Science Forums

What's Growing In Your Garden? Horticultural Science

Turtle

I heard an anecdote the other day that Tom Jefferson had a contest with his neighbors to see who could bring peas to table first. The winner hosted a dinner party for the others. Apparently peas once sprouted can tolerate quite a lot of cold. I may try some peas; I have a little double-dug plot where I grow veggies. Peas anyone? :D

Last fall, I gave away the next to last Bonsai tree I had; my remaining tree I kept by someone's request. It is a 7 year old varigated cypress which I started from a cutting. I'll try to get a picture for you soon.

My obsession for Bonsai lasted about 8 years, during which time I collected over 120 trees with more than 60 varieties. I collected from the wild, collected & planted seeds, & started some from cuttings. I did not strictly adhear to Japanese traditions, either in my selection of species or manner of display.

It was good therapy for a few years, but then became a burdensome entanglement. Twice a day, everyday, they had to be watered... Anyway, I have just the one now, & an uncomprable connection to trees still. ;)

I mentioned "double dug" in the first post & this is a technique I see touted around. As the name implies, the garden is dug twice the normal depth. (18" to 24" or so) The next principle of the technique is to plant with closer spacing than normal; they say on a hexagonal pattern.

So I have this little plot I used this on, layed out in a Goleden Rectangle (a little magic never hurts, right?). I haveplanted veggies in it 2 years now & veggies is what grew. I can't say if this technique is more productive than the normal techniques as this is my first veggie garden.

I can't find pea seeds in the regular stores yet so nothing more to tell for now. Happy gardening. :)

We are going to try a veggie garden this year, for a science project. Each of the children gets to have two rows, and they get to plant whatever they want... the trick is getting them to research what will grow in our climate, and if the location we have choen will be good for what they choose... also, they have to research what should be planted when, and how much it needs to be watered, etc... it should be quite educational, and hopefully very tasty...

we try to do flowers every year, and that is always a treat. the veggies should be fun though... i haven't done them since living with my grandmopther one glorious year when i was about 8... i watered every day, watched things come up, and was amazed at how much better the tomatoes tasted than the ones i bought in the store... also the only time i can ever remember eating anything straight out of the ground, and i've never had better carrots! i'm hoping that my children will enjoy the same sort of success...

Gardening is an excellent way to engae children dynamically. Patience, cooperation, physical exertion, caring, science... You get the idea. Excellent point Irish.

I have found no Pea seeds yet, but I tilled under & raked my little plot (approx. 4'x6') this week in preperation for Spring. :cup:

• 2 weeks later...

___Hello again gardening people. I finally have a picture of my last bonsai ___ It is a varigated cypress, about 7" tall, & about 8 years old. I started it as a cutting & used some rooting hormone to help things along. For the last 3 years, it has lived as you see it on a shelf in a covered porch. It rarely receives direct light & as most bonsai do, requires regular watering.

___I found bonsais left outside tended to naturally aquire moss spores & grow moss over the soil; this even if I spread gravel or rock. The gravel serves to keep the soil from washing away during watering, it helps the soil retain moisture, & it adds visual interest to the setting.

___Well, I tend to run on. Just make yourself small & have a seat under my little cypress. :(

___Weelll, almost the end of February & we here in my corner of the world have a near-record dry month. I still have no pea seeds, but I did break out the hose yesterday & water my little garden thouroughly. Peas or otherwise, I intend to plant something veggie.

___I also grow a little patch of Sunflowers out front in the Sun; last year early fall rains rotted the harvest. I have an Apple tree too, which bore no flowers last year due to a heavy pruning. I hope for flowers this year & if flowers come I hope the bees make it too.:eek: (We need more 'Garden' Smilies)

Good news! 1/10 inch rain last night & 1/10 the night before that. The ground is happy today. We have some daffodils in bloom already in the yard, & a camelia, a hackberry, & an oregon grape. Risky business for them if we have a sudden turn back to winter weather.

How does your garden grow?:naughty: :hihi:

___Well, there's nothing like watching peas grow, ehh? I have 12 little peat pots with seeds starting indoors & since we are having what appears to be an early spring, I'm gowing to sow the rest directly in the ground.

___One way or another, I will bring peas to table.

Does a watched pea pot grow? :confused:

I have a jade plant (Crassula argentea). All I have to do for it is water it when I remember to (About opnce a week) and I tend to turn it in the window when I do this to keep it from growing too lop-sided. It is doing well, I am having to re-pot the plant soon; It has gotten too big for the pot it has. Not too bad for buying from the clearence rack at Target because it was raggedy looking.

Jade plants are cool. Easy to clone, long lived, nice to touch, interesting bark, & not too fussy. How big is it now?

___By the by, 5 of the 12 peas in a pot have sprouted today. The garden guy told me they would take a long time to germinate. What's it been; 4 days? Maybe it's the volcano! I have volcano peas!

___Now I don't put but 1 seed in each hole, contrary to what they all say. So wasteful for the few I grow; I especially hate plucking new baby plants like they say when 2 or more come up. Put all that time & care in & then just pinch it off; no, I take my chances with 1 per pot/hole. If they grow they grow, if nothing comes up I try another seed. :Alien:

___I haven't any pictures, but today I put 6 little pea plants into the ground in the garden. The other six in the tray are having a rough go of things. That's 11 days now & I think the package said 6 weeks to harvest. Each little plant had 2 sets of well formed leaves & a well developed root system; into the bottom of each planting hole I sprinkled some 4-4-4 organic fertilizer. We have lately night temps about 40 deg F, but this week they are forecasting lower. If you remember, our little peas are supposed to tolerate even frezzing weather now.

___Also in one corner of the garden, I planted 3 red onions from last years harvest as they had shoots starting.

___What's growing in your gardens? :)

___Today find a photo of the little pea plants in the garden in the Gallery @

http://www.hypography.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=83&c=3

___We have received some rain over the last several days; I measured .35" in the gauge yesterday. The evenings are cooler again & the peas seem to be holding their own with this now typical March weather. We still here in the PNW have a serious drought situation with both rainfall & snowpacks at near record low levels for the last 150 years or so.

___I think next time I get out I will pick up some radish seeds for the garden & as we lengthen into Spring a tomatoe plant or two will follow.

___Keep on growing! ;)

___Thanks on the photo compliment; seems we are figuring the images out well enough.

___What flowers do you grow? We have a round headed kid that lives in the house & last year the local burger joint gave out little plastic shovels & rakes & packets of seeds. We did a little plot out front with Asters together & now I see we have lots of little Aster shoots that have reseeded.

___Anyway, when does Spring come to you guys in Oslo & what flowers will you grow? ;)