking for a good cistern, one more in the thousand gallon range.

Here are pics of the last fruits from the garden, a small winter greens bed, the planted filter and the temporary greenhouse built of removable plastic sheeting and cattle panels....

patsapeachygal's Public Gallery - AOL Pictures

- Now Playing "Pat's biofilter"

• 1 month later...

I just got in from checking the new greenhouse as the temps are dropping fast here in Georgia(US), so fast that it started to snow as I did some last minute taping of seams. For now my moringa trees are double wrapped and greenhouse protected. Hopefully they will not die-back to the ground as is common where it freezes.

I was in Florida last week and picked up some Dollarweed : Hydrocotyle bonariensis. It is a very common weed there but when I learned it was edible I had to give it a try and it was very good! It loves a wet setting so I hand dug some to put around my pond and in the biofilter. I went out to refresh my taste of it to describe it to y'all but alas my dog "chewy"(very appropriate name :thumbs_up) had mowed them all down, chewing every sizable leaf off. Hopefully they will recover after replanting all the little roots... awwww

Yes it is a pernicious weed but my pond is so isolated, it being wrapped by a concrete patio and path, that I feel pretty confident in the control factor here. And of course there is Chewy to contend with....duh!

Not much to do in the winter garden. I picked a few kohlrabi and perennial leeks for a soup. Mixed about a wheelbarrow of coffee grounds in a pile of leaves... caught an unusual sight for Georgia the waterfall in ICE mode.... can anyone ID the artifact in the picture?

That's it for me, What's Growing In Your Garden?

kohlrabi, leeks and artifact from the woods ...

Picture by patsapeachygal - AOL Pictures

and "Chewy" the greens eating dog...

UnCut Video - Now Playing "freezing waterfall"

Not much to do in the winter garden. I picked a few kohlrabi and perennial leeks for a soup. Mixed about a wheelbarrow of coffee grounds in a pile of leaves... caught an unusual sight for Georgia the waterfall in ICE mode.... can anyone ID the artifact in the picture?

That's it for me, What's Growing In Your Garden?

kohlrabi, leeks and artifact from the woods ...

Picture by patsapeachygal - AOL Pictures

and "Chewy" the greens eating dog...

UnCut Video - Now Playing "freezing waterfall"

I hear ya; I miss the gardening. :camera: Hard to tell about the artifact without seeing the openings; fuel or water can? :)

I have wheat and garlic growing nice & green but staying small and low to the ground. I've done a little weeding and need to get to my compost piles as well. That's a wrap. :turtle: :eek_big:

Hard to tell about the artifact without seeing the openings; fuel or water can? :eek:

OOPS! it is open on the bottom with 3 evenly spaced small screw holes for tightening it over something.... A large pipe maybe? It's about 10 1/2 inches diameter and 18 inches in height, well made, with the little handle at the top. It has been out in the woods for 14 years so thought I would give it a home. And maybe a paint job.:eek:

I have wheat and garlic growing nice & green but staying small and low to the ground.

I noticed that my rye is quite "low to the ground" as well, It should be 8-10 inches instead of 3 inches, and the blades have blunted tops, I suspect rabbits. Though I have not seen any *smart pills* yet... :shrug:

I am doing winter dreaming and may start soon on a different type of cistern, one you can swim in! It's either a couple thousand on a nice PVC tank or a couple thousand on one of these....hmmmm here's a link

Natural Swimming Pools

• 2 months later...

Well I looked out yesterday & saw buds on the trees starting to open, so today I got started in the garden. :) The wheat & garlic are showing new growth; most of the wheat is going to have to go to make space, so I ate a couple plants just to get things started. :D

I moved a pile of soil to add some new acreage, and turned & harvested soil from my compost piles. I planted some roma tomato seeds in indoor pots, and put in 3 short rows of red radishes outside.

Touch wood, but we haven't renewed our rental agreement yet and I hope I don't do this work only to get the boot. :jab:I also buried a whole pumpkin last Fall and expect before long a bumper crop. I think I'll try some Indian corn this year.

What's growing in your garden? ;)

Well I looked out yesterday & saw buds on the trees starting to open, so today I got started in the garden. :) The wheat & garlic are showing new growth; most of the wheat is going to have to go to make space, so I ate a couple plants just to get things started. :D

I moved a pile of soil to add some new acreage, and turned & harvested soil from my compost piles. I planted some roma tomato seeds in indoor pots, and put in 3 short rows of red radishes outside.

Touch wood, but we haven't renewed our rental agreement yet and I hope I don't do this work only to get the boot. :jab:I also buried a whole pumpkin last Fall and expect before long a bumper crop. I think I'll try some Indian corn this year.

What's growing in your garden? ;)

Nothing yet, but I plan on doing some char experiments. I want to have the following experimental plots (ie plastic cups I've collected) going:

1) 20% char

2) 15% char

3) 10% char

4) 5% char

5) control

I also plan to do repetitions on this with groups having lime added to reduce pH to neutral as well as some with pH below 7. I also want to experiment with nutrient input (different types, amounts, etc.).

It's probably too ambitious with the amount of cups I have, so I'll probably start with some combination of the above for the first go. (suggestions welcome!)

Of course, the point of all this is to figure out how to make my soil optimal for this environment so I can plant some stuff in the ground and reap maximum benefit. :)

As far as your comment of the trees budding Turtle, you should have a look at this site. It might be something you are interested in. :Bump2:

Project BudBurst

• 4 weeks later...

Despite the chill & rain, Spring vegetable gardening goes on. :cup: I have a few red radishes up outside; will see if they make it. Planted carrots today (Danvers 126), and a new veggie for me, white icicle radishes. Also Indian corn seed is in and pumpkin.

Inside, I have 3 varieties of tomato sprouted, & some cucumbers seeds waiting to sprout, oh, and a single Indian corn sprout I threw in to see if the seed was viable. :esmoking:

Squash still to come & sunflowers...:)

Last fall, I gave away the next to last Bonsai tree I had; my remaining tree I kept by someone's request. It is a 7 year old varigated cypress which I started from a cutting. I'll try to get a picture for you soon.

My obsession for Bonsai lasted about 8 years, during which time I collected over 120 trees with more than 60 varieties. I collected from the wild, collected & planted seeds, & started some from cuttings. I did not strictly adhear to Japanese traditions, either in my selection of species or manner of display.

It was good therapy for a few years, but then became a burdensome entanglement. Twice a day, everyday, they had to be watered... Anyway, I have just the one now, & an uncomprable connection to trees still. :)

You should try Bald Cypress or Water Tupelo for Bonsai, all you have to do is root the tree in wet soil and then put the pot in a large bowl with just the trunk sticking out of the water. Plant Azzola in the water and it will grow into a thick green tinged with red carpet. Just keep the bowl full. No watering twice a day and the Azzola minimizes evaporation and stops mosquitos!

Not much at the moment. However, I have some ideas. This spring, I'm thinking of putting some apple, cherry, and maybe plum trees out in the front and back yards. These will be given a boost by my own homemade terra preta and I'll use spent coffee grounds to fertilize them. Also, the girl I'm seeing asked me to grow some herbs for her, so I'll probably get a few small pots and some terra preta in them started with seeds. She's not much of a gardener, but I'll try to setup something that makes her think she has the greenest of thumbs and requires little upkeep.

Can't really get a good garden going because I'll be absent for part of the summer vacationing, and no one will take care of my plants. :) I will probably have to wait until the fall. In fall, I'd like to start a new garden growing spinach, carrots, herbs, and weird stuff like coffee and tea bushes indoors in my garden room.

1) 20% char

2) 15% char

3) 10% char

4) 5% char

5) control

Grillin' are we?:eek_big:

Sweetie and I are going to start our fisrt veggie garden soon....I cant wait it's been 15 years since I got to grow some eats...She does flowers every year though I always seem to be the one ammending, mulching and building the beds up...

The plan is NOT to dig up the existing soil at the planned location out back...(I've broken too many shovel blades diggin there)...but too instead build a large 24" high rectangle out of lumber painted with marine paint then lined with pond felt from the top of the sides allthe way accross the bottom...

When completed a 2" layer of clean sand will be topped with composted soil mixed with mulch and moss which I hope will yield easy to work with food and anchoring for my veggies, as well as soil that will retain lots of moisture.

I'm contemplating burrying black vinyl pipe withlots of holes rigged to a sump with a toiled float valve to thoroughly drought proof.

Any recomendations for type of wood and hardware to hold it together?

Soil mix? (additions to the planned mix or recomendations against any of the ingredients)