Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

Nice set of stems, coon-san. Well played. :hihi: I'm curious. I'm really quite new to gardening... I'm "green" as it were... Why so many in pots and not directly in the ground? I imagine you don't consider yourself an expert, but I'm confident you know more than me on the topic. I kept my peppers in pots... mostly from lack of confidence in my ground based growing abilities. Is this why you did it too, or was there another reason?

Huan Xiong... Proste mate. :evil:

Becuz' the ground is hard and filled with rocks.. Not really conducive to good harvest.

So I place them in prosperous soil above ground.

Containers limit the growth, but are easy to maintain.

I focus more on available sunlight at this point...

Theres an ******* neighbor who limits the sun I get thanks to his Un-authorized, and wihout a permit building he built,, that blocks about 3 hrs. of early morning sunlight...

So you Know...

I see something suspicious there. :rotfl:

Its not all Cinnamon Basil, Freeztar

But it is pretty Kosher, sweet smelling, and productive

Japanese Maples do hold a special place in my heart..

Here are a couple I've been cultivating in containers

Their leaf pattern is similar to suspicious ones :alienhead:

The jalepenos have these tiny little nubs sprouting in all areas, and the anaheims are booming. I have one already 3 inches in length. Oh boy, somebody get the ricotta, beef, and tomato for some chili rellenos!

Last week, I ate my first anaheim pepper. I pulled it from the plant and bit right into it. Fresh. Full of water. Clean. Delicious. When I reached closer to the stem, where more of the seeds were, it became a bit spicier. It was really good though.

Today, I pulled 6 anaheim peppers and 3 jalepenos off when I got home from work. I ate them all, right there, in my back yard. The jalepenos had some bite to them, but the freshness and (all I can think to call it is) water balanced it. Really cool... Actually, really hot! :sheep:

My peach tree is out of fruit. The squirrels seem to have enjoyed them much more than I. I would guess that I had a total of 20 or 30 peaches myself, many 5 or 6 at a time. The squirrels upset me a bit though. They'd come down, take one or two bites, drop it on the ground, then tear into another one. I don't mind the animals eating, but that's just wasteful and someone should speak with their parents. :sheep:

It's getting hot here. It's not July/August hot, but it's close. I think we hit 97 today, so I've had to water my plants more. My black-eyed susan vine needs different soil. I have to water her more than the others, as she gets very crispy in a hurry. Full sun my ***! :earth:

Cheers. :sheep:

Last week, I ate my first anaheim pepper. I pulled it from the plant and bit right into it. Fresh. Full of water. Clean. Delicious. When I reached closer to the stem, where more of the seeds were, it became a bit spicier. It was really good though.

Today, I pulled 6 anaheim peppers and 3 jalepenos off when I got home from work. I ate them all, right there, in my back yard. The jalepenos had some bite to them, but the freshness and (all I can think to call it is) water balanced it. Really cool... Actually, really hot! :sheep:

I love peppers. Ever bitten into a garden habanero? :earth:

My peach tree is out of fruit. The squirrels seem to have enjoyed them much more than I. I would guess that I had a total of 20 or 30 peaches myself, many 5 or 6 at a time. The squirrels upset me a bit though. They'd come down, take one or two bites, drop it on the ground, then tear into another one. I don't mind the animals eating, but that's just wasteful and someone should speak with their parents. :sheep:

:sheep:

Squirrels are so abundant here. The hawks in the area can't take up the slack, so I no longer brake when they make their suicidal, impromptu dashes across the road. (only kidding...I tap the brake from respect)

It's getting hot here. It's not July/August hot, but it's close. I think we hit 97 today, so I've had to water my plants more. My black-eyed susan vine needs different soil. I have to water her more than the others, as she gets very crispy in a hurry. Full sun my ***! :earth:

We finally got our first REAL rush of T-storms the last couple days. Everything here is unusually bone-dry and it doesn't look good for water levels.

My pepper plants are doing well though and hopefully I'll be able to get some lettuce. My seeds failed (probably because of the late planting) so my ambitions for a 'real' garden are set back at least another year.

In the meantime, I want to try what I can at this point, although I seem limited by the region and season.

I love peppers. Ever bitten into a garden habanero? :sheep:

I wouldn't call it a "bite" so much as a "nibble," and frankly, I don't think I'll be doing that again any time soon... at least, not until my fresh pepper palette has habituated more.

In the meantime, I want to try what I can at this point, although I seem limited by the region and season.

Maybe it's not too late for indoor plants, something in the "windowsill" family perhaps?

:sheep:

My pepper plants are doing well though and hopefully I'll be able to get some lettuce. My seeds failed (probably because of the late planting) so my ambitions for a 'real' garden are set back at least another year.

i recommend planting again, particularly the lettuce. you can keep planting the lettuce every couple weeks & get a continuous harvest up 'til Fall.

i plant a new patch of radishes every week or so & already harvested some. my acorn squash and cucumbers now have their first secondary leaves. my mild jalepeno pepper plant has 1 tiny fruit. i have 4 varieties of tomatoes growing vigorously; cherry, beefmaster, and 2 varities of roma.

slugs ate most my black-oil sunflowers as they emerged so i'm starting new seeds in egg-crates; the slugs don't seem to go for them once the secondary leaves come out, so i'll wait for that before planting.

i planted milo (sorghum) but none has come up & i'm sprouting some new seeds on wet paper-towel swatches.

that's a wrap. :doh: :)

• 2 weeks later...

radish cycle is going nicely. i web-searched 'how to grow radishes' and learned some new things. for one, it's time now they say to plant the long-root white radishes as they tolerate heat more than the red-rounds. then plant red-rounds(mine are champion varitey) again in fall for another cycle. i have let several radish plants alone so as to collect my own seed; they're now flowering and i saw a moth pollinating them today. both moth & flower pretty & can't say i ever saw them before. another new thing i learned is that you can eat the radish seed pods. i think i'll let a few more go to seed.

of all the seeds i planted or sprouted of the dark-shelled milo (sorghum) i have only 2 growing plants to show for it, and they are yet some wimpy little threats of plants. :D :beer: ;)

i have a nice set (12) of sprouts now in the ground of a smaller white hulled seed from my birdseed; it may be sorghum as well.

my black-oil sunflower starts did well in the eggcrates and are now in the ground. better late than never???

all 3 varities of tomatoes have bloomed; won't be long now.

i planted some popcorn; 2 plants have emerged. knee-high by 4th of july? not so much. :( :doh:

that's a wrap. :eek: :)

Not much rain here in the atlanta area this year.

We have moderate/severe drought conditions and

trees starting to show signs of distress dropping leaves etc.

I am using biochar and humanure compost to advantage,

and water my food garden freely since I use nothing for

flushing. There is leaf mulch covering the roots

of my plants.

The most interesting things growing are 4 moringa trees

that I planted from seedlings in April (brought from ECHO

gardens in Ft. Meyers FL) and a "3 sisters" arraingment of

sweet corn, broad beans and zucchini with nasturtiums in

the nooks and radishes between the zukes. All doing quite

well, the corn in full fruit is about 7 foot tall.

Hope my dogs keep the racoons and squirrels from eating

it all before we can get a few ears.

the bed is 4x10 with 24 stalks of corn, 4 zukes and ? number of beans.

Not much rain here in the atlanta area this year.

We have moderate/severe drought conditions and

trees starting to show signs of distress dropping leaves etc.

It's very dry here indeed! Did you read the paper today (er...yesterday)?

Drought could cause temperatures to soar | ajc.com

It makes sense that the temperature could rise without the mediating force of water, but 'soar' is a bit of an 'inflated' term.

It sucks though. :beer:

Here's the weird part though, the humidity is below 100% (at least it feels that way, big time). No water=no humidity=weird summer.

It's subtle enough that I doubt most people even notice.

I'm happy that I'm not roasting at 106 with the eminent threat of whatever. Tell your buddy that he's appreciated, but to get his hiney back to his family when he can. :)

My bro-in-law is here on leave from iraq. He may feel like he never left. while I am still shocked when the car registers 110* on the atmospheric measuring system he doesn't seem to notice! These asphalt parking lots really are excellent solar collectors.

I spoke too soon about the threats to my corn. Last night Japanese beetles ate the silks off of half of them.. =-( I treated the rest with diatomaceous earth and set watermelon traps. we will see what works if anything... on the upside white cucumbers are ripening yummm..... and the okra is busting out in blooms.